Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-24-2012, 10:16 PM   #51
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via Yahoo to bud29
Yeah every time my mom comes in to the computer room she says sarcastically, "Oh, I would have never guessed that you would be on the computer and on the fish forum."

And my dad asked "What are you really learning by spending this much time on the forum?" I answered back with every bit of knowledge that I learned on here. That shut him up.

Old 07-24-2012, 10:35 PM   #52
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Im 16 and I got a 55 gallon (paid for by me) now I got a 10 gallon for breeding tiger barbs! My parents think i have fallen off of the deep end

Old 07-24-2012, 10:48 PM   #53
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwagon
Im 16 and I got a 55 gallon (paid for by me) now I got a 10 gallon for breeding tiger barbs! My parents think i have fallen off of the deep end
Way to go!
Old 07-24-2012, 10:49 PM   #54
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yep lol now the little money I have left over is going to live plants. I'm going to buy from someone on this forum
Old 07-24-2012, 11:07 PM   #55
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via Yahoo to bud29
Yeah, it's good that my parents are paying for 40% of my fish tank costs. It's good because somehow I turned a 30 dollar tank and stand purchase into a $200+ endeavor. I am going to try to convince them to let me get a 75 gallon African Cichlid tank but I calculated that if I get everything I want (good cannister filters, lots of driftwood, etc.) it's going to rack up a bill of around $800. I doubt that they will even consider it until I get a part time job
Old 07-26-2012, 08:56 PM   #56
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcolon

Oh don't worry ... it doesn't get much better with a spouse ... they'll also try to tell you when and how to spend $$$$$ ... especially if your the primary one earning it!

So in a way, your mom is preparing you for eventual marital bliss!
This statement isn't a fair one. Not every marriage is like that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexilove

Yeah I don't "get" money every penny is earned I clean and baby sit all the time and sometimes mow our huge yard!!! With a push mower too it sucks but it's worth it for the lil guys(:
I'm very impressed reading some of these! I always think about how easy some kids (the ones i know personally) have it, get everything they want at mom and dad's expense. When I was young my allowance was $5 biweekly lol and I did a whooole lot, probably more than what I do now, as a wife and mom! So, kudos to you kids for being grateful for what you have!

Paying for your own things builds character. I'm glad I was raised the way I was and one day you will be too
Old 07-26-2012, 09:22 PM   #57
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Alyxx Send a message via Skype™ to Alyxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by christine2012

This statement isn't a fair one. Not every marriage is like that...

I'm very impressed reading some of these! I always think about how easy some kids (the ones i know personally) have it, get everything they want at mom and dad's expense. When I was young my allowance was $5 biweekly lol and I did a whooole lot, probably more than what I do now, as a wife and mom! So, kudos to you kids for being grateful for what you have!

Paying for your own things builds character. I'm glad I was raised the way I was and one day you will be too
I'm impressed as well! I did the same as a kid, I earned my allowance, and I saved it. Once I even got a discount from some little gift shop near my house because they were impressed that a 8 year old kid saved her allowance long enough to buy a genuine Limoges box (around $400 if I remember correctly). It was a dolphin, of course, my love for fish and marine life started early. Still have it, too. When I got my first fish tank it was a gift, but after that I bought everything I needed or wanted for it with my own money. It's good practice for being out in the real world!

My boyfriend doesn't mind the time I spend on the forum or working with my fish. He loves that I know as much as I do about fish and he really enjoys seeing how happy they make me. I think he likes that he's picking up some information at the same time. It's funny, all three of us have various hobbies and can very easily say things that just absolutely lose everyone else. For me, it's talking fish and equipment, for my boyfriend it's music, and for our roommate it's computers and gaming. Well, I can usually keep up with most of the gaming talk.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:20 AM   #58
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyxx

I'm impressed as well! I did the same as a kid, I earned my allowance, and I saved it. Once I even got a discount from some little gift shop near my house because they were impressed that a 8 year old kid saved her allowance long enough to buy a genuine Limoges box (around $400 if I remember correctly). It was a dolphin, of course, my love for fish and marine life started early. Still have it, too. When I got my first fish tank it was a gift, but after that I bought everything I needed or wanted for it with my own money. It's good practice for being out in the real world!

My boyfriend doesn't mind the time I spend on the forum or working with my fish. He loves that I know as much as I do about fish and he really enjoys seeing how happy they make me. I think he likes that he's picking up some information at the same time. It's funny, all three of us have various hobbies and can very easily say things that just absolutely lose everyone else. For me, it's talking fish and equipment, for my boyfriend it's music, and for our roommate it's computers and gaming. Well, I can usually keep up with most of the gaming talk.
I dont get allowance and never have.
3g Pico Reef
Sillyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 03:08 PM   #59
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I get accused of talking to my fish girlfriend dori every time my phone dings. My girl hates that I'm on AA all day. I told her it could be a lot worse lol.
^ Quoted from Porc Chop^
Hondatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 03:10 PM   #60
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondatek
I get accused of talking to my fish girlfriend dori every time my phone dings. My girl hates that I'm on AA all day. I told her it could be a lot worse lol.
Ya I've been getting that "look" for about a year now everytime I pick up my phone like oh god he's getting on AA AGAIN lol

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com