Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-21-2005, 01:20 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClamKnuckle
UM...does it bother anyone that he was a Nazi, or that you don't hear the fact that he was a Nazi mentioned anywhere (atleast I don't)
He and his family were never pro-Nazi. He was, however, a member of the Hitler Youth and an anti-aircraft crewmember in the closing weeks of the war. Initially, I was quite disturbed by this too.

Joseph Ratzinger (b. 1927) was 18 years old when the war in Europe ended. Membership in the Hitler Youth was made compulsory in 1941, when Ratzinger was 14 - it's not like he had much of a choice. When he was 18, he was drafted into the army, where he manned a flak battery. He deserted his post before the war's end.

I'm hopeful that the new Pope will take up where John Paul II left off as far as improving relations between the Catholic Church and Judaism. In fact, both the Simon Wiesenthal Center and the Jewish Anti-Defamation League have welcomed Benedict XVI.

http://beta.news.yahoo.com/s/afp/vaticanpopegermany

Old 04-21-2005, 07:52 AM   #22
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
There is this little thing called forgiveness aswell. Things done in ones past before comming to crist is forgiven and forgotten in most churches. Im not catholic so I dont know how much its practiced but im almost certin thats what that confession thing is for.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
Old 04-21-2005, 08:07 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to dr_girlfriend
I think they'll be picking a new one not to long from now anyway. Isn't the guy like 78?
I don't really care if he was a part of the nazi party or not. Even if he was pro-nazi its not like he has any "real" power like popes had back in the day. And odds are he didn't really have a choice to be against hitler. Schwarzzeneggers father was in the same deal, and they had that big contoversey when he was running for govenor.

We weep for the bird's cry, but not for the blood of a fish. Blessed are those who have voice.

Pinky: "What are those Brain?" (pointing to a group of people protesting)
Brain: "People without jobs Pinky."

N. California aquarium maintenance, scuba certification, and boat services.

Need computer services in N. California? Click here!
Old 04-21-2005, 09:44 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
There is this little thing called forgiveness aswell. Things done in ones past before comming to crist is forgiven and forgotten in most churches. Im not catholic so I dont know how much its practiced but im almost certin thats what that confession thing is for.

I just heard he was a nazi, i didnt know the specifics on it. When i think nazi, i think things that no matter what is said or done afterwards warrant forgiveness in my mind. Being forced into a situation is one thing, but if he believed the ideology i dont care if he is the pope i couldnt forgive or overlook that, 60 years gone by or not. But that's just my opinion. If he was forced into the situation and wasn't a beliver of the cause then this is all a mute point anyway
Old 04-21-2005, 09:49 AM   #25
AA Team Emeritus

When I was a teenager I believed many things that I do not believe now and it hasn't been 60 years since I was a teenager. I agree with you, but a life devoted to God makes up for quite a few issues you may have had as a child.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com