90 gallon tank and apartment floor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreamingdragon

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi everbody I just want to know if. A full set up 90 galon tank would hold on my apartment floor I read that it could be up to 850 ponds wat could I do to make this work.

You would really have to ask your landlord. No two of our homes are likely to have the same structural support. You would have to know the age of the building, where the joists are and have intimate knowledge of the sub-flooring.

If its a modern apartment, you should have no issues provided you don't set in on a stand with feet. If you can determine the location, its best to run perpendicular to the floor joists rather than parallel.

Just depends on how well the building is built. But if it does damage the floor you might be responsible for damages...and that could get expensive. Look over your lease very carefully.

Wy Renegade said:
If its a modern apartment, you should have no issues provided you don't set in on a stand with feet. If you can determine the location, its best to run perpendicular to the floor joists rather than parallel.

That is a good point, if you put a big piece of wood under the stand it would distribute the weight more evenly. But that would permanently flatten the carpet.

The problem is I live on the second floor. But the complex or cheap build with cheap wood. I just asked the landlord he sad it's a no no. The floor woint support it. A 55g is the biggest tank that can go in these apartment. There goes my plan. I doint want to put my jd,s and gt in a 55g -:(

if the building is concrete u should b kool but check with the strata managment they will no

Now build out if cheap wood floor. But the maintenance man is going to look up to support that tank. And see what the strongest point is in my apt building so I waiting for that

hi dream sorry been out on my bike,but as u were saying get the maintenance guy to look at it and he might b able to work something out good luck

You're really fortunate that they are even willing to help you on this. Ultimately, they're saving their own property if the floor cannot support the weight, but still, I'm impressed.

I,m lucky with the maintaince man. He lives on this property on firstfloor and has a 125 reef tank. He is lucky and has concrete floor. He still not sure about if it will hold it. he offert me to move to the first floor. So me and my wife debating it. he loves my fish. And the 29g is way to small for my jd,s and gt. My male jd is allready 6 inch female is 4 inch and so is my gt 4 inch. They or fine for now but they have to go to a bigger tank soon. So I,m brainstorming. What is the best to do. Because I set up both tanks. In my 29 or also africans cichilds. So I have a littelbit time to figure it oll out. It,s fun to do so. The idee is to split the tank.

We live on the second floor and we have a 90 gallon tank on our living room. No problem yet. It's on a wooden stand so the weigh is distributed evenly. So far the floor shows no warping or anything. Our landlord was stupid we told her we had about 10 fish and she said fish were ok and in our lease it says 10 fish ate allowed to be kept with a tightly firing lid. Lol! She didn't bother to put how big the tank can or cannot exceed.

TraceyB4602 said:
We live on the second floor and we have a 90 gallon tank on our living room. No problem yet. It's on a wooden stand so the weigh is distributed evenly. So far the floor shows no warping or anything. Our landlord was stupid we told her we had about 10 fish and she said fish were ok and in our lease it says 10 fish ate allowed to be kept with a tightly firing lid. Lol! She didn't bother to put how big the tank can or cannot exceed.

I don't think the landlord was stupid, just not well informed about fishkeeping and doesn't realize how big ten fish can get, how much space a certain species requires, etc. Or how much a big tank can weigh when fully set up. Myself, I would have told the landlord what size the tank was. :)

Back
Top Bottom