All-Glass Aquarium Bust

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

macman7010

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I got my girlfriend (kmayhew01) a 20 gallon long All Glass aquarium in Feb of 05 for her birthday. Today she got home from school and the bottom was busted out and all the water drained, all her fish dead, filters burnt up - etc etc. The room the tank was in will need partially re-modeled since the drywall is shot, so is the carpet and some other stuff.

I wondered if anyone else has had an expierence like this, I have contacted All Glass, the tank was on an All Glass pine stand and should not have broken. Anyone else had a similar expierence, and did all glass help out with all the costs.

Was the tank/stand level? I picked up a 20L gallon All-Glass tank that was about a year old for free because of scratches on the side. I was going to just replace that one side, but when I got around to ripping the tank apart, it was very difficult. It was sealed very well and took quite a bit of acetone and elbow grease to get the side off (which still sits off... in the garage. lol). I'd imagine there had to be some other underlying factor to the bust.

Something sounds fishy about this (sorry). It just sounds like there is something missing from this scenario. Was there anything really heavy in the middle?

Was the tank sitting directly on the stand? Some people put something between the tank and the stand and sometimes this can actually cause the tank to sit unleveled. All Glass has a great reputation but it's possible you got a defective tank. Very weird for the bottem to "bust out."

Yes, I've seen All Glass Aquarium tanks break and AGA was always very good about replacing the tank and what was ruined. These tanks can easily be shipped with stress fractures in the glass, sometimes even damaged during shipping, just make sure you have your receipt for both the tank and the stand...if you've lost it...see if your LFS will make you a duplicate one.

I had to take down my 55 gallon AGA over summer because the silicone was showing signs of failure (according to AGA who had looked at digital photos I sent it). It had only been set up since the previous November. :? AGA was more than happy to swap out my tank BUT it was my LFS that was a PITA because the tank wasn't physically leaking! Geez... let me go set it back up in my 3rd floor apartment and *wait* for it to break even though AGA said it was failing :roll:

I would investigate the break and what was sitting on top. Perhaps a heavy decoration fell (like stacked rocks) or it could have been faulty glass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom