Albino Alligator + other herp pics!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cJw

Aquarium Advice Addict
Another trip to the zoo this wknd; we stuck to the "Herpaquarium" this trip. They did have a few turtle/fish tanks, but none that yielded any pics worth mention...

That family season pass sure is paying off this year! :)

23783801_62c683f5ee.jpg

The Louisville Zoo has been bragging about this guy for months now. I finally got the chance to go see him last weekend... I just wish I could have gotten closer and a better angle for the pic. :|

23783805_322792938b.jpg

IIRC, this guy was called a 'Panther Chameleon' - thanks for the confirmation, Jermz79! : grin : Regardless, his colors were awesome and he was nice and close, just waiting for me to get his pic. :)

23783803_019e376ece.jpg

Not sure about this snake - I'm fairly sure the zoo had it listed as a Copperhead, but it looks like no Copperheads I've ever seen a pic of... still, a gorgeous snake. :)

23783802_f49deda595.jpg

Close up of his head...

23792425_b3c68c8524.jpg

I can recall what type of snake this is at all, but I love this pic - the pose, the color, the look in it's eyes... :p

I actually didn't see him move at all while I was there - he looked quite fake, like a very large plastic alligator toy or somesuch...

If I'd thought he as nice, I probably would have hopped into his home and gotten a face shot. ;)

Nice pics cJw !!!

The picture of the lizard you believe was a "panther iguana" ... you were close, I believe it is a "panther chameleon"!!! Very cool little guy, I used to have a pair! Awesome creatures!!!

cJw said:
I actually didn't see him move at all while I was there - he looked quite fake, like a very large plastic alligator toy or somesuch...

If I'd thought he as nice, I probably would have hopped into his home and gotten a face shot. ;)

I'm sure he wouldn't do anything to harm you. Maybe you can get us a face shot just make sure he's smiling.

virus - no, the Lou zoo doesn't have anything like an aquarium, but they do have a few tanks with turtles/fish in 'em, and one whole tank (not very big @ all) devoted to 'Bucktooth Tetras', for some reason.

Oddbal1011.jpg

The Bucktooth Tetra (They were about 5-6" in the tank I saw)

Tiger - why don't you come visit and take the pic for me; I like the use of my hands. :D

About how big was he? He looks small in the picture. I would think they are rare I've never seen an albino aligator.

Attachments

• albino_alligator_smile.jpg
    albino_alligator_smile.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 28
He was about 5-6' long (2.5-3m)... so I would assume he's fairly young. I don't remember hearing about him before last year, so I think the Lou Zoo got him around then.

I wouldn't guess he's much older that 1-1.5 years - if Toirtis ever stops by this thread, he can probably tell us to the week how old this 'gator is. :)

Heh...not quite. There are a few albino allies out there...really stunning beasts. At his size, I would guess at about 2-4 years, but there are a lot of factors that affect growth, and I am not at the moment certain where they obtained him, but I am sure I can find records and therefore an age.

Thanks for stoppin' by, T - and btw, can you confirm/deny the ID on that supposed 'copperhead' in the prervious page?

Albino alligators are rare, obviously (As with most albino things).

They also dont live near as long. In the wild they are killed or die very quickly because of their "albinoness". Other gators kill them because they look differant, and since it is albino its harder for it to live in the wild (More fragile).

They live longer in zoos and such, but they still dont live as long as other gators in zoos either.

cJw said:
Thanks for stoppin' by, T - and btw, can you confirm/deny the ID on that supposed 'copperhead' in the prervious page?

Looks a bit like an Agkistrodon piscavorus ssp., actually...very closely related to the copperhead (Agkistrodon contortix ssp.) and the colour/patter can vary greatly depending on locale...somebody with sloppy labelling, no doubt...or they moved some snakes around temporarily and neglected to post it. No, wait, the eyes look wrong...let me do a bit of head scalation comaprisons, and I will get back to you....US snakes are not my forte....I am a Boid boy. :wink:

I do remember reading that venemous snakes had UN-round pupils and this snake's pupils sure look round... hrm.

Toirtis said:
cJw said:
I do remember reading that venemous snakes had UN-round pupils and this snake's pupils sure look round... hrm.

Actually, a number of venomous snakes do have round pupils.

I agree. You certainly don't want to use that as an indication of if it's venomous or not. 8O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom