ah....today, is a dayof mourning for me.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

heyz0os

Aquarium Advice Activist
As some of you know from my latest thread, I got a royal gramma and a pistol shrimp on thursday. Acclimated them both correctly. Then i let them loose in the tank. The shrimp swam to the rock my goby hasn't occupied yet. And the gramma made a home in the hollow rock. The goby would open his mouth wide open and swim towards the gramma whenever the gramma would come out, he would just go back to his rock and face outside. During feeding time, he'd come out and eat but if the shrimp or flakes were too far from his rock, he'd leave it be. Yesterday i felt relieved because he'd finally venture out of his rock and explore a bit, also, the goby left him alone (i wasn;t too alarmed by the goby aggression because i think he established himself as the alpha fish of the tank because my clowns would twitch at him.

This morning i couldn't find the gramma so i just assumed he was in his rock until it was feeding time. He didn't come out so i let it be. Later, i started looking for him and i found him right under some rock that bridges on top of 2 other rocks. Like literally right under it. An example would be making a "C" with your hand, he'd be in the palm. So i said ok weird but he's alive! an hour later he was still there so i lifted the rock, he wouldnt move. So i touched him and he seemed to twitch so again, i thought he was alive. I put the rock back and yeah he was still on the rock.

Then i went to go clean, came back, found him halfway inside a rock. Naturally i laughed because he looked like he clumsily got himself stuck in the hole. I put my hand inside to see if i could help him out, i could have sworn i felt his tail move so i left him and went to go pick up my little brother from school. Came back, he was still there. So i decided that maybe i really should help, i pulled him out...He was limp. I let him go and he started sinking. I caught him and let him go on top of a rock, again he just sank...so yeah the entire morning he's been dead. I'm guessing he was picked on to death by the goby and i don't blame the goby, i blame myself for putting the gramma in that environment. Now i have the gramma in a cup with tank water and dont know what to do. Flush him? seems a bit mean. my other idea was put him in the bag i got him with tank water and bury him..

I know this post is long, don't expect too many people to read it. Just felt like venting it out. First fish casualty and i feel bad.

so,your going to bury your goby ALIVE?!?! seems a bit harsh...

Eh... I cannot advocate euthanizing your goby... He hasn't done anything "wrong" persay... And he's apparentlyin good health. I would suggest putting him back in the tank and not attempting to add more fish. It is entirely inhumane to flush a live fish and perhaps even more so to bury one alive!

yeah...at least give him to your lfs,thats gotta be better than burying him alive,and you could get some cash,to get a replacement

hahahahahaha NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO no the goby. the dead gramma!

there we go, edited. i noticed i said goby in the cup, not gramma. i MEANT th gramma is in the cup

ok good.i was looking at the post and thinking "god i hope thats a typo"and yeah,burying your fish would be nicer than just flushing it.

Next time you add a fish move some of your rocks around so as to give the new fish a better chance to get some territory.Your goby did nothing wrong.

ok good.i was looking at the post and thinking "god i hope thats a typo"and yeah,burying your fish would be nicer than just flushing it.

haha yeah i was confused when i read your guys' comments about not hurting the goby. Didnt mean to scare you guys :p

Yeah i know the goby hasn't done anything wrong, just instinctual which is why i feel bad for putting the gramma in that environment. So the verdict, should i put em in the bag i got em with some tank water and bury him?

its not really inhumane to flush it,seeing as its alresdy dead,but id go with burying it,if i have a fish die because of a mistake i made,i think its the least i can do to give it a proper burial.so id go with burying it.

I second the burying, although flushing is just as viable. Why not fertilize the garden though?

I second the burying, although flushing is just as viable. Why not fertilize the garden though?

Cant have a garden. Live in apartments.

And yeah i do feel that that's what i should do. Give him a proper burial for my mistake. Well, im gonna do it right now.

The fish is dead, he don't need any water. Sorry for your lost

Back
Top Bottom