Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-14-2018, 11:52 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Aggressive African Cichlids

Any advice on controlling an aggressive Venustus? I have 6 African Cichlid juveniles. My Venustus has become a tank bully. In order to combat the aggression, I was told to add additional fish. This has only made matters worse. One of the recent additions added to possibly challenge him was a Demasoni. He runs from him also however. When I isolate the Venustus, the Demasoni takes over the tank. When I re-introduce the Venustus, the two of them go at it pretty good. My next move is to place the Venustus in a 10 gallon tank for a month to see if that helps. Any other suggestions?

Old 05-15-2018, 07:23 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Put together a hardscape, which is broad and tall enough as to breakup line of sight and provide numerous hiding spots.
It is standard practice to slightly overcrowd African Cichlid tanks. Achieving the "temporary" harmony is much easier said than done.
Watch out, Venustus grow pretty big. Mine was about 8" when I traded him back to the LFS.

Old 05-15-2018, 09:49 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks for the advice. I will try a new hard scrape before I give up on this bully.
Old 05-15-2018, 04:51 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Yikes, he is growing, but I hope he doesn’t get that big. Cichlids are certainly entertaining, but I hope the aggression aspect doesn’t sour me on them. I don’t want to go back to a community tank. For me that is just not satisfying. Maybe I need the challenge that comes with raising Cichlids. ��
Old 05-15-2018, 05:36 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

My time with Africans have come and gone. My favorites were male Peacocks, Yellow tail Acei, Red Fin Borleyi, Malawi Eye Biter, Red Top Hongi and of course Venustus. I either rehomed or traded in the entire lot. No real problems, just realised I liked New World Cichlids so much more. The Acei and Borleyi are fairly mellow, don't grow too large and you can keep several of the same in a group. You're going to eventually need a good sized tank; 55 gal. Or larger. Pictured was my favorite African Cichlid; male Dragon Blood Peacock. This was my hardscape when I kept Africans. I had a few New Worlds and Tetras in the mix.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170825_090347.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	142.2 KB
ID:	308943   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171026_223047.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	162.0 KB
ID:	308945  

Old 05-15-2018, 06:41 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Beautiful fish and tank! My plan is to start these juveniles in my current 30 gallon all in one tank them move them into a 75 gallon that I plan on purchasing when they grow a little. I then want to turn my 30 gallon into a nano reef tank. I am just getting back into the hobby, but it has been loads of fun so far.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:11 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

That sounds like a good plan. I've seen some awesome 75 gal. African tanks.

Tags
african, african cichlid, african cichlids, aggressive, cichlid, cichlids, ich

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com