Accosting people in the LFS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah..that sounds like what I would tell my wife.

"honey..your not going to the fish store like that are you? Put on something that shows a little leg!"

SquishyFish said:
yeah..that sounds like what I would tell my wife.

"honey..your not going to the fish store like that are you? Put on something that shows a little leg!"
Especially if you ever need to return something :lol:

I am pretty much scared of the workers at my lfs. I needed to ask so many questions in the beginning (now I just ask them here, heh heh heh) and I am self conscious of the possibility the workers will think I am raving stupid. It seems a prerequisite for working at this store is the ability to maintain a permanent expression of disdain and boredom. Most of the workers are young...this might have something to do with it.

Also, as webmoose described, I, too, walk in there with some frequency to look at a few tanks and then walk out again. Their tetra tank...then to see if they got any more corydoras (it's a good store, but for some reason they don't regularly stock many corydora varieties).

My real problem - one of my many real problems - is that I want the workers to like me. My spouse senses this and thinks I am just whacked out.

There is a photo of an olderish pleasant-seeming person on the wall by the cash register, a polaroid, with the capition: If this person enters the store, she is not allowed in the store ever.

I am afraid, for no good reason, that my photo will be up there some day. Just for asking one too many questions and getting on their nerves. For being and ignorant goofus.

Wonder what that lady did.

I've had a few spontaneous conversations with helpful people in fish stores. It's so great when helpful, interested people share their knowledge and excitement. One time, while my spouse and I looked at some sw fish, a very nice person initiated conversation and ended up trying to convince me that salt water fishkeeping is not nearly as hard as it is made out to be, and he was, in a funny, very pleasant way, trying to convert me.

So, when y'all go about your business in your fish stores, does it ever appear like a lot of the other patrons seem a little...off? Does the hobby appeal to kooks?

PS Devilishturtles: "I was in this brand new lfs in my area Tuesday, not a sole in the store." - Intentional pun or unintentional pun. Very funny regardless.

PPS Happy Friday everyone

PS Devilishturtles: "I was in this brand new lfs in my area Tuesday, not a sole in the store." - Intentional pun or unintentional pun. Very funny regardless.

Oops, unintentional pun. Quite humorous though, now that you point it out. :mrgreen:

You'll have to understand, that I'm extremely dyslexic for real, so I mix up my words some times :roll: I have to proofread everything I type, in fear I typed something I was thinking, instead of what I meant to say...God knows that would be embarassing, lol.

I don't usually talk to the people at my LFS often, usually because they are so busy with others. I just go in and look usually. My tanks are well stocked right now, and no more new tanks or fish, since "far away college" is coming up soon.
But, I will be getting to know them, as my SW tank is almost ready for water! So, I'll be going for LR and LS, and other things.

I don't plan on hitting on anyone, but who knows. I'm still looking, and it seems the lfs is the place to be.

I wanna hear of someone who met their current/past/ex... BF/GF/Husband/Wife at the LFS...that would be wicked. :lol:

If you really want to annoy them start naming the fish you go to visit in their store :lol:

"If you really want to annoy them start naming the fish you go to visit in their store"

1) This is hysterical

2) The idea is all the more funny because it would be SUCH a noviceaquarist thing to do

um, wait...

THAT was egocentraquasupremicist of me... Is anyone naming their fish?

I do not name my fish. Especially I do not name my Panda Cats, 'cause nothing's more lethal than being a Panda Cat in my tank.

I convinced some friends to let me set up a ten gallon in their home for their two young boys. After letting it run fishless for a while, we went out and got ONE fish. A Zebra Danio. I named it. I named it "Test Fish." Actually, I basically suggested the species was... Test fish. "This is a test. For the next sixty days...."

When (thank god!!!) Test Fish lived they renamed it. After me. Then the whole family up and went to Ireland on holiday for five weeks.

I am thus fishsitting... myself.

"I wanna hear of someone who met their current/past/ex... BF/GF/Husband/Wife at the LFS...that would be wicked."

For some reason I think this is impossible. It would be so great if it happened, but...

It's a stunningly great question, however.

The one I also want to ask...I cannot ask. I want to ask if anyone's ever...are the censors ready...?...no, I won't ask.

Re soles in fish stores: when I was a child my father had a friend who kept rainbow trout in his home. This to me was like so out of the blue...so...Breaking the Frame. I would love to have a tank big enough to keep trout or sole or minnows or dungeness crabs.

:D WOW. I must find a new lfs. There never seem to be any women shopping in the one I frequent (not that I'm looking). *LOL*. Just the crabby old owner and his not so crabby old wife who complains about him to me.

Ummmmmmmm julicat...........If the question you can't ask is the question I won't let myself think about.............the answer is YES. :D :D :D :D :D

For some reason I think this is impossible. It would be so great if it happened, but...

I wouldnt say this is impossible, if 2 people share a mutual interest it is completely possible. I met my wife at a club (neither of us went there to pick up on other people, we just bumped into each other, literally), because we share a common interest in music.

I've been hit on in a lfs... its a weird feeling. Usually, I'm like, "eh, why are you looking at me" but this time I actually said, "wow, i might have something in common with this person"

"Ummmmmmmm julicat...........If the question you can't ask is the question I won't let myself think about.............the answer is YES."

YOU'VE *consummated a relationship*- actual intromitting carnal knowledge *edit* IN A FISH STORE?????

If I did that, they would NEVER let me back in my lfs. Maybe THAT'S why that lady is never allowed back in.

Get out of TOWN! Ohmigod!

Fresh or salt?

I edited the prior post, it's not a bad word, but I felt it was inappropriate. And Brian, if you did what she thinks you did~
:eek2:

Menagerie said:
I don't know what to say Devilish! I can't stop smiling! That story is too funny and happens a lot to so many people. You end up feeling creeped out, yet mildly satisfied with yourself all at the same time!

That is about one of the funniest things I ever heard, Menagerie!! It is so funny because it is soooo true!

julicat said:
"Ummmmmmmm julicat...........If the question you can't ask is the question I won't let myself think about.............the answer is YES."
YOU'VE *consummated a relationship*- actual intromitting carnal knowledge *edit* IN A FISH STORE?????
Fresh or salt?

I was think that the question was if you ever "gone to town" with a fish-store worker, not that the town was exactly at the LFS - silly me I guess.

That is so sick! You perverts!! :shocked!: :shocked!: :shocked!: :shocked!:

Glad to hear that!!!
julicat get your head out of the :drain: :wink:

So far we have heard about creepy LFS workers/owners, what about other customers that strike up conversations like I did?

I was just at the LFS and I overheard a couple asking about good books for SW beginners. The employee had no clue and told them to just pick any one off the shelf because they only stock good books (um not true). So anyway, I kinda shuffled over and suggested Bob Fenners book. It just so happened the female of the couple was the one facing me, so it was her that I gave my recommendation to. The guy turned across and looked at me like I had just done something unimaginable to his partner and said "Right." and quickly walked her away. :!: :?:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom