Air pump, why do you have it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Necessary or just for aesthetics?

• Necessary for fish health.

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Purely for aesthetics.

Votes: 10 83.3%

• Total voters
The bacteria in a canister filter also need air to live so when the water comes out it doesnt contain much air anymore or something like that.

I got this from a youtube video from paul talbot but cant find it anymore.
He says you need something to filter AND something to airate.

I don't believe that. The filter aerates the water when it creates surface agitation so it wouldn't matter. An airstone or any other form of extra aeration is not required. I don't run air pumps on any of my aquariums. I don't really understand the concept.

adadkins1 said:
I don't believe that. The filter aerates the water when it creates surface agitation so it wouldn't matter. An airstone or any other form of extra aeration is not required. I don't run air pumps on any of my aquariums. I don't really understand the concept.

Agreed a cannister filter with the outtake set correctly creates excellent surface agitation and all the oxygen you need.Just my opinion though.

This guy was spot on until 1:10, the filter does aerate the water. Granted the bacteria need O2, they are not going to suck all of the oxygen out of the water. He actually contradicts himself because he says that you have to have surface agitation to provide for gas exchange. Then he turns around and acts like your filter doesn't aerate. Filters produce surface agitation and thus provide for gas exchange just like an airstone. So, really , an airstone is not required although since he was talking about Cichlids it is always better to have too much aeration. Especially since they almost always are in overstocked tanks. However, for the average Joe tropical aquariust an airstone is just aesthetics or maybe for emergencies.

Mine's there purely for decoration that has an airstone in it, and my guppies love to play with the bubbles ;) And my tetras :) And - recently - even my red-tailed shark seems to be enjoying it!

Back
Top Bottom