Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-10-2012, 01:36 AM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by absolutangel04 View Post
I can see where you are coming from, I just don't think it's a good idea. Personally, I would rather scroll through a few extra questions than change over to a system like that. I really like our community, and one reason for that is because people of all experience levels are allowed to ask questions and contribute. Labeling people as "experienced" or "inexperienced" does not actually help the content of their advice. Also, fish keeping certainly yields multiple opinions, so I would not be a fan of a system where people need to fill out a resume in order to be taken seriously by others. There is not always one way of doing things, and it would be sad for a new person to have valid info ignored because they have not kept fish for as long as somebody else. If the info given is not valid, our more experienced or knowledgeable members are certainly welcome to chime in and offer their opinions as well. I think people on the forum can often figure out pretty fast who knows their stuff and who could use a bit more knowledge to be fully helpful.
I may not have made myself clear, I am not saying that I want to exclude ANYONE from posting. I am simply trying to express an idea where a newer person might better be able to find answers to their questions , supplied by an advanced or newbie hobbyist, if they didn't have to scroll through all the threads. Conversely, the advanced hobbyist wouldn't need to scroll through multiple repetitive threads looking for the info they were looking for either. I can see the plus side to this format as well as the minus so please don't think I am against the way things are. Keep in mind tho that most info received by a "newbie' was gotten via an experienced hobbyist as their source. Under the current format, there is no decernable way for a newbie to know if the info being given on a thread is coming from someone who has "been there, done that" or someone who just likes to see their name on a post. If they read an answer filled with wrong info before the moderator or other member catches it, the damage is already done. Probable outcome: Dead fish. It's a complicated issue, I know.
I got this idea from my schooling. I don't know if schools still teach in this manner but when I was in school, there were prerequisite classes you had to take before you could get into an advanced class of a subject. For example, you couldn't get into Algabra class if you didn't take the basic math class and pass it. You couldn't get into Algabra 2 without going through Algabra 1, etc. Expanding on this format might be a plus for this site. Who knows?

As for the "filling out a resume" I think it WOULD be more helpful to a newbie to know that the info is coming from an experienced member vs. an inexperienced member. I've used this analogy before but I think it still fits: If you wanted to know what it's like on the moon, would you ask Neil Armstrong or the scientists who got him to the moon? No matter how smart the scientist were, Neil has the experience and was there on it so he would know better. Don't you agree?

Old 09-10-2012, 02:25 AM   #32
Aquarium Advice Freak

I think many of people start new threads because they don't want to hijack someone else's thread or be accused of it. Their situation is as unique as the other posts. Somtimes ich occurs at a specific temperature, sometimes it's brought home with the last fish or plant they bought, sometimes it caused by improper nutrition or contaminated water.

I understand the OP's stress too. I desire new information also. Then there's this social networking thing and wanting to be heard.

Old 09-10-2012, 02:30 AM   #33
come get me tang police!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wroberson View Post
I think many of people start new threads because they don't want to hijack someone else's thread or be accused of it. Their situation is as unique as the other posts. Somtimes ich occurs at a specific temperature, sometimes it's brought home with the last fish or plant they bought, sometimes it caused by improper nutrition or contaminated water.

I understand the OP's stress too. I desire new information also. Then there's this social networking thing and wanting to be heard.
That's a good point. If someone's situation doesn't match another's verbatim they may still want to have their own thread going because it could have a different outcome.

And people do typically frown upon people hijacking a thread as it becomes too convoluted, and it is just much easier to make a new thread with their specifics laid out.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:30 AM   #34
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wroberson

Yes there is a thought I was failing to express "unique" situations I 100% agree with this post like someone who knows every inch of their tank is much different from me (I don't test water or do water changes) [stay on topic I already know people think I should change my ways] but the other person and I could have completely different causes and need completely different solutions for whatever was wrong
Old 09-10-2012, 10:32 AM   #35
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly_koi

Articles are posted on the front page of the site, if there isn't something your looking for on the front page there is a search box where you can search for things there. I do wish that there was a section on the app for articles though, that would be wonderful.
Sorry about the unfinished post was at the ER with my dad last night till 10 a little scatterbrained haha but anyways you understood me. A section of frequently asked questions would be perfect right in freshwater and even one in saltwater too!
Old 09-10-2012, 11:16 AM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just wanted to add my 2 cents. It's honestly how I feel. I'm a Mod on a few bodybuilding and powerlifting forums and I've heard this debate or complaint numerous times.

I just do as I tell the members on the forums I mod to do.

Answer if you feel like it, don't if you don't. I've repeated myself several times in threads and almost sound like a broken record but that's what were here for. Link them to a thread that will answer the questions it send them a link to a help page off of the Internet.

I've asked a lot of questions probably more then twice on this forum and of it wasn't for the patience of some of the membership I wouldn't be as successful as I am today.

Bottom line:

I know it gets frustrating at times but you don't have to answer the thread

You have link the answer from another thread and politely tell the member to search the stickies or maybe more research I needed.

To do it with finesse and move on.

You do the choice to ignore a thread...

