A small little vent...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sweetness8t5

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I was checking my LJ and this girl in my unviersity community posted the following, and it got me a little agitated:

We are looking to get a little, tiny turtle, but the guy at PetSmart said that they're illegal to buy & only "the guy at the mall" sells them. Has anybody gotten one from the guy at the mall? All the malls or one specific one? Does he also sell accessories or just illegal turtles?

Comments:

last_chance_314
2007-06-30 09:36 pm UTC (link)
I got two from the guy at the mall. He also sells their tanks, and little rocks for them to sun on, the food, pebbles, and things like that. I've also bought 2 tiny ones from a reptile store but that was in South Florida. I felt so bad because when I bought them he gave me them to take home in a little styrofoam cup and was like "don't leave them in here for longer then like 8 or 9 hours" I think he said because they would dry up but I had a tank ready for them at home.
(Reply to this)

last_chance_314
2007-06-30 09:39 pm UTC (link)
Oh yea, I got mine at the Regency Mall, I've seen them at the Avenues ONCE but it was like a year ago. The turtle man is usually right by the food court in front of the Hallmark store. They're so cute, I miss mine now :(
(Reply to this)(Thread)

oddessgoddess
2007-07-01 12:59 am UTC (link)
Thanks for the info! We didn't realize they were so labor intensive, nearly as much as fish. We've had a hermit crab & some fire belly toads & we just wanted a simple, easy to keep tiny pet again, but the tiny turtles seem like a lot of work. We might try some of those small crabs with the big claws.
(Reply to this)(Parent)

_recycle
2007-06-30 09:58 pm UTC (link)
I've seen them at regency, but do not buy one of those plastic island tanks with the little palm tree in it, no matter what he tries to sell you. that will slowly kill them. I'd recommend atleast a 10 gallon tank with a filter filled atleast half way with water with a rock with a large enough surface for them to be completely out of the water to sun, I used to work in a pet store, good luck, theyre fun!
(Reply to this)(Thread)

oddessgoddess
2007-07-01 12:59 am UTC (link)
Thanks for the info! We didn't realize they were so labor intensive, nearly as much as fish. We've had a hermit crab & some fire belly toads & we just wanted a simple, easy to keep tiny pet again, but the tiny turtles seem like a lot of work. We might try some of those small crabs with the big claws.

I responded with:
We might try some of those small crabs with the big claws.
Also known as fiddler crabs, the males are the ones that have that huge claw. I'm assuming that's what you're talking about.

And not to sound mean or anything, but I feel like any animal would be "labor intensive", considering it's a living, breathing creature and would require enough attention and care to live a full, happy life.

I mean, how would you feel if someone gave you just the bare minimum to stay alive..? :/

And her name is familiar, and if memory serves me right I got into it with this girl before over a dumb post. She was advertising that Extreme dating or some other dumb dating show like that was coming to Jax,FL and I told her it was a dumb and tasteless show.

Anywayz, yeah.
*onto homework*

People like that really cheese me off! I have a Yellow Belly Cooter that I "rescued from that guy that sells baby turtles out of the back of his van on U.S 19 (anybody that has been to the gulf coast of the state anywhere between Weekiwachi and Tampa have probably seen this guy)when I lived down there, and I feel that it doen't matter if my little buddy Skippy is labor intensive, although all of my pets are better taken care of than I am. She probably didn't even know that Fiddler Crabs are a brackish/ salt critter.

Her reply to me was this:

I'm not talking about the bare minimum, I'm talking about buying more than we already have. Hermit crabs & fire belly toads, which we've already had, are pretty intensive, especially the toads, who eat live food. However, neither require more than a good cage, clean litter or fill, places to hide & climb & food & water. They don't need filters or pumps, neither of which we have & would have to get for a turtle.

I'm letting her be, I already see where this is going to head if I respond. So, I'm choosing to turn the other cheek.

Hahaha, could? It WILL get ugly, people that want to get a pet but don't want to buy what it NEEDS shouldn't be allowed to OWN pets. It's abuse, I would be like "Dude, would you want to be kept in a small closet with me giving you alittle food twice a day and giving you some water? And occasionally be too busy to give you anything?" AGH! sorry, seeing that made me mad too :- /

Hahaha I knew I forgot something, but it's okay, I am too busy and don't want to spend that much(part of the vent argument hehe)

Back
Top Bottom