A new Pope has been named.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Habemus papam. Yay.

At 78, I wonder how long he'll be, um, active in his role as pope.

God rules, btw, and only HE is the 'Holy Father'.

Darn.......and here I was thinking that our Belgian Cardinal would become pope.

Ah well, good that we have a new pope! Congrats Benedictus XVI!

Congrats...but what's this we stuff, I do not now, nor have I ever had a pope. Please do not faust one upon me ;)

HAHA. I was thinking the same thing. After all its only those who practice catholisium that have the pope. Although the former Pope John Paul II was IMO a true peoples pope and that nearly everyone could respect him as a person all that he had to endure over his term.

The title of this post has been amended. There was no intention of fausting. The word "we" was used incorrectly. The author apologizes if anyone has been offended.

i tried telling my US gov class and they told me i was insane and it was all black smoke yesterday and this morning

and i knew i was right this site will never lie to me, well not all the time

and they lock the cardinals in a room and starve them until they choose a new pope

lol i know its true tho i had to learn it for school back when i went to private school, also it wasnt a cathloic school it was lutheran

I don't belive they really starve them. Although in the past there where some times when the conclave went on for a very long time and certin things where done to 'incentivese' the cardnels into voting for someone a little bit faster.

Ratzingers new name is Benedict XVI. John Paul II was the name of the former pope. His name is not a part of the new pope's selected name.

Im supprised your fellow students and teacher was unaware Rudy as all this happened prior to 1pm yesterday. Plenty of time for anyone whom listens to the radio or watches any kind of TV to have seen or heard a report.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pope_Benedict_XVI

The choice of the name Benedict is also significant. The new Pope's birthday is on the 16 April and that day is the feast of Saint Benedict Joseph Labre (26 March 1748 - 16 April 1783), also known as the Holy Pilgrim. His first name was already Joseph and together with Benedict, which he has now assumed, his Christian namesake is now complete. In addition the previous Pope Benedict XV was seen as a conciliator who calmed the disputes between modernist and traditionalist factions with the Church, and the adoption of the name Benedict has been seen as a sign that Benedict XVI has similar goals. Additionally, Der Spiegel reports on an interview with cardinal Meisner, usually regarded as close to Ratzinger, stating that he chose Benedict because of Benedict XV who "did much for peace in the world". [1] (http://www.spiegel.de/panorama/0,1518,352346,00.html)

Some see Benedict as a traditionalist, others as merely orthodox, but almost all observers agree that he is a staunch defender of the Church. He is an opponent of homosexuality, same-sex marriage, euthanasia, and abortion.

UM...does it bother anyone that he was a Nazi, or that you don't hear the fact that he was a Nazi mentioned anywhere (atleast I don't)

From what I gathered he was apart of Hitlers youth something or other... but yes I heard he was a Nazi. He had to have been in his early teens- and a lot of people were forced to be apart of Hitlers army

But I don't know all the facts behind it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom