A whale of a tale!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lmw80

Aquarium Advice Addict
I thought it was a joke at first, but it is in fact true. Yesterday a beluga whale was spotted in the Delaware river in trenton by the Trenton Makes the World Takes bridge!

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050413/ap_on_fe_st/trenton_whale_2

I wish I had time to go down and see him for myself. As far as I am aware, divers will go into the water today to assess his health and he will only be captured if he is injured so they can get him back to health.

crazy, huh!?

This is so sad, It hurts my heart, I hope they can get him headed back south.

I grew up in Northern CA, and have seen so may beached whales. I was lucky enough to get picked one year to help keep one covered and throw water on it untill the tide came back in so we could push it back.... it suffocated before the tide was in far enough.. :(
but it was still quite a expierence...

well as of right now it does not seem to be considering beaching, so hopefully he is just lost.

I know whales have swam up the Sacramento River near me before and they had to be coaxed back to the ocean so I know they do get lost or maybe just curious.

Toirtis said:
Belugas turn up in our Eastern rivers ocassionally, but I have never heard of one that far inland.
Indeed. Unless memory fails me, I think a lot of them live in the St.Lawrence river.

8)

Ok - update:

1. The whale seems to be strong and healthy and is just eating his heart out on the fishies in the river.

2. more marine mammal experts are due in from mystic ct on friday just to make sure.

3. There were traffic jams because of this whale.

4. There was an car accident between people going to see the whale.

5. On the news they made it clear to remind people what would happen to them and their boats if they harrassed the whale.

That's about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom