A crazy proposal to my parents....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

what do you think about this?

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

• maybe if I had some more information

• you're crazy (of course this is said with AA love)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

rubysoho

Aquarium Advice Addict
Alright, I figure none of us can really be sensible when it comes to fish, but I also can not be sensible when it comes to horseback riding (my passion and a huge goal in my life) so I want to ask sensible non-horse people, or if there are a few horse people here they can certainly join in, what they think of this proposal that I would like to give my parents.

background: I'm 21, graduating in May, will have a job/location planned soon. I've been riding since I was 9, plan to make it my career someday but I've gone to college to have a fall-back plan as well as to get a job which will be my "means to an end" as far as monetary support goes. Now, I've found a beautiful horse with very nice confirmation who would be able to do what I would want. He is priced considerably low ($2500) because of a minor injury sustained that ended his racing career three months ago. However, if prognosis is good (I will have a vet check and ultrasound the injury), many horses never have a problem with the same injury this horse has received.

The Proposal: I will ask my parents to help me pay for the initial cost of the horse and will in turn repay their expenses over the next year. I can cover the cost of transporting, boarding, and other items needed for the horse. I am busy at school since this is my senior year but right now this horse needs time to relax and chill out after his racing career and now the injury. He would get the winter off to play and be a horse again. Come spring time I will slowly start working/retraining him. I will also have my job and location set by then (okay, this one is a big "if" I suppose, but I am still pretty confident). I do have enough money saved up, and will be aquiring more each month from my job (all goes to my saving account), for when I graduate to move and board the horse elsewhere. Technically this is my emergency money but even with the horse I would still have enough to sustain myself for about 5 months to set things right. If worse comes to worse, I could sell the horse for more than he would be purchased.

Okay, it is a little vague... I wanted to spare everyone the horsey details. But what do you all think? Am I crazy to try and do this at this point in my life. Sometimes I think I am, but I always feel a part of me is missing when I am not riding. And not to be cocky, but I could make this my career. I've helped retrain horses in the past as well as helped coach other riders, all with good results. Once I graduate I plan on being certified by the appropriate organizations to become an instructor... etc... so you can see I really am serious about this.

Thanks for listening, even if you tell me I am crazy, it still means a lot to me.

Ok, horse savy here. Yes I think you are jumping the gun. You are in college, me too, and as much as you'd like a horse right now are you sure you will be able to handle time and cost over the next few years. You'll be starting a career, moving to a new house?, paying college loans?, and being in otherwise unstable territory for a while. I'd put off buying a horse until you are settled and have a stable hold on life. You never know where life will take you after college. Even if you did happen to sell the horse for more, do you plan to not get attached to it until you are sure you can sell it? I myself wouldn't be able to do that. I'd also look on petfinder.com and adopt a horse if there is one in the area that fits what you are looking for.

How much does a horse cost in general? Er, a horse of this quality?

well, it just depends. In my location I am looking at $75/month for board at a local barn, lets say $80 every 4-6 weeks for shoeing, I already have winter blankets from way back in the day they would actually fit this horse I am looking at. Plus spring shots, $200. Honestly I have no problem covering any of this. However, it will go up drastically when I move to another location. I am looking at anywhere between $400 and $600 a month for boarding and probably $100 every 4-6 weeks for shoeing. It is just in the location I am at now, I have it pretty good as far as costs go.

You'll be starting a career, moving to a new house?, paying college loans?, and being in otherwise unstable territory for a while.

yes, this is the part where even I consider myself crazy. Thankfully I will not have any college loans. I am going into radio sales so I will have flexible hours as far as work goes. I do not plan to start in a big city so living costs should not be too expensive, plus even with the horse I have about 5 months of financial cushion to help me get on my feet.

As for selling the horse, of course I would be terribly attached. I can't ride a horse and not get attached! But, I am also one to know when I am over my head and as much as I might love the horse, for its sake I would sell it to someone who could better take care of the horse (if I were to ever be in this position).

My father started a horse farm because he loved horses, it became a labour of love. There are in addition to the costs you have stated, costs with vets, medicines when required, feeding if not included in boarding. If you decide to do it you will have to sacrifice a lot. While I commend you on thinking it through before you buy a horse, I think it would be prudent to wait and see what happens for a year or two. JMO

thanks Zags, I understand there are more costs related to horses than what I provided above. However, I listed the ones which I knew I would automatically encounter. I do see your point about waiting though.

Ok, someone has to speak up against the nay sayers. While first and foremost your looking at a big financial risk at a time when your just getting started in life. Aside from financial risk, there's the welfare of the animal to consider if things go south.

The other side of the argument is that yes, you are just starting out in life. If things do turn south financialy, then you have a lot of life ahead of you to clean it up. It may set you back a lot, but you've got the time to work through problems. If things do work out, you end up in a career that you love. That's pretty much a goal for everyone.

Not knowing you personally makes it hard to say really. It all depends on if your willing to face the music should the hard times come. If it's worth spending years scratching for a living while you rebuild a savings and rebuild credit if needed. Then yes it would be worth the risk.

As a note, this is coming from someone that royally screwed up at your age and has spent the last 15 years getting to where I could have been in life a decade ago. My risks didn't pay off, and it cost me. The thing is, I'd still try it again, and probably fail, yet the win of a life of doing what you care about and enjoy is worth it.

