Aimed at "newbies"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kdpuffer

Aquarium Advice Addict
I Have been a member on this forum for quite some time and would like to express something that I'm sure we have all experienced. This is in no means meant as a deterrent to new comers and novice aquarists. I have become increasingly frustrated over the last few months by constant ich and aiptasia posts that have been popping up and flooding the ID section. I understand people's concern for their aquatic friends but people need to take a little initiative sometimes. When I log on and check the ID or sick fish sections and half the threads on each are "is this ich" or "is this aiptasia" it gets incredibly annoying and repetitive. Sometimes people need to take some personal accountability and do some research. If you know what aiptasia is then do a google search as opposed to taking up space on the forum for yet another aiptasia thread. There are people out there that have things that they need identified but they keep getting pushed further and further down the line with every new "aiptasia?, or I think this is aiptasia" thread clogging up the arteries. If you can spell aiptasia then you know what it is. The same thing goes with the constant ich threads and in the exact same manner. If you think it's aiptasia or ich then show some incentive and do a google search or search on this forum for it cause there is 5 million other people that have posted asking the same question and got the same answer. For a forum that [edit] everyone for being off topic I'm surprised at how lenient it is with some other more concerning issues. I am a member on many other forums and all of them will close a thread with a suggestion to actually get your fingers moving and do a search for the thousands or millions of other threads on there that already deal with the exact same issue. If a person doesn't know is one thing but like I said if you can spell the word or ask about it by some spelling rendition of the name then you know enough about it to save us all time in saying "yes it is and you need to treat it by doing this" well that's my gripe and I'm sure many others so I'll end it here and wish everyone longevity and happy pest eradication.

Last edited by a moderator:
The best part is when they ask how to treat ick and u tell them and they tell u oh my lfs sold me this garlic remedy or reef safe med I'm gunna try...uh well why ask on hear then and no matter how many times u tell them it won't work they tell u oh well I'm gunna see what happens I can't afford a 20 qt. Tank but I can spend 25 on snake oils grrrr ...I feel yur frustration

I get y people ask I don't trust a lfs that will sell you fish even when they know the person will probly jus kill the fish then come back and buy more cuz its good business

I think you are 99% wrong. The new aquarium keeper may very well know what there problem is, but just needs a little hand holding from the more experenced hobbiest. There are many of us on this board that don't mind helping out. I do see your point. Is there some kind of a filter to filter out posts with words like aiptasia or ich? If so you should use it.

Just remember you too were once so excited about something that you didn't want to screw it up. I have been keeping tanks since I was five (45yrs) and I still ask questions. There are no stupid questions just dumb or wrong answers. Knowledge is worthless unless shared.

Some people just need reassurance that is all

angelfish4 said:
I think you are 99% wrong. The new aquarium keeper may very well know what there problem is, but just needs a little hand holding from the more experenced hobbiest. There are many of us on this board that don't mind helping out. I do see your point. Is there some kind of a filter to filter out posts with words like aiptasia or ich? If so you should use it.

I do not agree. I understand Kd's point, it upsets me when there happen to be 5 threads on a single topic. Just the other day i saw multiple threads on nudi branches, and then someone asks what a nudi branch is on a different thread... If that person had looked right below the thread he/she had just made the definition would have been staring that person right in the face. Maybe before people ask the same question many times, they should look and see if the question was already asked/answered in the past. Just a thought.

Folks, we can have a debate here but let's leave any vulgarity/attacks out of it please.

There are many, many topics on both the fresh and salt side that have been covered ad-nauseum. It doesn't mean people are going to find them/see them. Many folks that come here don't know how to use the search features on the site.

