Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
View Poll Results: what do you think about this?
yes 10 58.82%
no 5 29.41%
maybe if I had some more information 1 5.88%
you're crazy (of course this is said with AA love) 1 5.88%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-12-2005, 09:43 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to deli_conker
The way I approach any decision like this is the following...

If I have any doubts, I don't do it.

IMHO, the fact that you have to ask other people what they think about it shows that you are not 100% certain about this.

I know what it's like to want to get something you really want although you can't realistically afford it financially or manage the time required to truly care for it. Consider everyone involved and choose what's best.

Old 10-12-2005, 10:01 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

even if you have no doubt, it is good to double check yourself because you could still be wrong. That is how I approached this. And because it is such a HUGE thing I am exploring I want to see my options and see what I have and more importantly what I might not have and could be overlooking. It is also good to hear the positive and negative, though the unfortunate experiences shared do put a damper on it.

Also, my main question was about the proposal to my parents, not necessarily whether or not I should do this.

Andos, thank you for sharing that experience. It is a good reality check because even though I have been around horses since I was nine, I have never been in complete ownership of a horse before.

Skyrmyr (and ClamKnuckle), I believe I am with you on this one. I put my riding off by coming to college to have a fall-back option (done for my parents, but I do see the logic). Now that I am graduating, I am determined to get back on track. I know I would absolutly regret not going after this as a career. Now the kicker, if I did this, would it set me back farther from what I want? It is a fine line. If I am successful then I will be much farther along to my goal, if I am not, I will probably be a few steps back (as far as money goes at least).

Thanks again everyone (positive and negative)

Old 10-12-2005, 11:11 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

I voted no to the proposal Nichole. Consider this. You're an adult now and should be breaking the financial ties to your parents. The less you go to them for monetary wants, the happier you'll be with yourself.

Parents can be great when it comes to helping out for the real needs in your life. Owning a horse is a luxury and something that you should do 100% on your own. If you need their assistance to purchase the horse, it means the time isn't right for such a luxury.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:29 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via MSN to Zagz
At least you have made an educated choice based on a lot of thought. I wish you well in your endeavour and hope that everything works out for the best!

-----------
Site Administrator
Old 10-12-2005, 01:25 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I voted no to the proposal Nichole. Consider this. You're an adult now and should be breaking the financial ties to your parents. The less you go to them for monetary wants, the happier you'll be with yourself.

Parents can be great when it comes to helping out for the real needs in your life. Owning a horse is a luxury and something that you should do 100% on your own. If you need their assistance to purchase the horse, it means the time isn't right for such a luxury
very good points Brian. In fact, my parents even said as soon as I graduate I am on my own..and they were clear that graduation must be completed in 4 years too!However, I never ask my parents for anything (monetary/luxery at least, I pay for my food, clothing, luxery things like movies, snowboarding equipment, fish stuff, etc...). I really don't feel comfortable in taking money from them for just anything that doesn't have a true purpose and I don't necessarily consider this a luxery because I want to ride professionally as well as teach students to ride. I want this to be my job. It is something I am good at and love dearly. The only way I can do this is to ride and I need a horse to do that. Yes, I am stretching that logic just a bit, but at least I am planning on paying off the initial cost of the horse in one year. Everything else would be covered by me. Technically, it would be just like taking a loan out from the bank, only I would have 1 year to pay them back instead of three months (and hopefully I wouldn't have to put up my car for collateral! 8O I don't think my parents are that tough )

Anyway, I don't want anyone to think I am being argumentative and not taking into consideration the logical reasons for NOT doing this. I am actually taking all to heart and am taking my time to research this and make sure it is doable (getting actual quotes from barns, vets and farriers, putting together a worst case scenario and if I could handle it). My responses here are to help myself think clearly of answers (and be truthful with myself) because I'm sure my parents may have similar points of concern.

I feel like I am going to a board of trustees with a huge proposal, and in a way, I am
Old 10-12-2005, 06:30 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well from a parent's perspective....here's what I'd tell my kid. $2500 isn't alot of money and yet it is. When you talk about buying an animal you have to be prepared to pay for everything and anything that could come up in the animals life. If you can't even pay to purchase the animal then you're not ready for it. If you really want a horse commit to saving the money for one. $2500 isn't alot to save up but it very well might be for a college kid in which case it's not the right time.

But then again maybe your parents aren't as mean as me
Old 10-12-2005, 06:46 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

nah, that's not mean but very reasonable!
Old 10-12-2005, 07:07 PM   #18

I don't want to misadvise you, so I'll just say that I'm sure you'll make the right decision!

Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com