Aimed at "newbies"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We have rules against excessive text speak or netspeak. If you see posts that are excessively bad please report them and we will address it. We attempt to combat that type of posting every day but as a staff we cannot get to every post and every thread so we rely on the membership to report problem posts so we can address them.

Do the regular and obviously far more experienced fish fanatics on here think that sometimes people might post more as a way of getting a foot in the door so to speak, when someone new joins a forum like this one it can seem at first as though everyone knows everyone else personally and as a newbie they maybe feel a little intimidated, probably wrongly so but having limited knowledge in itself is going to deter people from speaking out at times, asking a simple question could maybe just be a way of getting a deluge of answers and gets you known to a few people at least, just a thought I might be on the wrong track totally but for what it's worth there's my 2 cents worth as you guys say... Oh and keep on answering as you all do cos I reckon I read pretty much every single post on here whether it's relevant to me or not and I've learnt tons of stuff by doing so.

BP.

Wy Renegade said:
.Yes and no, what about Manjo nems? Most newer people aren't going to be able to distinguish between the two, and even some coral polyps may appear to be aiptasia to the inexperienced eye. Many of these "duplicate" threads have individual pictures, and for the inexperienced, it is not all that simply to look at somebody else's picture and say, "yep that is what I have for sure."

Yes mojano nems are different, I'm not talking about those posts. The posts to which I have an issue with is the ones where people ask by name about aiptasia and it is an obvious picture of aiptasia that is included. If I person honestly doesn't know what it is they are looking at and is asking for help that's totally different. If a person knows it by name then they are capable of doing a search for it either on here, on other forums, or even google. I learn alot on this forum and try to help when I can but its harder to help people when the forum is flooded with posts that are all the same question. That being said I have helped people with their "aiptasia" posts and will continue to do so I just feel that if a person knows something about what they are asking that it is a good idea to try and do your own research. I personally do lots of research on my own and it helps me be a more knowledgable reef keeper and helps me to retain that knowledge.

I just want to add something, not sure if it was mentioned as I grew tired on the last page, BUT.

There are always different circumstances, everyone's tank, stock, etc. is different.

For example, with freahwater ich. Yes there is numerous threads, however, like I said everyone's circumstances are different. IMO treating ich heat alone is my preferred method. However some fish can't tolerate high heat for extended periods of time, so other treatment methods may be required. That's why someone with experience chimes in, what's your stock? Parameters? Etc.???

This is a forum, and posting, helping, or whatever, is what it's all about! If you find it annoying, which I sometimes do, move on, just like it was said before. This is "Aquarium Advice" not aquarium library.

Okay, that's my opinion.

Billbug68 said:
I just want to add something, not sure if it was mentioned as I grew tired on the last page, BUT.

There are always different circumstances, everyone's tank, stock, etc. is different.

For example, with freahwater ich. Yes there is numerous threads, however, like I said everyone's circumstances are different. IMO treating ich heat alone is my preferred method. However some fish can't tolerate high heat for extended periods of time, so other treatment methods may be required. That's why someone with experience chimes in, what's your stock? Parameters? Etc.???

This is a forum, and posting, helping, or whatever, is what it's all about! If you find it annoying, which I sometimes do, move on, just like it was said before. This is "Aquarium Advice" not aquarium library.

Okay, that's my opinion.

You explain that much better then I tried to lol

Uncle Dirty said:
Text type, not using periods, bad spelling makes it hard on the brain trying to decipher what they are trying to say. Using "Your" instead of "you're" , also not proof reading before sending post. Sorry to get off topic.

So are you agreeing or disagreeing ? I obviously didn't mean to add the 're onto the end of your. Thank you for pointing that out.

I am sure that the vast majority of questions asked on this website will have been asked before and discussed in depth whether on this very website, or on one of the many multitude of other discussion forums available on these subjects. Whether or not it is "Readily" available to the inquiring mind is simply a matter of the scope of your search. To imply that "newbie" topics are the only ones repeated ad nauseum seems a bit foolish. They do tend to garner the most responses, but that includes a lot of responses of individuals *****ing about newbie topics being repeated or yelling about the search function while waving their fists.

If people wanted to just research, Google already exist. People join a forum because they want to discuss in real time, right now, what is happening in their personal tank. I see nothing wrong with that. It is the nature of the system - a system that everyone is more than welcome to not use if it doesn't suit their fancy (y)

Samzter said:
So are you agreeing or disagreeing ? I obviously didn't mean to add the 're onto the end of your. Thank you for pointing that out.