Coming from all sides, a newbie at one point a mod and now someone who ha gained some experience through asking lots of questions am getting answers. I do however also urge to google, bing whatever and research themselves,

Just remember they may ready know the answer but need that assurance by someone just saying "yes that's bad" or "your good! Your on the right track"

Just my 2 cents do what it's worth.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:34 AM   #37
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to kdpuffer
You guys have some really good insight into the subject. I'm not talking about about unique scenarios however. I'm concerned about the constant aiptasia ID threads. Aiptasia is aiptasia no matter how you look at it and it is treated in a few different ways. I really like the idea of a sticky on aiptasia Id and treatment. I did not start this thread to make people feel stupid or to be ignorant, I started due to what I feel is a valid concern and I'm sure more than just myself gets tired of answer the same question 6 times a day. If a person honestly doesn't know what aiptasia is and starts a thread asking "what is this?" is one thing but if a person asks what something is by name they do know enough to actually look into it a little. I'm not saying we can't help them but I am getting frustrated with seeing a constant stream of people asking for an id by name and causing other peoples issues that may or may not be more serious to be pushed down the list. I think adding a sticky to the Id thread that outlines some common hitchhikers, their reef compatibility as well as some common problems such as ich and how to deal with these things would be a great addition to this forum. This is why I started this thread, well it seems we have a good solution so how do we go about creating a sticky? I would happily help with writing it.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:51 PM   #38
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Rather than a sticky we would prefer an article for the front page. This could then be linked in the aiptasia threads.

If you would like access to the writers work room let me know. We can make that happen. We are always looking for knowledgeable folks to add content.
fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 01:52 PM   #39
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sager View Post
I may not have made myself clear, I am not saying that I want to exclude ANYONE from posting. I am simply trying to express an idea where a newer person might better be able to find answers to their questions , supplied by an advanced or newbie hobbyist, if they didn't have to scroll through all the threads. Conversely, the advanced hobbyist wouldn't need to scroll through multiple repetitive threads looking for the info they were looking for either. I can see the plus side to this format as well as the minus so please don't think I am against the way things are. Keep in mind tho that most info received by a "newbie' was gotten via an experienced hobbyist as their source. Under the current format, there is no decernable way for a newbie to know if the info being given on a thread is coming from someone who has "been there, done that" or someone who just likes to see their name on a post. If they read an answer filled with wrong info before the moderator or other member catches it, the damage is already done. Probable outcome: Dead fish. It's a complicated issue, I know.
I got this idea from my schooling. I don't know if schools still teach in this manner but when I was in school, there were prerequisite classes you had to take before you could get into an advanced class of a subject. For example, you couldn't get into Algabra class if you didn't take the basic math class and pass it. You couldn't get into Algabra 2 without going through Algabra 1, etc. Expanding on this format might be a plus for this site. Who knows?

As for the "filling out a resume" I think it WOULD be more helpful to a newbie to know that the info is coming from an experienced member vs. an inexperienced member. I've used this analogy before but I think it still fits: If you wanted to know what it's like on the moon, would you ask Neil Armstrong or the scientists who got him to the moon? No matter how smart the scientist were, Neil has the experience and was there on it so he would know better. Don't you agree?
Just my $.02 worth here. I'm also a member of several other forums, and on one of those forums, they tried something similar to this. End result, nobody uses the advanced section. Why? Not enough participation in those areas. IMO, we don't like stagnat. Speaking for myself, when I get on, I want to see that things have moved, new posts have added, etc. I have something new to read and maybe help with. If all I see when I log on is the same three posts I already looked at, I'm bored and I move on. Its the same factor that can sometimes causes the death of a forum because it has too many subforums, and things are not active enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdpuffer View Post
You guys have some really good insight into the subject. I'm not talking about about unique scenarios however. I'm concerned about the constant aiptasia ID threads. Aiptasia is aiptasia no matter how you look at it and it is treated in a few different ways. I really like the idea of a sticky on aiptasia Id and treatment. I did not start this thread to make people feel stupid or to be ignorant, I started due to what I feel is a valid concern and I'm sure more than just myself gets tired of answer the same question 6 times a day. If a person honestly doesn't know what aiptasia is and starts a thread asking "what is this?" is one thing but if a person asks what something is by name they do know enough to actually look into it a little. I'm not saying we can't help them but I am getting frustrated with seeing a constant stream of people asking for an id by name and causing other peoples issues that may or may not be more serious to be pushed down the list. I think adding a sticky to the Id thread that outlines some common hitchhikers, their reef compatibility as well as some common problems such as ich and how to deal with these things would be a great addition to this forum. This is why I started this thread, well it seems we have a good solution so how do we go about creating a sticky? I would happily help with writing it.
Yes and no, what about Manjo nems? Most newer people aren't going to be able to distinguish between the two, and even some coral polyps may appear to be aiptasia to the inexperienced eye. Many of these "duplicate" threads have individual pictures, and for the inexperienced, it is not all that simply to look at somebody else's picture and say, "yep that is what I have for sure."

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 02:30 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samzter

We can't just expect them to always "do research " or "google it" they come to this site for help and they are still learning their way around the forum. Give them some time to get used to things around the site and just let them figure it out for themselves. I agree about the multiple thread things , it does get a little annoying! But the thing I'm trying to say is that I also get annoyed with people who have been on here for a while who still post 2-3+ after one another, without the edit button. I understand where your coming from but they are still learning their way around the site. Are you allowed to text type on this site. EG: y r those fish swimming at nite , or: dats just wat those fish do m8 . Thats what annoys me.
Text type, not using periods, bad spelling makes it hard on the brain trying to decipher what they are trying to say. Using "Your" instead of "you're" , also not proof reading before sending post. Sorry to get off topic.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com