Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-27-2014, 10:20 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Brookster123, I understand there are wrong ways to be an aquariums hobbiest. What I was trying to say is everyone has a different way of fish keeping. You don't have to take their advice but be considerate and open minded.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 12-27-2014, 10:25 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacey W. View Post
Brookster123, I understand there are wrong ways to be an aquariums hobbiest. What I was trying to say is everyone has a different way of fish keeping. You don't have to take their advice but be considerate and open minded.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
That's cool... different. . Right...wrong....up.. down... I'll stick with the countless others that have helped me ohh so much.. sweet or sour?? Knowledge has no flavor. .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 04-25-2015, 10:34 AM   #33
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillD View Post
Unfortunately, there are many myths in the hobby, that took on a new life with the advent of forums. Someone reads something, believes it to be fact and repeats it. If you see something enough times you will tend to believe it. While forums are a great way of disseminating knowledge, the down side is that opinion is presented as fact. You can strongly believe something and still be wrong. Sometimes there is only one right way.
You don't have to spend much time on forums to see that everyone knows more about filtration than the manufacturers. I don't know if I have ever seen anyone agree that a manufacturers claim as to capacity of a filter is correct. More than likely they will say you need two.

I agree with this. After reading this forum for a few months now, it becomes almost comical to watch. Someone posts "I think my female guppy is pregnant" and the first few replies are "your tank is overstocked and uncycled." Huh? While those can be two big issues to consider in fishkeeping, they are not always "the" issue. But some people like to constantly repeat what they have read, most likely on this forum, and present it to others as fact. Notice I said "read", because I have noticed a few members making harsh blanket statements about fish that they have never owned (based on their own admission).
People who don't care about the well being of their fish don't take the time to look up, read and ask questions on a fish forum. Let's keep that in mind. Be tactful and try to give advice that is based only on either your own experience or your own extensive research from reliable sources. And state it as such. "In my experience" or "my research on this issue"...

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice
Old 06-18-2015, 09:51 AM   #34
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Happy to read the " rules of engagement" for the site. Looking forward to learning much from the members!.
Old 09-16-2015, 11:16 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ben Franklin made the point of using the phrase "I may be wrong about this, but ..." when he needed to disagree with someone's opinion or belief. It's a powerful tool to open dialog and guide discussion in the direction desired.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com