A Goldfish for Easter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ocminpin

Aquarium Advice Addict
I remember when I was 5 yrs old the Easter Bunny left me a note in my Easter Basket... "Check in Mommy's Bathtub" .... I raced in and found a goldfish in a little bowl...
I remember how hard I cried my little heart felt tears when I was devastated a few weeks later when "Goldie" died...

Thinking back to those days I used to run to the Goldfish Booths at the carnival and usually come home with 2-3. I also remember coming home from school and walking into the bathroom smelling that horrible smell coming from the bowl. The water was yellow and poop covered the bottom... I dumped the water daily and refilled ... Though I hated changing it.

Knowing what I know now, and knowing those poor little 2" Common Goldfish had a potential of 12" until they reached my little bowl or pickle jar.
I'm sad today for those little lives of the past... And that's why I keep my fish in the best possible conditions I have my 3 tanks in today.

Just a little story I thought I'd get out there. I'm sure many of us have had experiences just like this as children...

I embarrassingly enough bought a Berta fish several years ago that was in a glass block. No filter or heater at all. I changed water every couple weeks if I remembered and had the time. Of course after he died and I found this great place. I will always feel bad for my fishy beta friend. RIP Rudolph.

I went to a day camp during the summer. They had a carnival and were using guppys as prizes. Meanwhile they kept them in a bucket used for carwashes with a bubbler. No food . Let's just say I acquired some new fish and not because of my skill for carnival games.

Dana180 said:
I embarrassingly enough bought a Berta fish several years ago that was in a glass block. No filter or heater at all. I changed water every couple weeks if I remembered and had the time. Of course after he died and I found this great place. I will always feel bad for my fishy beta friend. RIP Rudolph.

Similar thing happened to me, except after a few months of my male king betta in that square case thing, I thought "wish he had a filter," then "more space," then "a heater"...... 7 months later I have 2 tanks, a new hobby for my gf to tolerate, and this site. I'd say it all ended up for the best :(y):

Same here! I went from a pathetic glass block "tank" holding a single betta to a 46 gallon bow. I've learned from my mistakes and enjoy my tank so much! My kids are now hounding me for a saltwater tank. Saltwater just seems too complicated

ocminpin said:
I remember when I was 5 yrs old the Easter Bunny left me a note in my Easter Basket... "Check in Mommy's Bathtub" .... I raced in and found a goldfish in a little bowl...
I remember how hard I cried my little heart felt tears when I was devastated a few weeks later when "Goldie" died...

Thinking back to those days I used to run to the Goldfish Booths at the carnival and usually come home with 2-3. I also remember coming home from school and walking into the bathroom smelling that horrible smell coming from the bowl. The water was yellow and poop covered the bottom... I dumped the water daily and refilled ... Though I hated changing it.

Knowing what I know now, and knowing those poor little 2" Common Goldfish had a potential of 12" until they reached my little bowl or pickle jar.
I'm sad today for those little lives of the past... And that's why I keep my fish in the best possible conditions I have my 3 tanks in today.

Just a little story I thought I'd get out there. I'm sure many of us have had experiences just like this as children...

Oh man, im guilty of the goldfish at the carnival thing. I feel so bad lol. I kept it in the bowl, and it lived like 9 months-which is not so impressive at all.

Worse thing is, it was LAST year lol

Back
Top Bottom