Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 06-29-2005, 08:20 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

My allergies are acting up big time this week. My nose is stuffed, I have bad post-nasal drip, and I have coughing fits that make me sound like a barking sealion.

The same thing happenned last year right around July 4 - I was diagnosed with seasonal asthma and given an inhalant that cleared up the problem in a few days.

Yesterday, the doctor listened to my lungs and said they sounded clear - no asthma. He prescribed a nasal spray decongestant/steroid and a bottle of cough syrup - I picked them up this afternoon.

This cough syrup is absolutely vile! It smells like MelaFix, and probably doesn't taste much better! The only upside is that it contains codeine, so I will be in cough-free sleepyland soon.

Just letting everyone know - in case my posts become incoherent, it's the cough syrup at work!!

Old 06-29-2005, 08:23 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
I have coughing fits that make me sound like a barking sealion.
Could you please record that and post it along with a real sealion. I think we should judge it for ourselves.

Sorry to hear about the allergies I have been sort of allergy free since my bout with bronchitis.

Old 06-29-2005, 08:43 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Hope you feel better and enjoy that codeine!
Old 06-29-2005, 09:04 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus
Ask your doctor about Astelin, an antihistamine nose spray that you use every day and it does wonders to prevent the reaction in your nose that winds up in your bronchial tubes and in your chest. A lot of people find that they can go off much of their inhalant medication after they started it.

My allergies are getting worse and worse the older I get, and lately it seems like it is getting worse month to month, so I feel your pain! Chicken soup
Old 06-29-2005, 09:58 PM   #5
Man mine are bad too. Have been all summer. Every single pill out there I have become immune to.
Old 06-29-2005, 11:28 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak
I feel your pain. Allergies and asthma what a joy just throw in the third point of the triangle the lovely eczema/dry skin and you got it made. Along with myself I have the pleasure of having a 4 and 2 year old in the same boat. Singular, Advair, albuterol, flonase, zyrtec, pulmicort respules, etc......then of course the endless supply of oral steroids and antibiotics. You name it we got it somewhere. It seems like a nebulizer is running at my house 24/7. My pharmacist just shakes his head as soon as I walk through the door. Good news is I have already accumulated enough receipts to file itemized medical claims this next year.
Old 06-30-2005, 12:04 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

QTOFFER, and everyone, I'm sorry to hear about your allergies. I have them bad too -- all the environmental and quite a number of food allergies too. Lepomis, you're lucky that you can take Advair. I can't tolerate that inhaled steroid, so I have to take (and pay for!) Serevent and Pulmicort. I have recently begun to take Spiriva and I do feel that it's helping. I hope your kids feel better too.

Old 06-30-2005, 12:20 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak
Both my kids on the pulmicort (twice a day). It really has made a difference for them really impressive how well it works for them. I like the Advair, only downside I can't get enough water. I can get buy without it some months of the year. My concern now is all the things I was allergic to as a kid (went through several years of shots to desensitize me to the allergin) are starting to bother me again and found out last fall seafood is no longer a good idea either. So I will have to live with it from here on out. I chucked what cologne I had a few months ago and will most likely be looking at having a lawn service unless my wife starts to mow.
Old 06-30-2005, 01:51 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Note that I'm not giving medical advice, just shouting out some options,

Cytokines and leukotrienes (some of the inflammatory mediators of the body) are derived from arachadonic acid. Animals products (diary, meat) are promoters of arachadonic acid (a psuedo-essential fatty acid, but the body can produce it). Therefore one option may be to try a two week elimination diet with fish oil supplementation (increases omega 3 fatty acids and decreases inflammation) and see if it helps (I'm not a vegetarian, but when allergy season comes around, I tend to eat less animal products).

If you have a plethora of sinus congestion, a netti pot of saline 2-3x/day can be extremely useful. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neti_pot

A HEPA filter for the home along with a HEPA vacuum can help as well.
Old 06-30-2005, 09:30 AM   #10
AA Team Emeritus
If you can't find a netti pot just use a bulb syringe or even a large medical syringe - (heck, a turkey baster!) - twice a day in the shower. It is very strongly recommended for anyone with any kind of chronic nasal/sinus/allergy condition. Kindof weird when you start but you get used to it. I work for allergists and this is recommended to everyone.

Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com