My advice would be a few things: 1. There is nothing wrong with linking folks to another thread thread that has already covered the subject. 2. While I do not think that every reply ought to be "use google or use the search feature" there are often ways of kindly pointing out the search feature without being a jerk about it. 3. If it really bugs you and you cannot address it tactfully in the thread than just ignore it... there will be many many more people that come here looking to ID ich a/o aiptasia. They are 2 of the most common issues that newbies will be looking for advice on. While there is plenty of info out there on both subjects, people come to a forum to talk with real people in almost real time, not read articles, etc. It is the nature of the beast.

kdpuffer said:
I Have been a member on this forum for quite some time and would like to express something that I'm sure we have all experienced. This is in no means meant as a deterrent to new comers and novice aquarists. I have become increasingly frustrated over the last few months by constant ich and aiptasia posts that have been popping up and flooding the ID section. I understand people's concern for their aquatic friends but people need to take a little initiative sometimes. When I log on and check the ID or sick fish sections and half the threads on each are "is this ich" or "is this aiptasia" it gets incredibly annoying and repetitive. Sometimes people need to take some personal accountability and do some research. If you know what aiptasia is then do a google search as opposed to taking up space on the forum for yet another aiptasia thread. There are people out there that have things that they need identified but they keep getting pushed further and further down the line with every new "aiptasia?, or I think this is aiptasia" thread clogging up the arteries. If you can spell aiptasia then you know what it is. The same thing goes with the constant ich threads and in the exact same manner. If you think it's aiptasia or ich then show some incentive and do a google search or search on this forum for it cause there is 5 million other people that have posted asking the same question and got the same answer. For a forum that [edit] everyone for being off topic I'm surprised at how lenient it is with some other more concerning issues. I am a member on many other forums and all of them will close a thread with a suggestion to actually get your fingers moving and do a search for the thousands or millions of other threads on there that already deal with the exact same issue. If a person doesn't know is one thing but like I said if you can spell the word or ask about it by some spelling rendition of the name then you know enough about it to save us all time in saying "yes it is and you need to treat it by doing this" well that's my gripe and I'm sure many others so I'll end it here and wish everyone longevity and happy pest eradication.

We can't just expect them to always "do research " or "google it" they come to this site for help and they are still learning their way around the forum. Give them some time to get used to things around the site and just let them figure it out for themselves. I agree about the multiple thread things , it does get a little annoying! But the thing I'm trying to say is that I also get annoyed with people who have been on here for a while who still post 2-3+ after one another, without the edit button. I understand where your coming from but they are still learning their way around the site. Are you allowed to text type on this site. EG: y r those fish swimming at nite , or: dats just wat those fish do m8 . Thats what annoys me.

I see both sides, so.....

I see both sides to this issue and as a former retail pet shop manager, I know it gets frustrating seeing or hearing the same question over and over. ( I left retail for exactly the reasons expressed on this thread.) I have a suggestion to the moderators or website designer: Divide each forum, within each section(Fw & SW) into headings "Beginners", "Advanced" & "Most asked questions" in both. The advanced hobbyists have the option which to post in but the newbies can only post in the beginner sections for a limited amount of time. Set this up to enable everybody access to the advanced section to learn by the postings of advanced hobbyists but not be able to post into the advanced section until they have "X" number of posts in the beginner's section or something along that line. This way, the advanced hobbyists can choose to go to the "beginner" section to help or stay in the advanced sections for more advanced issues. As mentioned in a previous post, there are enough advanced hobbyists that are more then willing to help the newbies. The others that don't won't to, won't have to deal with this issue. If this is not an acceptable alternative, make a FAQ section and put a pop up window when opening the particular forums stating that prior to creating a new thread, check the FAQ section first.
Obviously, there will need to be some filtering needed to be done by the website designer but I'm sure if they used the similar filter that designates each member as a "Newbie, Finatic, etc., it would be a good start. Even if a newbie slips through the circumvents the filter, their postings will give them away and appropriate actions can be taken by AA.

Just a possible solution to this situation (y)

On the business side, a forum dies if no one starts new threads and only searches and reads old threads. Ad prices are sold based on threads, replies, click rates, page views and such among other things.

The forums need the new people to start new threads to survive.

Like fort384 said, if it bugs you, browse past to the next newtopic. Someone else will be happy to help.

