Amazon sword immersed!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KuhliCray

Aquarium Advice Regular
Inspired by Kishore’s post about growing an anubias out of water, I decided to try it with a baby amazon sword plant! Is there anything I should really look out for? (Besides browning leaves) IMG_1518976118.647482.jpg

I would find a way to cover it to retain the moisture. That way the leaves don’t dry out and die. This gives them a chance to make the transition to terrestrial mode.

Make sure it's loosely planted and the roots are tacked down. Sword plants don't need alot of light to grow. And potting soil (looks like what you are using) probably will not work for swords. It will pretty just kill the plant. Loosely planted and low light should do it some good. If you have a 2 liter bottle, cut the top off put some rocks of gravel in the bottom maybe try a fertilizer tab under the plant and add your plant and water then cover the top with the piece you cut off, sliding it over the other piece. If you have to, tape the area that is cut. Then put it in the window. Low light.

Make sure it's loosely planted and the roots are tacked down. Sword plants don't need alot of light to grow. And potting soil (looks like what you are using) probably will not work for swords. It will pretty just kill the plant. Loosely planted and low light should do it some good. If you have a 2 liter bottle, cut the top off put some rocks of gravel in the bottom maybe try a fertilizer tab under the plant and add your plant and water then cover the top with the piece you cut off, sliding it over the other piece. If you have to, tape the area that is cut. Then put it in the window. Low light.

Indirect sunlight, and I’m using black sand. I’ll put a jar over it while it transitions too. Thanks for everybody’s tips!

Why would the potting soil not work for swords? That's what's in m tank and my tank swords grow amazing! Crap now I wanna do the experiment on a sword! I started AR mini and an anubia yesterday today I am gonna play with a sword!

It might work. I'm just say'n the swords are to be planted loosely. Potting soil packs down more, crowding the roots, and sooner or later the roots will begin to rot, and plant will die.

I moved it to a plastic bottle cut in half with plastic wrap to lock in humidity. One leaf is a bit shriveled up. It just looks dry.

Back
Top Bottom