Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-06-2011, 01:16 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Adding water into fw tank

Hi! Was at a friends visiting when they were doing a PWC when he refilled the water he did so directly from hose into tank untreated. When take was full he then treated water, his fish are mature and he said/look healthy. Just curious, what others think of this and how they add water into FW tank? He has barbs, a pleco, Cories and a tiger eel if it makes a difference.

Old 11-06-2011, 08:44 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I've been doing it that way for 20 years and never had a problem.

Old 11-06-2011, 10:57 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

When refilling a tank in this way, the dechlor should be added to the tank before the refill. Adding it after is almost pointless since most of the chlorine will have already reacted with organics in the water. Small changes don't need any dechlor at all.
Old 11-06-2011, 11:07 AM   #4

It is always safer to use dechlorinator when using city water, regardless of the size of the change and even if just topping off evaporation. Most municipalities use chloramine, so the days of chlorine are effectively over. Treat all water with dechlor. Do so BEFORE water starts going into the tank.
Old 11-06-2011, 12:03 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Thanks for the input it's interesting to hear what others think.
Old 11-06-2011, 03:31 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I use RO/DI water for my FW, but that is only because I have a RO/DI unit for my SW Reef tanks. It doesn't really hurt anything to use it. When I didn't have the unit, I just used dechlorinator on the PWC water.
Old 11-06-2011, 03:35 PM   #7

Do you use it for topping off or for water changes too? If used for water changes it must be reconstituted or only used along with tap water, to dilute it.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:46 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishguy2727
Do you use it for topping off or for water changes too? If used for water changes it must be reconstituted or only used along with tap water, to dilute it.
Just top off. I usually have extra from the Saltwater PWCs. I use tap water w/ declorinator that I let sit for 24 hours for PWCs for my freshwater tanks.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:49 PM   #9
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

I do mine about the same way, prime then water.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com