Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-09-2012, 03:44 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Petstores also use a slew of chemicals not designed for human consumption.

Old 06-09-2012, 04:24 PM   #12
come get me tang police!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiroptera View Post
Yeah.. isn't it against most religion? Whatever happened to "love all creations and life" etc..?
Let's not get religion involved in this discussion please. If you want to discuss the apologetics aspect of this topic though feel free to PM me and I'll answer your question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodFan View Post
Petstores also use a slew of chemicals not designed for human consumption.
So now they are using a slew of chemicals? I thought the fish were diseased and in dirty water? Again another assumption about a LFS and we aren't even sure which one these fish are coming from. Isn't it a little unfair to claim that this LFS has diseased fish and dirty water and also that they use a slew of chemicals when we don't even know which one it is?

The problem with threads like these is not the subject, because you have a great subject going, but the bashing is unnecessary and obviously not factual since we don't even know where these fish are coming from.

I agree with you on that its a dumb idea but I don't want to see this as a platform to bash a LFS that may or may not even be involved.

Old 06-09-2012, 04:32 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Sorry Jeta, it was the first thing I thought when I first saw the thread, probably coulda kept that one to myself. :P

I mean, if the employee ends up going for it, and then gets sick, you can always say 'I told you so.' it's a horrible way to think about it but no one who knew of it would ever try the same stunt? If you can't prevent it, and the person won't listen, then you just have to watch for the outcome.
- x3 Panda Garra
Chiroptera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 04:41 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetajockey View Post
Let's not get religion involved in this discussion please. If you want to discuss the apologetics aspect of this topic though feel free to PM me and I'll answer your question.

So now they are using a slew of chemicals? I thought the fish were diseased and in dirty water? Again another assumption about a LFS and we aren't even sure which one these fish are coming from. Isn't it a little unfair to claim that this LFS has diseased fish and dirty water and also that they use a slew of chemicals when we don't even know which one it is?

The problem with threads like these is not the subject, because you have a great subject going, but the bashing is unnecessary and obviously not factual since we don't even know where these fish are coming from.

I agree with you on that its a dumb idea but I don't want to see this as a platform to bash a LFS that may or may not even be involved.
I am not trying to bash however I have 2 reasons for saying this. 1 our petsmarts do use a vunch of chemicals needed or not. That is what they told me anyway unless I remember incorrectly. Also they have overstocked tanks that usually do carry diseases.
I dont mean to bash but we are not like some of the other members on here who got good petsmarts. Ours have nice enough employees and the fish are usually in ok condition but they know next to nothing about fish.
I agree I dont want this to be about bashing the chains though. ALL petstores have alot of diseases in the tank (why we use QT) but alot keep the fish healthy enough so that the fish's immune system resist the disease.
Old 06-09-2012, 04:53 PM   #15
come get me tang police!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodFan View Post
ALL petstores have alot of diseases in the tank (why we use QT) but alot keep the fish healthy enough so that the fish's immune system resist the disease.
I agree with your response up until this point. I don't believe that ALL petstores have alot, or any diseases in their tanks. I've been to some pet stores that do, but most do not have any that I've seen. Again, it would not make much business sense to allow disease to run rampant in your stock tanks.

I use QT as a precaution in the event that I got a diseased fish (and with wild fish because they often carry parasites), but I don't QT because I think that all of the stores are disease infested.

I do agree that healthy fish are less susceptible to these issues, but it does not mean that there is disease just ever-present in the water.
Old 06-09-2012, 05:29 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I agree with your response up until this point. I don't believe that ALL petstores have alot, or any diseases in their tanks. I've been to some pet stores that do, but most do not have any that I've seen. Again, it would not make much business sense to allow disease to run rampant in your stock tanks.

I use QT as a precaution in the event that I got a diseased fish (and with wild fish because they often carry parasites), but I don't QT because I think that all of the stores are disease infested.

I do agree that healthy fish are less susceptible to these issues, but it does not mean that there is disease just ever-present in the water.
I may have misunderstood something then. I was under the impression that all tanks even ours at home had diseases in it. I know ich is like that but I assumed others were too. Sorry.
I think we are really on the same page for the most part.
Old 06-09-2012, 05:35 PM   #17
come get me tang police!

I'm not a biologist. I've seen some arguments about ich also, and I tend to lean in the direction that it's not ever-present in water either. I've not found anything about ich having a dormant/spore stage and then later becoming active once a host arrives. They are an obligate parasite.

Have a read at this link, its really informative. That entire site is. Ich | The Skeptical Aquarist
Old 06-09-2012, 05:50 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I'm not a biologist. I've seen some arguments about ich also, and I tend to lean in the direction that it's not ever-present in water either. I've not found anything about ich having a dormant/spore stage and then later becoming active once a host arrives. They are an obligate parasite.

Have a read at this link, its really informative. That entire site is. Ich | The Skeptical Aquarist
Ok I see. So that is not necesarrily the case. I think we are on the same page completely now lol
Old 06-09-2012, 07:18 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok I know this is wrong and don't judge but I've swallowed a goldfish before and i'm not dead yet, they do it all of the time at a bar down here at the lake.

But please don't take my comment as an ok to go swallow a fish, mine was a not very well thought out moment and I can't condone people running around eating goldies
Old 06-09-2012, 07:41 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly_koi View Post
Ok I know this is wrong and don't judge but I've swallowed a goldfish before and i'm not dead yet, they do it all of the time at a bar down here at the lake.

But please don't take my comment as an ok to go swallow a fish, mine was a not very well thought out moment and I can't condone people running around eating goldies
lol I ate a live minnow but it was wild and so hopefully without chems and such.
My problem is that yea people eat the goldies (I know people who have as well) but it only takes 1 time to eat one with TB before you are seriously ill or dead.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com