I was responding to one of someone else's post about text typing.

If people wanted to just research, Google already exist. People join a forum because they want to discuss in real time, right now, what is happening in their personal tank. I see nothing wrong with that. It is the nature of the system - a system that everyone is more than welcome to not use if it doesn't suit their fancy (y)

I couldn't agree more. Every situation is a bit different. For instance, there are tons of "my cycle is taking forever" threads. My cycle was taking forever, so I started looking at them. But none of those people's situations matched mine, so they did not help too much. Thus, I started a thread.

This thread wasn't created to scold everyone about every thread they create. As I've said multiple times before this is about people asking the exact same question as the 5 million other people who have already asked it. If a person honestly doesn't know what it is in their tank they are looking at then I have no complaint against them for posting asking for help. The issue I find is that people are asking for help identifying something by name. Aiptasia was the example I used as it is the one I see most often. If someone creates a thread looking to identify something that they don't know what it is then go nuts. If a person creates a thread asking if it's aiptasia and they actually ask about it by name then I have an issue with it. If you know what it's called then why can't you search the forum for other posts on the same subject or even google. If someone is genuinely concerned about what's in their tank then they can yield much faster results by looking into it themselves than they can by asking us. You can confirm its aiptasia in seconds with a google search as opposed to possibly hours waiting for a response on this forum. Also just to clarify I aimed this at newbies because an even slightly experienced reef keeper generally knows what aiptasia is and doesn't need to ask about it as it is such a common thing to encounter. I will be writing an article to discuss aiptasia so we can hopefully cut down on repeat aiptasia posts.

I think many of people start new threads because they don't want to hijack someone else's thread or be accused of it. Their situation is as unique as the other posts. Somtimes ich occurs at a specific temperature, sometimes it's brought home with the last fish or plant they bought, sometimes it caused by improper nutrition or contaminated water.

I understand the OP's stress too. I desire new information also. Then there's this social networking thing and wanting to be heard.

This.

I'll weigh in here as a noob and forum junkie.

I know on other forums, I've often seen someone get chastised for bumping an old thread, even though that thread contains the topic they are wanting to know about. So, it seems to depend on the forum; post a new thread about a topic that's been covered a lot, or bump a one-year old thread?

Each person's situation is unique and a lot of people ask these questions because they 1) don't know the answer or 2) aren't sure.

I have found this forum to be immensely helpful, but I've posted a few threads that definitely have been posted about before (diatoms, mopani wood, etc.).

Though it may seem annoying, you don't have to respond, or you could politely link a noob to a nice article. Many here have done that for me and I greatly appreciate it. AND I know how to use the search feature. :) I just don't always know what to search for.

I mean, this forum is called aquarium ADVICE after all. :flowers:

Beehpee said:
Do the regular and obviously far more experienced fish fanatics on here think that sometimes people might post more as a way of getting a foot in the door so to speak, when someone new joins a forum like this one it can seem at first as though everyone knows everyone else personally and as a newbie they maybe feel a little intimidated, probably wrongly so but having limited knowledge in itself is going to deter people from speaking out at times, asking a simple question could maybe just be a way of getting a deluge of answers and gets you known to a few people at least, just a thought I might be on the wrong track totally but for what it's worth there's my 2 cents worth as you guys say... Oh and keep on answering as you all do cos I reckon I read pretty much every single post on here whether it's relevant to me or not and I've learnt tons of stuff by doing so.

BP.

I agree with Bee...I am not really a social creature. I am here for the information first...but when you have been here in the background for almost a year and never really posted because you don't want to sound like an idiot or do something "wrong"... especially if you're like me and have never actually taken the time to join a forum before...the social aspect of it becomes appealing. I've read so many posts about ich on here learning how to deal with mine and my brothers tanks that I can easily and eagerly help someone out. Someone mentioned that each photo is unique and it does seem like it would be rude to post a pic with a question on someone else's thread. I found this forum by googling to solve my own issues...I stayed because of the friendly helpful members. ;-).

I understand how repetition can be frustrating...but perhaps some of them are just trying to get a foot in the door. Just a thought.

Firstly I never said to high jack someone else's thread. What I said was to do a search and read through them. I don't have a problem with people posting and asking about an issue, I have a concern when people post a pic and ask "is this aiptasia" they clearly know the name of it so they have the basis of information to look into it on their own. I'm not saying we can't help or won't help but people post asking for help and then get ancy bumping the thread and such waiting for a response when they could have saved everyone time by looking themselves. I believe this thread can be closed now mods.

Back
Top Bottom