Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-24-2004, 03:21 PM   #41
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm not sure if he even heard what I said! He was facing the girl, so he would've just seen her smile when I suggested the book, then turned around to see why and saw me standing right there

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Old 07-24-2004, 03:49 PM   #42
Aquarium Advice Regular

Wondering if anyone has ever done the wild thing in a fish store does not make me a pottyhead.

And I did say earlier that happening into a conversation with another fish store patron, sharing information and enthusiasm, as Menagerie did, is great.

I think one thing clear is that fish stores frequently (by no means always...just often) have overworked or not-fully-informed or not-fully-interested staff. The person that suddenly came up and appreciated how hard it is to catch rummy-nose tetras...the patron that recognised I view salt-water fishkeeping as rocket science and then tried to persuade me otherwise... novice fishkeepers (like me) need a lot of guidance and I bet most novices are kind of going it alone. Family and friends do not share or fully understand the novice's interest. The novice is in the fish store privately feeling like s/he is less knowledgeable than all the other patrons floating around the store. Suddenly another human being strikes up a conversation or answers a question AND freely shares information...it's the best!

However, if someone is in a fish store to get fish AND that same someone is looking for love in life, any cute anyone of the desired gender coming up and sharing excitement about a hobby and being warm and friendly...someone lookin' for love can easily construe that as at least a possible opening. Nothing we can do about that.

If an attractive warm interesting someone handed me wrote down a website so that I might learn more about the hobby of fishkeeping, and it had never occurred to me such sites might exist, AND I was lookin' for love, I might be confused.

Life is like this. We work it out every day.

Old 07-24-2004, 11:15 PM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

I found myself in a different LFS and actually helped someone!! There was a man and his two girls trying to find compatable fish. I helped someone!! What a concept!

Old 07-25-2004, 01:34 AM   #44
Aquarium Advice FINatic

you know I was thinking...

we all have stories about being picked up on in a lfs, or trying to help someone...

How many of us have tried to pickup someone in a lfs?
Could be a good idea if its a good store... they like fish, you like fish. you both spend lots of time around tanks and equipment....
Old 07-25-2004, 03:04 AM   #45
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't think I've found myself on either end of a situation like any mentioned so far but this is an interesting conversation... I'm kind of wondering now what some people might think of me when I go to the fish dept at walmart... I'm really too shy most of the time to strike up a conversation but sometimes I go to the fish section just to see if someone has questions... most of the time people come and go doing nothing more than looking but there's a part of me that just wants to say "can I help you with anything" or something like that. I want to pass out cards with the link to this site and advise them as to what fish to get or not get or say "if you're going to buy from any of those tanks you better bring home some of this ich medecine..." But most of the time I don't hear a question so I don't answer... but Sometimes I just hang out for a while just hoping I'll happen upon someone that needs my help... I wonder if any of the employees or customers think I'm some sort of weirdo pacing around watching everyone... I'm sure I'm not the only one that does this, right? right???
Old 07-26-2004, 05:50 PM   #46
Aquarium Advice Activist

Menagerie said
Quote:
I helped someone!! What a concept!
But you do that every day here... no, make that about thirty times a day...

I know it's easier here, where people come here asking questions than in a store, where you have to volunteer your advice. Still, don't sell yourself short, Menagerie!
Old 07-27-2004, 11:48 AM   #47
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I was in Petsmart (without my husband) in the checkout line with my new Cherry Barbs....and a guy behind me was TRYING to start up conversation. He was a bit TOO observant and standing uncomfortably close....noticing my Harley checks, he says "so, you ride?"....well without being totally rude I couldn't just ignore him, so I step away a few inches and say yes....he rambled on for another 10 minutes....then his eye catches the Cherry Barbs...."what kind of fish are those"? Without thinking that he may misconstrue my answer, I reply with an honest "those are Cherry Barbs"....well he LOVED that answer!!!! 8O Bleh! Anyway I got sooooo by his reaction to my reply that I made a hasty retreat making sure he wasn't following me.
Yikes!
1 Pleco ("Plato")
1 Oto

10g
Ivory Snail ("Speedy")
Old 07-27-2004, 12:45 PM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Icky!! Do you wear a ring? I find it comes in handy.
Quote:
...."what kind of fish are those"?
"Oh!? These little fish are my significant other's favorites!" While saying that talk with your hands in exaggerated movements
For those without jewels--it still works, you just don't have to mention your sig other is a cat/dog/pet rock/car/etc.

Old 07-27-2004, 12:50 PM   #49
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I mentioned that I ride WITH my husband....and yes I had my ring on.....didn't seem to matter.....
Old 07-27-2004, 01:18 PM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Some people just don't get the hint

Closed Thread

Tags
lfs, sting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com