A not so hypothetical hypothetical situation.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jetajockey

come get me tang police!
Lets say that you are in a position to make things happen in a newly set up LFS, what would you do that would make your establishment stand out from the crowd? Keep in mind this is also looking at things from a business perspective but with a high regard to quality of life for the stock.

I would think that literature would help, a well informed staff that understands general information about the different species being sold as well as basic stocking plans with that species.

Coordinate tanks from community friendly small fish to large, aggressive, etc. Possibly color code them as well.

Also, some basic information on cycling on hand would be a must for me.

I would say a short, easy to read write up (2-3 pages) on the basics of fish keeping that can be freely available to all customers. Something that can be handed out at the checkout after purchases. One of my LFS do this but theirs is not very informative.

I'd like to see a QT section where fish "under observation" are kept, with a sign explaining why they are QT'd and the best way to treat the condition. Blows my mind when I walk into a store and see fish with ick swimming with healthier fish but no sign explaining what is going on.

That's another good point. I know one of my local LFS has little signs they put on some tanks that say that the fish isn't for sale for one reason or another, and I think they put them on not only when fish are reserved but when they are being treated for something or QTed.

A visible QT would be a great idea though, but on the same token I would not want to have an actual hospital tank in sight.

make sure people know and have what there fish need before the fish get sold

You've already covered much of what I would have brought to the table. :)

My lfs just got into a new store space and he did something really cool. He used special paint on the ceilings and walls that show up under black lights. Then he had his daughter, a budding artist, paint all kinds of fish. It's really a neat atmosphere.

Personally, I really think that the environment/atmosphere is huge. I would properly set up a couple display tanks in the entrance to the store. These tanks would contain not only compatable species, but would be appropriately stocked and aestetically pleasing to look at. They would contain fish and other organisms that are not for sale, and would be an example of what it looks like when its done right ~ along with a notice that it didn't get that way overnight.

Further, making sure the store is always clean and smells nice. The tanks need to be well maintained as do any cages of other small animals.

Personally nothing puts me off more than walking into a pet store and being hit by a wall of odar (usually urine, but sometimes nasty water smell), seeing unkept animals in unclean cages and aquariums that are poorly maintained.

I've never heard of anyone doing this but a "geek squad" could be a good idea... have one or two very experienced aquarists on call to help set up new tanks for "noobs" and help with any problems someone may be having... that alone I believe would build a reputation with your local aquarists that would keep them coming back and referring you to friends and family for new business

In case it hasn't been mentioned, how about an actual checklist for new fishkeepers. It could list the absolutely necessities for a tank, like the filter, heater, Prime, API master kit, etc.

Some of the stickies on this forum are things I think every new aquarist should read before jumping right in (such as the fishless cycling FAQ). Maybe if you typed something up like that or, heck, copy and paste, customers could have access to it.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I'm going to take pictures tomorrow as we set up, so if I have time I will post a play by play of the build. I've been given the opportunity to orchestrate a fish section addition into an already existing pet store. It's already been a blast, I will probably do a build thread on the subject and try to get some more input when the time comes to start adding little things like info papers, employee training, maintenance, etc.

Wow sounds like you've got your work cut out for you lol

You should make a video walk-through of your setups cause your pics are amazing and from what you talk about you must have one **** of a setup

I would have pre-seeded sponge filters and Biomax for sale for new aquarist so they can purchase everything from tanks, heaters, and related equipment and have fish swimming in a cycled tank when they get home.

HUKIT said:
I would have pre-seeded sponge filters and Biomax for sale for new aquarist so they can purchase everything from tanks, heaters, and related equipment and have fish swimming in a cycled tank when they get home.

Love, love, love the idea! That really is something a respected LFS should have available.

I'd have a big tank, maybe with a couple fx5's on it, just chewing through liquid ammonia you're feeding the tank every day.

Maybe be clever about it and have the sticker say
-Nitrifying bacteria
-Have a microscopic picture
-$x per ounce. Special promotion! Get a million for the price of one!
-Tank size requirement : .00001 to a billion gallons

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom