Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
View Poll Results: Necessary or just for aesthetics?
Necessary for fish health. 2 16.67%
Purely for aesthetics. 10 83.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-03-2012, 01:22 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

I have them for use in emergencies and for added aeration if needed but they just sit unplugged in the cupboard because the noise annoys me.

Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 01:55 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumma.of.two View Post
I have them for use in emergencies and for added aeration if needed but they just sit unplugged in the cupboard because the noise annoys me.
What brand of air pumps do you use? I have used and currently am using a Whisper brand air pump and it is vey quiet. Maybe if the noise is bugging you then maybe try yo put the air pump on some foam for insulated noise reduction.

Old 01-03-2012, 02:09 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have one in my shrimp tank purely for a little water agitation since there's no filter currently running in there.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:13 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshwaterFishJunkie
What brand of air pumps do you use? I have used and currently am using a Whisper brand air pump and it is vey quiet. Maybe if the noise is bugging you then maybe try yo put the air pump on some foam for insulated noise reduction.
Thanks. Its the noise of the bubbles themselves that gets me! Lol (maybe I'm just weird )
Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 02:28 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have mine for both of those reasons...even though i probably already have enough aeration without it.

I also have it for a third reason and that is that some of my fish seem to like swimming through the bubbles, so i do it for their entertainment and pleasure as well.
Old 01-03-2012, 03:19 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

My fish dont play in the bubbles
I want to take the pump out for mumma.of.two's reason.

But what i have read its the surface agitation that gives air in the water so if you have a water pump at the surface isnt that enough?

What i have also read that its not good to make agitation with the outtake of your filter because the bacteria have already sucked it out.

Edit:
http://animals.howstuffworks.com/pet...equipment5.htm

Hmm surface needs to be broken so wavy isnt enough?
Old 01-03-2012, 04:33 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

I don't have an air pump because I don't need one.

I use a Whisper 10-30 filter on my little tank and I have it lifted so that the water breaks the surface and pushes bubbles way down. I've actually had to move Squidward's house because bubbles were getting into the eye holes and lifting it up. Even if I didn't have it suspended, I think it would provide adequate aeration because it churns the water so aggressively in the back compartment that I can hear it over my fan when I'm sleeping. It's an awesome little filter. I might get some sort of bubble ornament in the future, if I can find one that doesn't look completely stupid, lol. I'd really like one with a tiny, tiny air leak so that only a couple of bubbles are released at once. It would look so much more natural.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:45 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fready View Post
My fish dont play in the bubbles
I want to take the pump out for mumma.of.two's reason.

But what i have read its the surface agitation that gives air in the water so if you have a water pump at the surface isnt that enough?

What i have also read that its not good to make agitation with the outtake of your filter because the bacteria have already sucked it out.

Edit:
Aquarium Aeration and Surface Agitation: Aquarium Fish: Animal Planet

Hmm surface needs to be broken so wavy isnt enough?
What do you mean? The bacteria have already sucked what out?
Old 01-03-2012, 05:11 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Regular

The bacteria in a canister filter also need air to live so when the water comes out it doesnt contain much air anymore or something like that.

I got this from a youtube video from paul talbot but cant find it anymore.
He says you need something to filter AND something to airate.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:24 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Activist

Have one huge air pump to run several tanks, plus a few others that I run sponges and/or HOB's on a tank because there's either lots of residents in the tank or my pet fish who loves to mess with her sponge filter.

Used them in the past for asthetics but now its filteration, gotta tell you though I'm so used to hearing the bubbles all times of the day when I go somewhere its entirely to quiet to sleep

Tags
air, air pump, pump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com