Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-28-2015, 11:12 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

These posts remind me why I like animals more than people (most the time). I have been a Veterinary Technician for 14 years. People have the same problem with clients with new pets. They often adopted a pet that is "cute" without any knowledge of the breed. The result is usually sad.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 01-28-2015, 11:31 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

At one of my chain stores I go too, there is a very knowledgeable lady, who trains inexperienced workers herself, and she's not even a manager.

Although she didn't know what alkalinity was...

Fishobsessed7

Fishobsessed7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 11:48 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

It seems that there are certain people who know what they are talking about at the big box store i go into occasionally, and others that have no clue.

Can't win them all i guess

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 01-28-2015, 11:51 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinea View Post
I've noticed on this website there's a lot of hate towards pet stores and the employees.

.....Most of the customers are complete idiots
I didn't see anyone remark on the juxtaposition of these two statements.

Maybe this thread will engender some mutual understanding, but it sure does not seem like it was intended to, since you are talking to your customers.
Old 01-29-2015, 01:04 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

I'll admit in the years I've been keeping fish, I've seen a lot more education going on in petstores, at least where I am. There was one pet store that had dead fish everywhere - I'm talking 10 fish in one small tank sucked into the filter, dead, while the others were on their way out. I never bought fish from there, and even when I did they'd usually die fairly quickly. Maybe I'm in the minority that it's gotten slightly better (only slightly) - for example, I see less of the injected glass tetras. They also seem very conscious now of other pet stores and criticize and tell you who to avoid. They still don't know everything with stocking, but to be fair stocking can depend on the personality of the fish and to some extent personal experience from fishkeeper to fishkeeper (if a goldfish needs a 75 or 55, for example). I notice they all generally stock less of the big guys that most people can't keep, as well. EDIT: I don't usually buy from PetSmart or Petco, however. I avoid them because they don't apply to those qualities. I buy from small town/local business type stores.

This is just based off my area and doing this for a while, though.

And some of fishkeeping is influenced by culture (thus, people think it's totally fine to go in and demand a goldfish despite having a 1 gallon tank). We go to carnivals and see goldfish getting handed out in tiny tanks to kids who don't know a thing about temperature or ammonia or nitrates or any of it and then they go home and wonder why the goldfish is dead with a bent spine and all their neon tetras were eaten. If you want to help change cultural perception, write to assemblymen and small-government type leaders asking them to stop carnival goldfish in your area. I did and I got an answer - we will be speaking on the phone.
Old 01-29-2015, 01:08 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

All im gonna say, a LFS employee is a salesperson. They are there to make a sale, that's it. IMHO most LFS will sell you anything to make the sale.

"There are old pilots, and there are bold pilots, but there are NO old, bold pilots."
ericwithac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 01:12 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

That is very true. They will do anything especially if they see you don't know much and they take advantage of that. Most of us learned that the hard way.
Old 01-29-2015, 01:13 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishayFishay View Post
That is very true. They will do anything especially if they see you don't know much and they take advantage of that. Most of us learned that the hard way.
Its the same with anything. If you go to a car lot, and know nothing about cars, the salesperson is going to take advantage of you. A salesperson is a salesperson, regardless of industry.

"There are old pilots, and there are bold pilots, but there are NO old, bold pilots."
ericwithac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 01:14 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

I agree 100%
Old 01-29-2015, 07:48 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

My local Petsmart I've asked all the fish employees about their tanks. All of them but one have a very small tank. The one that doesn't I have sorta befriended and he is very knowledgeable, along with quite a few tanks salt and fresh. He will advise people about fish out of their league and tank size but he won't refuse the sale(job security) if they are going to pitch a fit. He has helped me learn a lot more on a fish friend level than a salesperson.

Caleb

Might have a slight obsession with my fish

Tags
store

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com