I'm not saying don't try for your dreams. But when a live animal is involved there is no reason not to get somewhat organized in your life before bringing an animal of that substance into it. It's no different than deciding when to have children in a way, you don't always choose when you will have kids, but if you have the option, you wait until you are financially and emotionally prepared. You don't give up the idea entirely by any means. You make sure you can provide the best possible care. I'm all for going for your dreams and career. God knows I made many mistakes that impeded my career, LOL I had my son at 16, I don't regret a thing, but I wish that my sons first years would have been able to be a bit easier because I had the means to support him without a great deal of difficulty. A horse is a large monetary and emotional expense, and in a year or two or whatever it takes, the risk will be less and the chance of success greater. IMO, there is nothing wrong with that. The fact that rubysoho has the prescence of mind to think things through tells me that he is mature enough to do whatever it took to make it work. He is obviously taking everything into consideration and sometimes outside input can bring to mind things that may not occur right off the bat to the individual. I say kudo's to you rubysoho, for thinking things through thouroughly.

I think life is too short and you have to do what makes you happy. As long as your able to properly care for the horse and it wont be unhappy/unhealthy in your care, then go or it. If you don't do what makes you happy now then you will be regreting it forever. It's like you said, worse case you have to sell the horse, which would be tough for you and him, but thats worse case. Go for it, otherwise your going to be kicking yourself later.

My girlfriend was in a similar situation. Her parents helped her get a horse when she was 20 and it almost bankrupted her. Approx cost was 10K per year + 15-20 hours per week minimum in care. Balancing all of this while getting a teaching degree was no easy task. I would spend countless hours at the barn with her, washing, scrubbing, combing, etc. She was an American Saddlebred, a truly beautiful creature. Hardest thing she ever had to go through was coming to grips about selling her horse, considering how much she loved her. Horses are beautiful creatures, but should be left for those with a lot of time, a lot of money, and loads of dedication. My girlfriend had the dedication part down cold, but came up short on the other two and it broke my heart watching her deal with it.

The way I approach any decision like this is the following...

If I have any doubts, I don't do it.

IMHO, the fact that you have to ask other people what they think about it shows that you are not 100% certain about this.

I know what it's like to want to get something you really want although you can't realistically afford it financially or manage the time required to truly care for it. Consider everyone involved and choose what's best.

even if you have no doubt, it is good to double check yourself because you could still be wrong. That is how I approached this. And because it is such a HUGE thing I am exploring I want to see my options and see what I have and more importantly what I might not have and could be overlooking. It is also good to hear the positive and negative, though the unfortunate experiences shared do put a damper on it.

Also, my main question was about the proposal to my parents, not necessarily whether or not I should do this.

Andos, thank you for sharing that experience. It is a good reality check because even though I have been around horses since I was nine, I have never been in complete ownership of a horse before.

Skyrmyr (and ClamKnuckle), I believe I am with you on this one. I put my riding off by coming to college to have a fall-back option (done for my parents, but I do see the logic). Now that I am graduating, I am determined to get back on track. I know I would absolutly regret not going after this as a career. Now the kicker, if I did this, would it set me back farther from what I want? It is a fine line. If I am successful then I will be much farther along to my goal, if I am not, I will probably be a few steps back (as far as money goes at least).

Thanks again everyone (positive and negative) :D

I voted no to the proposal Nichole. Consider this. You're an adult now and should be breaking the financial ties to your parents. The less you go to them for monetary wants, the happier you'll be with yourself.

Parents can be great when it comes to helping out for the real needs in your life. Owning a horse is a luxury and something that you should do 100% on your own. If you need their assistance to purchase the horse, it means the time isn't right for such a luxury.

At least you have made an educated choice based on a lot of thought. I wish you well in your endeavour and hope that everything works out for the best!

I voted no to the proposal Nichole. Consider this. You're an adult now and should be breaking the financial ties to your parents. The less you go to them for monetary wants, the happier you'll be with yourself.

Parents can be great when it comes to helping out for the real needs in your life. Owning a horse is a luxury and something that you should do 100% on your own. If you need their assistance to purchase the horse, it means the time isn't right for such a luxury

very good points Brian. In fact, my parents even said as soon as I graduate I am on my own..and they were clear that graduation must be completed in 4 years too!However, I never ask my parents for anything (monetary/luxery at least, I pay for my food, clothing, luxery things like movies, snowboarding equipment, fish stuff, etc...). I really don't feel comfortable in taking money from them for just anything that doesn't have a true purpose and I don't necessarily consider this a luxery because I want to ride professionally as well as teach students to ride. I want this to be my job. It is something I am good at and love dearly. The only way I can do this is to ride and I need a horse to do that. Yes, I am stretching that logic just a bit, but at least I am planning on paying off the initial cost of the horse in one year. Everything else would be covered by me. Technically, it would be just like taking a loan out from the bank, only I would have 1 year to pay them back instead of three months (and hopefully I wouldn't have to put up my car for collateral! 8O I don't think my parents are that tough :) )

Anyway, I don't want anyone to think I am being argumentative and not taking into consideration the logical reasons for NOT doing this. I am actually taking all to heart and am taking my time to research this and make sure it is doable (getting actual quotes from barns, vets and farriers, putting together a worst case scenario and if I could handle it). My responses here are to help myself think clearly of answers (and be truthful with myself) because I'm sure my parents may have similar points of concern.

I feel like I am going to a board of trustees with a huge proposal, and in a way, I am :D

Well from a parent's perspective....here's what I'd tell my kid. $2500 isn't alot of money and yet it is. When you talk about buying an animal you have to be prepared to pay for everything and anything that could come up in the animals life. If you can't even pay to purchase the animal then you're not ready for it. If you really want a horse commit to saving the money for one. $2500 isn't alot to save up but it very well might be for a college kid in which case it's not the right time.

But then again maybe your parents aren't as mean as me :mrgreen:

I don't want to misadvise you, so I'll just say that I'm sure you'll make the right decision! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom