75G Aquarium - Toddler Safety Concerns?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JPA

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello all,

I'm getting back into the hobby after a long absence. I'm considering getting a 75 gallon glass tank. But unlike in the past, I now have a young child, soon to be a toddler. The place it makes the most sense to place the tank is in a common room where she will spend a lot of time.

I'm hoping someone here with young children can let me know about their experiences. Would a large tank pose any danger to a child, assuming all cords etc. are placed out of reach? Any chance a stray thrown toy could shatter it, etc.?

Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks!

Yes, a flying toy, big stick/broom/mop, metal truck, could easily cause a small catastrophe.

An acrylic tank could be a possibility. Much lighter weight and tougher around children and accidental moving objects.

Acrylic tanks are also easily scratched if not cared for /cleaned properly. More expensive if bought new than an equal size glass tank (as long as it isn't a specialty tank).

Kids can be reckless just by their age and inexperience even if they love fish. My Grandkiddos are young and I get a bit unnerved at times seeing things waving around near the tank tbh.

You're taking your chances. Lol. I'd go acrylic which would just be a scratch rather than a crack or break in glass. Or get a custom tank with thicker glass.

I wonder if anyone has tested this on an old tank lol. I was thinking mine is 1cm thick glass and pretty ok. Metal truck I’m not so sure on now though, didn’t think of that..

Back
Top Bottom