Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 07-24-2012, 10:16 PM   #51
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
bud29's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: In a van, down by the river
Posts: 3,673
Send a message via Yahoo to bud29
Yeah every time my mom comes in to the computer room she says sarcastically, "Oh, I would have never guessed that you would be on the computer and on the fish forum."

And my dad asked "What are you really learning by spending this much time on the forum?" I answered back with every bit of knowledge that I learned on here. That shut him up.
__________________

__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
bud29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:35 PM   #52
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
jackwagon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Ohio
Posts: 504
Im 16 and I got a 55 gallon (paid for by me) now I got a 10 gallon for breeding tiger barbs! My parents think i have fallen off of the deep end
__________________

__________________
jackwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:48 PM   #53
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Tetra1990's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Omaha Nebraska
Posts: 1,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwagon
Im 16 and I got a 55 gallon (paid for by me) now I got a 10 gallon for breeding tiger barbs! My parents think i have fallen off of the deep end
Way to go!
__________________
Tetra1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:49 PM   #54
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
jackwagon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Ohio
Posts: 504
Yep lol now the little money I have left over is going to live plants. I'm going to buy from someone on this forum
__________________
jackwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:07 PM   #55
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
bud29's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: In a van, down by the river
Posts: 3,673
Send a message via Yahoo to bud29
Yeah, it's good that my parents are paying for 40% of my fish tank costs. It's good because somehow I turned a 30 dollar tank and stand purchase into a $200+ endeavor. I am going to try to convince them to let me get a 75 gallon African Cichlid tank but I calculated that if I get everything I want (good cannister filters, lots of driftwood, etc.) it's going to rack up a bill of around $800. I doubt that they will even consider it until I get a part time job
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
bud29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:56 PM   #56
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
christine2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: fredericksburg Va
Posts: 978
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcolon

Oh don't worry ... it doesn't get much better with a spouse ... they'll also try to tell you when and how to spend $$$$$ ... especially if your the primary one earning it!

So in a way, your mom is preparing you for eventual marital bliss!
This statement isn't a fair one. Not every marriage is like that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexilove

Yeah I don't "get" money every penny is earned I clean and baby sit all the time and sometimes mow our huge yard!!! With a push mower too it sucks but it's worth it for the lil guys(:
I'm very impressed reading some of these! I always think about how easy some kids (the ones i know personally) have it, get everything they want at mom and dad's expense. When I was young my allowance was $5 biweekly lol and I did a whooole lot, probably more than what I do now, as a wife and mom! So, kudos to you kids for being grateful for what you have!

Paying for your own things builds character. I'm glad I was raised the way I was and one day you will be too
__________________
"Be exactly who you want to be, do what you want to do! I am he and she is she, but, you're the only YOU!"
christine2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:22 PM   #57
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Alyxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Slidell, La
Posts: 2,284
Send a message via AIM to Alyxx Send a message via Skype™ to Alyxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by christine2012

This statement isn't a fair one. Not every marriage is like that...

I'm very impressed reading some of these! I always think about how easy some kids (the ones i know personally) have it, get everything they want at mom and dad's expense. When I was young my allowance was $5 biweekly lol and I did a whooole lot, probably more than what I do now, as a wife and mom! So, kudos to you kids for being grateful for what you have!

Paying for your own things builds character. I'm glad I was raised the way I was and one day you will be too
I'm impressed as well! I did the same as a kid, I earned my allowance, and I saved it. Once I even got a discount from some little gift shop near my house because they were impressed that a 8 year old kid saved her allowance long enough to buy a genuine Limoges box (around $400 if I remember correctly). It was a dolphin, of course, my love for fish and marine life started early. Still have it, too. When I got my first fish tank it was a gift, but after that I bought everything I needed or wanted for it with my own money. It's good practice for being out in the real world!

My boyfriend doesn't mind the time I spend on the forum or working with my fish. He loves that I know as much as I do about fish and he really enjoys seeing how happy they make me. I think he likes that he's picking up some information at the same time. It's funny, all three of us have various hobbies and can very easily say things that just absolutely lose everyone else. For me, it's talking fish and equipment, for my boyfriend it's music, and for our roommate it's computers and gaming. Well, I can usually keep up with most of the gaming talk.
__________________
Alyxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 12:20 AM   #58
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Sillyfishies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Omaha,Nebraska
Posts: 3,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyxx

I'm impressed as well! I did the same as a kid, I earned my allowance, and I saved it. Once I even got a discount from some little gift shop near my house because they were impressed that a 8 year old kid saved her allowance long enough to buy a genuine Limoges box (around $400 if I remember correctly). It was a dolphin, of course, my love for fish and marine life started early. Still have it, too. When I got my first fish tank it was a gift, but after that I bought everything I needed or wanted for it with my own money. It's good practice for being out in the real world!

My boyfriend doesn't mind the time I spend on the forum or working with my fish. He loves that I know as much as I do about fish and he really enjoys seeing how happy they make me. I think he likes that he's picking up some information at the same time. It's funny, all three of us have various hobbies and can very easily say things that just absolutely lose everyone else. For me, it's talking fish and equipment, for my boyfriend it's music, and for our roommate it's computers and gaming. Well, I can usually keep up with most of the gaming talk.
I dont get allowance and never have.
__________________
90g Reef
30g Long Frag Tank
10g Planted
3g Pico Reef
Sillyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 03:08 PM   #59
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Hondatek's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 3,969
I get accused of talking to my fish girlfriend dori every time my phone dings. My girl hates that I'm on AA all day. I told her it could be a lot worse lol.
__________________
Feed your Filtration
Give it to Porc Chop he'll eat anything!!!!!
"This is my tank and these other fish just live in it"
^ Quoted from Porc Chop^
Hondatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 03:10 PM   #60
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mrc8858's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 5,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondatek
I get accused of talking to my fish girlfriend dori every time my phone dings. My girl hates that I'm on AA all day. I told her it could be a lot worse lol.
Ya I've been getting that "look" for about a year now everytime I pick up my phone like oh god he's getting on AA AGAIN lol
__________________

__________________
Mrc8858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.