Aggressive African Cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

forkman

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Any advice on controlling an aggressive Venustus? I have 6 African Cichlid juveniles. My Venustus has become a tank bully. In order to combat the aggression, I was told to add additional fish. This has only made matters worse. One of the recent additions added to possibly challenge him was a Demasoni. He runs from him also however. When I isolate the Venustus, the Demasoni takes over the tank. When I re-introduce the Venustus, the two of them go at it pretty good. My next move is to place the Venustus in a 10 gallon tank for a month to see if that helps. Any other suggestions?

Put together a hardscape, which is broad and tall enough as to breakup line of sight and provide numerous hiding spots.
It is standard practice to slightly overcrowd African Cichlid tanks. Achieving the "temporary" harmony is much easier said than done.
Watch out, Venustus grow pretty big. Mine was about 8" when I traded him back to the LFS.

Thanks for the advice. I will try a new hard scrape before I give up on this bully.

Yikes, he is growing, but I hope he doesn’t get that big. Cichlids are certainly entertaining, but I hope the aggression aspect doesn’t sour me on them. I don’t want to go back to a community tank. For me that is just not satisfying. Maybe I need the challenge that comes with raising Cichlids. ��

My time with Africans have come and gone. My favorites were male Peacocks, Yellow tail Acei, Red Fin Borleyi, Malawi Eye Biter, Red Top Hongi and of course Venustus. I either rehomed or traded in the entire lot. No real problems, just realised I liked New World Cichlids so much more. The Acei and Borleyi are fairly mellow, don't grow too large and you can keep several of the same in a group. You're going to eventually need a good sized tank; 55 gal. Or larger. Pictured was my favorite African Cichlid; male Dragon Blood Peacock. This was my hardscape when I kept Africans. I had a few New Worlds and Tetras in the mix.

Attachments

• 20170825_090347.jpg
    20170825_090347.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 79
  • 20171026_223047.jpg
    20171026_223047.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 110
Beautiful fish and tank! My plan is to start these juveniles in my current 30 gallon all in one tank them move them into a 75 gallon that I plan on purchasing when they grow a little. I then want to turn my 30 gallon into a nano reef tank. I am just getting back into the hobby, but it has been loads of fun so far.

That sounds like a good plan. I've seen some awesome 75 gal. African tanks.

Back
Top Bottom