Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-09-2012, 04:23 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

On the business side, a forum dies if no one starts new threads and only searches and reads old threads. Ad prices are sold based on threads, replies, click rates, page views and such among other things.

The forums need the new people to start new threads to survive.

Like fort384 said, if it bugs you, browse past to the next newtopic. Someone else will be happy to help.

Old 09-09-2012, 04:55 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sager
I see both sides to this issue and as a former retail pet shop manager, I know it gets frustrating seeing or hearing the same question over and over. ( I left retail for exactly the reasons expressed on this thread.) I have a suggestion to the moderators or website designer: Divide each forum, within each section(Fw & SW) into headings "Beginners", "Advanced" & "Most asked questions" in both. The advanced hobbyists have the option which to post in but the newbies can only post in the beginner sections for a limited amount of time. Set this up to enable everybody access to the advanced section to learn by the postings of advanced hobbyists but not be able to post into the advanced section until they have "X" number of posts in the beginner's section or something along that line. This way, the advanced hobbyists can choose to go to the "beginner" section to help or stay in the advanced sections for more advanced issues. As mentioned in a previous post, there are enough advanced hobbyists that are more then willing to help the newbies. The others that don't won't to, won't have to deal with this issue. If this is not an acceptable alternative, make a FAQ section and put a pop up window when opening the particular forums stating that prior to creating a new thread, check the FAQ section first.
Obviously, there will need to be some filtering needed to be done by the website designer but I'm sure if they used the similar filter that designates each member as a "Newbie, Finatic, etc., it would be a good start. Even if a newbie slips through the circumvents the filter, their postings will give them away and appropriate actions can be taken by AA.

Just a possible solution to this situation
I really like that idea

Old 09-09-2012, 04:59 PM   #13
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I don't foresee us limiting or excluding folks just based on post count any time in the near future. Post count is all too often not indicative at all of someone's knowledge level. For the most part this is a very open community and anyone can offer their opinion on a subject. It's one of the things that makes this a great community. The challenge is to tactfully combat bad advice when you see it. It is up to the user to decide who's advice they want to follow or not follow.
fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 05:01 PM   #14
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I too agree with Justin. Our purpose here at AA is to help out the Hobby. To answer those questions that others have. It basically is a two part procedure. To research your question but also to find out the experiences of others. That`s where AA comes into place as we are there to support you and give you our experiences. People that are new in the hobby just want three things. Facts, experiences and assurance that they are headed in the right direction. That`s why I say to the OP that you are not taking everything into account. It`s definitely what we are NOT about here at AA.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:14 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Im not at all saying i wont help them, i would love to. But if a new member puts effort into his/her question i am more likely to help out. If they ried to find the answer by themself and they come here for extra assurance i will help every time. But if the new member asks "What do i need for saltwater coral tank" or something im going to reply and say what the heck do you mean? JMO
Old 09-09-2012, 07:16 PM   #16
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

That would be an acceptable reply... But that is not what the op stated.
Old 09-09-2012, 07:37 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via Yahoo to bud29
I think some questions that we think that can just be researched may have been started by people who tried researching and found nothing. For instance, I tried researching how to start a SW reef, and no sites were really in-depth enough for me. They all kind of assumed the reader already knew stuff about SW, so they were of little help to me. They mentioned skimmers, sumps and lots of stuff I just read and thought, "What?"
Old 09-09-2012, 08:02 PM   #18
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sager View Post
I see both sides to this issue and as a former retail pet shop manager, I know it gets frustrating seeing or hearing the same question over and over. ( I left retail for exactly the reasons expressed on this thread.) I have a suggestion to the moderators or website designer: Divide each forum, within each section(Fw & SW) into headings "Beginners", "Advanced" & "Most asked questions" in both. The advanced hobbyists have the option which to post in but the newbies can only post in the beginner sections for a limited amount of time. Set this up to enable everybody access to the advanced section to learn by the postings of advanced hobbyists but not be able to post into the advanced section until they have "X" number of posts in the beginner's section or something along that line. This way, the advanced hobbyists can choose to go to the "beginner" section to help or stay in the advanced sections for more advanced issues. As mentioned in a previous post, there are enough advanced hobbyists that are more then willing to help the newbies. The others that don't won't to, won't have to deal with this issue. If this is not an acceptable alternative, make a FAQ section and put a pop up window when opening the particular forums stating that prior to creating a new thread, check the FAQ section first.
Obviously, there will need to be some filtering needed to be done by the website designer but I'm sure if they used the similar filter that designates each member as a "Newbie, Finatic, etc., it would be a good start. Even if a newbie slips through the circumvents the filter, their postings will give them away and appropriate actions can be taken by AA.

Just a possible solution to this situation
People are not so easily split up into categories. One may know worlds about African cichlids, but be a total beginner at breeding killifish. Who is to say what issue is advanced or not? Separating things out like that can create confusion leave more room for questions to slip through the cracks and never be answered.

I am just going to add that I certainly understand frustrations with people not doing any research and instead seeking instant gratification, but there are tons of circumstances and situations that drive people to ask the questions they ask. Be careful when talking to new people and give them a bit of benefit of the doubt. You certainly can ignore questions as well and leave them for people who don't mind answering. I often have to leave threads for people with more patience than me.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:15 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via Yahoo to bud29
Quote:
Originally Posted by absolutangel04 View Post
People are not so easily split up into categories. One may know worlds about African cichlids, but be a total beginner at breeding killifish. Who is to say what issue is advanced or not? Separating things out like that can create confusion leave more room for questions to slip through the cracks and never be answered.

I am just going to add that I certainly understand frustrations with people not doing any research and instead seeking instant gratification, but there are tons of circumstances and situations that drive people to ask the questions they ask. Be careful when talking to new people and give them a bit of benefit of the doubt. You certainly can ignore questions as well and leave them for people who don't mind answering. I often have to leave threads for people with more patience than me.
I completely agree. I also want to add (I think fort may have said this earlier), post count does not necessarily equivalent experience level or aquarium knowledge. For all we know our new members may have had 45 years of fishkeeping experience already!
Old 09-09-2012, 08:18 PM   #20
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Yes and the reverse is true as well. We have some members with 30+ posts a day that have less than a year or two of experience. I am not knocking them - it's great to have active members... But knowledge level and activity don't go hand in hand.

I for example have 8000+ posts but have only had a SW reef for 6 months... Any advice I give on the saltwater side has to be taken with a grain of, uh, salt.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com