AA & your relationship ;)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Haha! Oh the emails... " my wife literally just yelled, your fish friends are callings again!" lol

Props for earning your own money! You appreciate things much more when you earn it I feel.

My mom won't let me buy a tank even tho I have a giant wad of cash of about 300$. I worked so hard for that and I can't use it

Sillyfishies said:
My mom won't let me buy a tank even tho I have a giant wad of cash of about 300$. I worked so hard for that and I can't use it

Just keep saving! Eventually you will buy your tank and be financially ready.

Oh don't worry ... it doesn't get much better with a spouse ... they'll also try to tell you when and how to spend $$$$$ ... especially if your the primary one earning it!:D

So in a way, your mom is preparing you for eventual marital bliss!(y)

Sillyfishies said:

Save that cash and soon enough you'll be able to get the tank you always wanted. Your 11 right???? If you keep saving. Get the tank you dreamed about when the time is right. A lot of us settle for we can get at the time but always yearn for bigger.

cbourg746 said:
Save that cash and soon enough you'll be able to get the tank you always wanted. Your 11 right???? If you keep saving. Get the tank you dreamed about when the time is right. A lot of us settle for we can get at the time but always yearn for bigger.

I'm 14.... They told me I can have a 2nd tank when I get a home of my own >.<

Sillyfishies said:
I'm 14.... They told me I can have a 2nd tank when I get a home of my own >.<

Makes sence though, im a teenager too and if i were my parents i wouldnt want a ton of tanks around the house. I would allow him/her to have 1 tank, preferably in their room. The size would have to be 75 gallons or under and they would have to fund their hobby.

Yeah every time my mom comes in to the computer room she says sarcastically, "Oh, I would have never guessed that you would be on the computer and on the fish forum."

And my dad asked "What are you really learning by spending this much time on the forum?" I answered back with every bit of knowledge that I learned on here. That shut him up.

Im 16 and I got a 55 gallon (paid for by me) now I got a 10 gallon for breeding tiger barbs! My parents think i have fallen off of the deep end

Yep lol now the little money I have left over is going to live plants. I'm going to buy from someone on this forum :)

Yeah, it's good that my parents are paying for 40% of my fish tank costs. It's good because somehow I turned a 30 dollar tank and stand purchase into a $200+ endeavor. I am going to try to convince them to let me get a 75 gallon African Cichlid tank but I calculated that if I get everything I want (good cannister filters, lots of driftwood, etc.) it's going to rack up a bill of around $800. I doubt that they will even consider it until I get a part time job:lol:

jcolon said:
Oh don't worry ... it doesn't get much better with a spouse ... they'll also try to tell you when and how to spend $$$$$ ... especially if your the primary one earning it!:D

So in a way, your mom is preparing you for eventual marital bliss!(y)

This statement isn't a fair one. Not every marriage is like that... ;)

Lexilove said:
Yeah I don't "get" money every penny is earned I clean and baby sit all the time and sometimes mow our huge yard!!! With a push mower too it sucks but it's worth it for the lil guys:)

I'm very impressed reading some of these! I always think about how easy some kids (the ones i know personally) have it, get everything they want at mom and dad's expense. When I was young my allowance was $5 biweekly lol and I did a whooole lot, probably more than what I do now, as a wife and mom! So, kudos to you kids for being grateful for what you have!

Paying for your own things builds character. I'm glad I was raised the way I was and one day you will be too :D

christine2012 said:
This statement isn't a fair one. Not every marriage is like that... ;)

I'm very impressed reading some of these! I always think about how easy some kids (the ones i know personally) have it, get everything they want at mom and dad's expense. When I was young my allowance was $5 biweekly lol and I did a whooole lot, probably more than what I do now, as a wife and mom! So, kudos to you kids for being grateful for what you have!

Paying for your own things builds character. I'm glad I was raised the way I was and one day you will be too :D

I'm impressed as well! I did the same as a kid, I earned my allowance, and I saved it. Once I even got a discount from some little gift shop near my house because they were impressed that a 8 year old kid saved her allowance long enough to buy a genuine Limoges box (around $400 if I remember correctly). It was a dolphin, of course, my love for fish and marine life started early. Still have it, too. When I got my first fish tank it was a gift, but after that I bought everything I needed or wanted for it with my own money. It's good practice for being out in the real world!

My boyfriend doesn't mind the time I spend on the forum or working with my fish. He loves that I know as much as I do about fish and he really enjoys seeing how happy they make me. I think he likes that he's picking up some information at the same time. It's funny, all three of us have various hobbies and can very easily say things that just absolutely lose everyone else. For me, it's talking fish and equipment, for my boyfriend it's music, and for our roommate it's computers and gaming. Well, I can usually keep up with most of the gaming talk.

Alyxx said:
I'm impressed as well! I did the same as a kid, I earned my allowance, and I saved it. Once I even got a discount from some little gift shop near my house because they were impressed that a 8 year old kid saved her allowance long enough to buy a genuine Limoges box (around $400 if I remember correctly). It was a dolphin, of course, my love for fish and marine life started early. Still have it, too. When I got my first fish tank it was a gift, but after that I bought everything I needed or wanted for it with my own money. It's good practice for being out in the real world!

My boyfriend doesn't mind the time I spend on the forum or working with my fish. He loves that I know as much as I do about fish and he really enjoys seeing how happy they make me. I think he likes that he's picking up some information at the same time. It's funny, all three of us have various hobbies and can very easily say things that just absolutely lose everyone else. For me, it's talking fish and equipment, for my boyfriend it's music, and for our roommate it's computers and gaming. Well, I can usually keep up with most of the gaming talk.

I dont get allowance and never have.

I get accused of talking to my fish girlfriend dori every time my phone dings. My girl hates that I'm on AA all day. I told her it could be a lot worse lol.

Hondatek said:
I get accused of talking to my fish girlfriend dori every time my phone dings. My girl hates that I'm on AA all day. I told her it could be a lot worse lol.

Ya I've been getting that "look" for about a year now everytime I pick up my phone like oh god he's getting on AA AGAIN lol

Back
Top Bottom