Always get a picture :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sinibotia

Aquarium Advice Addict
So, my professor has been promising me a used 50ish gallon tank for a while now and I was planning on using it for a rescue oscar. Well, a week after the $/gallon sale ends, I get the tank and it's a bit of a wreck. No top rim or brace, silicon looks bad along the inside edges, bottom rim is cracked and has a weird brace underneath that puts a big plastic lump as a pressure point on the bottom of the tank. It bows out 1/2 an inch when full. I could repair it, but it would cost nearly as much as (or more than) a brand new $/gallon 55 gallon, and I would never trust it considering I'm in a rental living situation. I wish I had known the tank was in this shape.

At this point I'm giving it to a good friend who needs an upgrade for his baby python, and we'll go halfway together on a brand new 55 during the next $/gallon. Unfortunately the $/gallon just ended. Does anyone know if there's a pattern to them or when the next one might be?

Bad break! Sorry to hear that. I don't have any information on the Petco dollar deals but I periodically check Craigslist in my area for tanks and often see 55 gallon tanks for a price close to $55. Granted, prices could be linked to location, but CL might be worth a check...unless this experience has soured your desire for a used tank.

I don't really pay attention to it because I don't have room for anymore tanks anyway, but my dollar per gallon sale lasts all summer and longer. I agree, check CL, there are some great deals on there!

There is one at the local store near me. Its called "The Hidden Reef" in Levittown PA.

Bad break! Sorry to hear that. I don't have any information on the Petco dollar deals but I periodically check Craigslist in my area for tanks and often see 55 gallon tanks for a price close to $55. Granted, prices could be linked to location, but CL might be worth a check...unless this experience has soured your desire for a used tank.

I have not had any luck on CL. They want top dollar for used junk.

Abt every 2-3months.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
they are 4 times a year I believe and evenly spaced apart.
Usually starting near the end of one month going through the next and ending in the start of the next(as last was late June till first week in Aug)
Thinking next will be end of Sept..

I thought petco just did sales for the lulz

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I thought petco just did sales for the lulz

Nope, they both do them several times throughout the year. There are hobbyists who just buy tanks but they're banking on the folks who end up buying a filter, heater, stand, etc in addition.

Also watch pet supplies plus. They do the some sale but not as often.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Pet Supplies Plus is doing the dollar per gallon sale now on up to 55g. They told me it was going on until Sept 23. Aqueon tanks at my store.

We don't have them around here. But I picked up a used 55 and hood, filter, lights, heater, and air pump for $75 at my lfs.

Sent from my XT830C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom