Ammonia levels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Glennlthr

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am having an issue with my ammonia being high (1.0) in my tank an it isn't dropping I have been putting purge in it as directed on bottle an it has been close to 2 weeks an it hasn't really changed! Any advise oh and I don't have any dead fish I did but I did a water change an have been adding purge as directed...

Daily water changes will bring it down.

Is the tank cycled or is this a new tank?

If it's an established tank, where is the ammonia coming from?

Sent from my LG-H343 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

This tank is about 2 months old I originally had some fish die in it an I definitely had some high levels from that but have done water changes ( not daily though) an have been purging it as directed but still no change! So you say I should do daily water changes if so for how long? Couple days a week or two?

How big is the tank? What are you using for filtration? 2months should be cycled by now, have you recently added a bunch of fish?

Sent from my LG-H343 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It is a 75 gal tank I currently have only 4 fish in there I had more but they died due to ammonia levels being too high which that has been about three weeks ago I didn't want to add any more fish until I got the levels right but

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Filtration is two 350 marineland filter pumps

Ammonia is the first step in the Nitrogen cycle. It's a sign of decaying waste, food, dead fish hiding somewhere etc. Bacteria turn ammonia in to nitrites, and a different bacteria turn nitrites into nitrates. You can add a heavy plant load to remove nitrates, or do water changes to remove/reduce nitrates.

If your filters can't keep up with the ammonia/waste either you're feeding too much, or there is something else causing the ammonia spike in the tank. ie what substrate are you using? some substrates will release ammonia.

In an emergency situation massive water changes can be used to reduce ammonia, but you're taking food away from the bacteria living in your filter media so you don't want to rely upon it to keep your ammonia levels down.

While doing a water change are you vacuuming your substrate? if it's gravel are you inserting the tube into the substrate and pulling as much crud up as you can? (only part of the substrate for each water change, as bacteria live here as well)

Ok thanks a lot I will test it out

Ok thanks a lot I will test it out

Sorry I'm so scatter brained. I'm moving in 2 days, my plate is more than full! :brows: Yes please do, if you can test for nitrites and nitrates that would be helpful.

You might try testing your tap water too.... Mine always has a trace of ammonia registering in it.

Back
Top Bottom