Andy Sager said:
I see both sides to this issue and as a former retail pet shop manager, I know it gets frustrating seeing or hearing the same question over and over. ( I left retail for exactly the reasons expressed on this thread.) I have a suggestion to the moderators or website designer: Divide each forum, within each section(Fw & SW) into headings "Beginners", "Advanced" & "Most asked questions" in both. The advanced hobbyists have the option which to post in but the newbies can only post in the beginner sections for a limited amount of time. Set this up to enable everybody access to the advanced section to learn by the postings of advanced hobbyists but not be able to post into the advanced section until they have "X" number of posts in the beginner's section or something along that line. This way, the advanced hobbyists can choose to go to the "beginner" section to help or stay in the advanced sections for more advanced issues. As mentioned in a previous post, there are enough advanced hobbyists that are more then willing to help the newbies. The others that don't won't to, won't have to deal with this issue. If this is not an acceptable alternative, make a FAQ section and put a pop up window when opening the particular forums stating that prior to creating a new thread, check the FAQ section first.
Obviously, there will need to be some filtering needed to be done by the website designer but I'm sure if they used the similar filter that designates each member as a "Newbie, Finatic, etc., it would be a good start. Even if a newbie slips through the circumvents the filter, their postings will give them away and appropriate actions can be taken by AA.

I really like that idea

I don't foresee us limiting or excluding folks just based on post count any time in the near future. Post count is all too often not indicative at all of someone's knowledge level. For the most part this is a very open community and anyone can offer their opinion on a subject. It's one of the things that makes this a great community. The challenge is to tactfully combat bad advice when you see it. It is up to the user to decide who's advice they want to follow or not follow.

I too agree with Justin. Our purpose here at AA is to help out the Hobby. To answer those questions that others have. It basically is a two part procedure. To research your question but also to find out the experiences of others. That`s where AA comes into place as we are there to support you and give you our experiences. People that are new in the hobby just want three things. Facts, experiences and assurance that they are headed in the right direction. That`s why I say to the OP that you are not taking everything into account. It`s definitely what we are NOT about here at AA.

Im not at all saying i wont help them, i would love to. But if a new member puts effort into his/her question i am more likely to help out. If they ried to find the answer by themself and they come here for extra assurance i will help every time. But if the new member asks "What do i need for saltwater coral tank" or something im going to reply and say what the heck do you mean? JMO

That would be an acceptable reply... But that is not what the op stated.

I think some questions that we think that can just be researched may have been started by people who tried researching and found nothing. For instance, I tried researching how to start a SW reef, and no sites were really in-depth enough for me. They all kind of assumed the reader already knew stuff about SW, so they were of little help to me. They mentioned skimmers, sumps and lots of stuff I just read and thought, "What?"

People are not so easily split up into categories. One may know worlds about African cichlids, but be a total beginner at breeding killifish. Who is to say what issue is advanced or not? Separating things out like that can create confusion leave more room for questions to slip through the cracks and never be answered.

I am just going to add that I certainly understand frustrations with people not doing any research and instead seeking instant gratification, but there are tons of circumstances and situations that drive people to ask the questions they ask. Be careful when talking to new people and give them a bit of benefit of the doubt. You certainly can ignore questions as well and leave them for people who don't mind answering. I often have to leave threads for people with more patience than me.

People are not so easily split up into categories. One may know worlds about African cichlids, but be a total beginner at breeding killifish. Who is to say what issue is advanced or not? Separating things out like that can create confusion leave more room for questions to slip through the cracks and never be answered.

I am just going to add that I certainly understand frustrations with people not doing any research and instead seeking instant gratification, but there are tons of circumstances and situations that drive people to ask the questions they ask. Be careful when talking to new people and give them a bit of benefit of the doubt. You certainly can ignore questions as well and leave them for people who don't mind answering. I often have to leave threads for people with more patience than me.

I completely agree. I also want to add (I think fort may have said this earlier), post count does not necessarily equivalent experience level or aquarium knowledge. For all we know our new members may have had 45 years of fishkeeping experience already!

Yes and the reverse is true as well. We have some members with 30+ posts a day that have less than a year or two of experience. I am not knocking them - it's great to have active members... But knowledge level and activity don't go hand in hand.

I for example have 8000+ posts but have only had a SW reef for 6 months... Any advice I give on the saltwater side has to be taken with a grain of, uh, salt.

Back
Top Bottom