Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-08-2004, 07:03 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to shawmutt
AAAAAAAAAARGH!!! BANKS SUCK!

Ok, I'm writing this in a fit of rage, and even though this has nothing to do with fish--wait--if this goes badly I'll have to spend a ton of money and I won't be able to get the 55 gallon setup I wanted--AAAAAAAAAARGH!!!

My wife goes out to buy some food and the bank's debit card is declined. She finds this odd, as we have (for once) plenty of money in the bank. So she tries the credit card (same bank), and it is also declined, which is very odd, because we have a high credit limit and no balance. She uses our emergency card to pay and get out of the store, and comes home to tell me about it.

I call the bank to find out what's going on, and they ask to speak with my wife. They tell her the cards were reported stolen. It seems that they really screwed us up. My wife has her own account with the bank, and that account is for her own spending money. I had an account of my own, and I added my wife for a joint account. They sent my wife a new debit card for the joint account, but the card they sent was for HER spending account, not OUR joint account (and we find this out a year later?!?!) . Every time she made a purchase, it would come out of her account, which she only checks once in a great while because she only uses it once in a great while.

So what did the bank do? Well, they didn't call us to let us know something funny was up. They waited until she had lots and lots of overdrawn purchases and then cancelled the cards! There is no overdraw protection on the account. Of course, by the time I had this straightened out on the phone with a bank rep, the banks were closed, and the rep said I needed to take it up with the banks! AAAAAAAAAARGH!!!

I mean, it has happened before to me--once a paycheck didn't go through on the right day and I overdrew something like 10 times. I bought little things like gas and snacks (thinking the money was there) on a trip I took, but every time I did I was being charged a $30 overlimit fee. Those little items cost me $300! Of course it wasn't the bank's fault. And I know that other people are being charged fees like that. If the internet is to be believed, fees like this are big business for banks. There HAS to be a way to fight banks and stop them from doing this. AAAAAAAAAARGH!!!

Old 07-08-2004, 07:15 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to oscarbreeder
Thats exactly why I wont use a bank!!

Sorry to hear this has happened to you.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v328/kyman_33/sig.jpg
Old 07-08-2004, 07:44 PM   #3
cj10488

Quote:
Thats exactly why I wont use a bank!!

Sorry to hear this has happened to you.
I totally agree.. I had something similar happen back in 95 when Wells Fargo took over First Interstate... It costed me about 4k in fees.. The bank reversed all their charges but wouldnt cover the Bounced checks that were out there.. After I got that all squared away I swore that I would never Use another bank again.. I decided recently to Try another Bank and went with US bank and Also got a Paypal account... And I am sure most of you already read what happened there... I Swear I will never use another bank again... I am a Cash and Money Order person only... For those that have been screwed over by a simple little mistake as above know exactly how it feels...

Shawmutt,
Sit down with the bank manager that you bank with... Let him know of the situation... He should be able to get you corrected somewhat...

Hope things get better..

James

Old 07-08-2004, 09:01 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to ReefRaff Send a message via MSN to ReefRaff Send a message via Yahoo to ReefRaff
OMG, that totally sucks. i'm totally oposite. i have direct deposite and i never use cash hardly. just debit card.

Quote:
Also got a Paypal account... And I am sure most of you already read what happened there...
what happend?
Old 07-08-2004, 09:12 PM   #5
cj10488

Quote:
Quote:

Also got a Paypal account... And I am sure most of you already read what happened there...

what happend?
Well I had Paypal linked up to my new found bank account.. Made a large deposit into my bank (Taxes) and spent alot of money with Paypal... Well Paypal comes back and Reverses the Funds and says I needed to Verify my Identity with them for Fraud reasons... So I sent them in my bank statement and a photo copy of my ID and they said that My Email address closely resemblembled someone elses email address therefor they assumed that the other account was mine but being used fraudulently as well... The kept the $$$ they took for my purchases.. as well as took out an Addt 900.00 from my bank account as they said that I still owed them that as well... They said that because of the other account and mine being similar they were able to directly link them together and well Screw me... Thats where my taxes went... So Now even though I was already struggling with $$$ I have to pay the 1400 back to the merchants Who I got merchandise from I also have to pay the 900 and something back to the bank along with attorney fees ect.. I filed Fraud charges with my bank but they said that in the user agreement with paypal they had every right to do that... This whole incident has forced me into bankruptcy as soon as I can even afford to file...

Advice.. Dont link your paypal account to your bank.. Only to a Credit card that is with a good company and a low limit...

James

Old 07-08-2004, 11:08 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Love Banks...Just opened another account at my mortgage bank today so I can do weekly mortgage payments instead of monthly. Cuts about $40K out in interest and about 6 years off. Good deal to me. We also collect nice interest on our savings.

I am bank friendly.
Old 07-08-2004, 11:35 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I hate my bank as well.

Bank of America.

I deposite my paycheck and it takes them almost 2 weeks to put the money in my account! I mean, For christ sakes..2 weeks after a deposite of my paycheck!

Then theres also random overdraft fees [ which magically appear even tho I have 200+ in the account ]

They also fee me out the hind end.

Banks truely are crap. I know someone who hasn't had a bank account in 5 years and continue to leave on easy street without dealing with checks, bank accounts, ect ect.

And I'm **** near tempted to join in the anti-bank movement.
Old 07-08-2004, 11:36 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

In all fairness, I use a credit union and a local bank, not a national chain. I've heard bad things about them.

But until my matress pays interest, I'm banking it.
Old 07-08-2004, 11:37 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfan
In all fairness, I use a credit union and a local bank, not a national chain. I've heard bad things about them.

But until my matress pays interest, I'm banking it.

They do, but its not usually anything you'd be INTERESTed in. :P
Old 07-09-2004, 12:24 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to ReefRaff Send a message via MSN to ReefRaff Send a message via Yahoo to ReefRaff
yes local banks are faster. payday for me is friday, but because of direct deposit and the fact that my bank is local, and my account is with the main branch, i get my money on wensday. faithfully everyweek.

Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com