Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-09-2004, 03:24 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to shawmutt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfan
In all fairness, I use a credit union and a local bank, not a national chain. I've heard bad things about them.
Regardless of the outcome of this mess, I am definitely going to look into joining my local credit union--or at least a smaller bank. I had Allfirst, which is a huge bank to begin with, and then M&T bought them out. On the website, every branch number is now the 1-800 number.

Old 07-09-2004, 03:33 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to XXFirefighter Send a message via Yahoo to XXFirefighter
[quote="William"]I hate my bank as well.

Bank of America.

I deposite my paycheck and it takes them almost 2 weeks to put the money in my account! I mean, For christ sakes..2 weeks after a deposite of my paycheck!

quote]

Direct Deposit.. know it use it love it !
Free banking !
Free checking and free online bill paying !

Old 07-09-2004, 07:55 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

With my banks I don't have any fees or anything too. My credit union is always fully staffed with friendly people.

When I went to open my account with my mortgage bank yesterday I almost fell out of my chair. She asked us if we wanted a checking or savings. I figure, it's only an account so we can pay our mortgage weekly, make it a savings so it collects some interest. Anything is better than nothing. She's like, "If you open a savings you have to have a minimum balance of $100 or you get assessed a fee." I told her that if my account got down to $100, I'd taken the money and split for old Mexico, and I wouldn't care about any fees. When I asked her how much the fee would be out of curiosity, she told me "$1 every quarter". I'm thinking about opening an account with $100, withdrawing $1 and watching my account drop $1 for the next 24 years 9 months. I thought that was funny...$1.
Old 07-09-2004, 10:23 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

I used to bank with Washington Mutual because there were branches across the US--which is great since I have family all over the place, then I moved to Canada. I miss WM Great bank with friendly people!! I have also banked with E*Trade, an internet bank for years, since I have moved a lot. I really like them too and their checking accounts pay a bit of interest. I kept that account open to pay my US bills while living in Canada. Not all banks are bad

Old 07-09-2004, 11:18 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

your U.S. bills??
Old 07-09-2004, 01:05 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via Yahoo to bungle
direct deposit rocks.
credit unions rock.

i used to use WAMU, but the lines were rediculous.
Old 07-09-2004, 01:11 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I like Washington Mutual, too. Free checking, no minimum balance required.

And God said, "Let the waters swarm with fish and other life..." So God created great sea creatures and every sort of fish... And God saw that it was good. Then God blessed them, saying, "Let the fish multiply and fill the oceans..." Genesis 1:20-22
Old 07-09-2004, 04:48 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
your U.S. bills??
We're paying off our car, Trevor's school loans....We only moved to Canada 6 months ago.

Old 07-09-2004, 08:18 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to shawmutt
Well, I went to the bank, and they must have seen me like and not just merely . I just explained what happened, , and they took care of everything (hopefully).

I'm still looking for a smaller bank .
Old 07-09-2004, 08:42 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by William
I hate my bank as well.

Bank of America.

I deposite my paycheck and it takes them almost 2 weeks to put the money in my account! I mean, For christ sakes..2 weeks after a deposite of my paycheck!
Then theres also random overdraft fees [ which magically appear even tho I have 200+ in the account ]
I know all the tricks from Bank of America, because they've caught me in all of them - but surprisingly they always come up with something new.

The something new now is online bill pay, that goes out even when we don't schedule, overdraft our account like 50cents and charge us $300 in overdraft fees. The bank reversed some of those fees after much complaining.

Another thing they do (over the phone) is tell you that once the online billpay goes out of your account, it is automatically subtracted from the balance... OK... That is, except that it comes back TWO days later, and there I sit thinking that the money there is already what is left after bill pay, only to find out that it is NOT!! Than when we go complain at the branch they tell us that it is just like a check, the money only comes out when the other side cashes it...

DARN BANKS! If they could only agree on what the rules are, if THEY don't agree with each other, then HOW should we know what is what???

I wish I knew how to go on cash only - can anyone tell me how to manage finances that without a bank?

Thanks

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com