Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-22-2006, 03:02 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to crazyred
A 'must read' for all aquarists

I found this interesting article on releasing aquarium species (both fresh and salt) into non-native waters and I found it highly educational and wanted to share:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,207878,00.html

55 gal.FW: 4 platies, 3 angelfish, 3 Cochu's blue tetras, 2 Rummynose tetras, 4 A. cacatuoides, 1 A. trifasciata, 2 blue rams, 6 Von Rio tetras, 1 Queen Arabesque pleco

29 Gal. FW: 2 variatus platies, 6 cherry barbs, 10 harlequin rasboras, 1 opaline gourami, 1 hillstream loach, 1 Rio Jari pleco (L-316), 1 GBR

10 Gal. FW: 1 african clawed frog, 1 dwarf flame gourami

10 Gal. FW:tons of blue ram fry

(4) 2 Gal. FW: all four with male bettas
Old 08-22-2006, 03:38 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

This isn't the first time a local Fisherman has caught a Pacu, seems to be a common occurrence now.

IIRC, the last one I read about had some nice teeth, pretty evenly spaced.

Old 08-22-2006, 04:04 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64

Yeah, it was about a month ago. Some one posted another article.

+++EDIT+++
DUH! It was me.....LOL! Man, I need a vacation!

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
Old 08-22-2006, 04:20 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Re: A 'must read' for all aquarists

Quote:
Originally Posted by roka64
Yeah, it was about a month ago. Some one posted another article.

+++EDIT+++
DUH! It was me.....LOL! Man, I need a vacation!
LOL...yeah it was you! Let me know your vacation plans, I think I should join you.
Old 08-22-2006, 04:25 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah, but they always focus on freshwater. This is the first I've heard of a lionfish population in an area of the ocean where they're not supposed to be. Maybe I just wasn't paying attention. Anyway, still interesting.

55 gal.FW: 4 platies, 3 angelfish, 3 Cochu's blue tetras, 2 Rummynose tetras, 4 A. cacatuoides, 1 A. trifasciata, 2 blue rams, 6 Von Rio tetras, 1 Queen Arabesque pleco

29 Gal. FW: 2 variatus platies, 6 cherry barbs, 10 harlequin rasboras, 1 opaline gourami, 1 hillstream loach, 1 Rio Jari pleco (L-316), 1 GBR

Old 08-22-2006, 04:33 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64

My apologies, crazyred! I didn't see that part...WOW!!! That is truley amazing.

Quote:
Let me know your vacation plans, I think I should join you.
LOL!! Pack your stuff!

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
Old 08-22-2006, 05:05 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I had heard of the sw incidents with the lionfish along the east coast and about the caulerpa on the west coast. There was a special on discovery channel about the caulerpa invasion that covered the kill off and how they are trying to control it now that it's there. People just don't look at the big picture when they make the decisions to dump these creatures. They are either ignorant and think they are doing what's best in saving the fish. Or just don't care if their children and childrens children will get the chance to see some of the indigenous species of fish and plants that will be killed off or go extinct due to continual dumping of predatory fish and invasive plants. That's why most of us are here. To try and educate who we can and hope for the best. There are so many issues with our oceans and reefs, transplanted fish and plants are just one more thing it doesn't need and when the small reef fish and inverts that keep things on a equal level are gone, and once the algaes have smothered out the corals, we will be loosing sooo much. The same goes for fw and why more states are making keeping some of these fish illegal. They really need to make more of them illegal to sell or at least difficult to aquire. But, then that gets complicated. So, we'll just have to keep on preaching to anyone who will listen. Ok, off my soap box.
Old 08-24-2006, 07:02 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to vsnsofadrgn
that makes me so sad.

hope dies last
Old 08-24-2006, 08:14 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to WaterPond Send a message via Yahoo to WaterPond
I live on a river that connects to lake huron. There have been many times during the summer that people have caught pirahnas and pacus. There were even rumors of a female bullshark in the bay that my town is built around. It is said that someone released it from their SW tank, and it adapted to FW. We also have alot of koi in the bay.

Canadian Aquarium Auction!
Old 08-24-2006, 10:59 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Bullsharks naturally adapt from fresh to salt and back in the wild. They are the only shark known to do so. Many, many bullsharks have been found in rivers that empty into the ocean.....in fact, females return to freshwater to have their pups. When the pups reach adulthood they swim back down river into the ocean. Totally natural. Infact, many people are attacked and killed in rivers by sharks and experts are pretty sure it's bullsharks. They think it was a bullshark that killed a couple of people in a river in New Jersey (I think) back in like 1916. Just FYI. I'm not aware of any aquarists keeping bullsharks.

Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com