Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-07-2005, 11:25 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clown Monarch
I wasted about 3 years of my life in French. Can someone tell me why a "house" is feminine? Why does any inanimate object have a sexual orientation? I also thought formal/informal was pretty stupid too. Give me English any day.
Umm... I resent comments like this. Really, why is it stupid? It has to do with the way the language works. Has nothing to do with sexual orientation. I think that if, after 3 years of learning (?) French, you still consider it wasted time, then you did not learn anything.

Learning another language opens up new horizons and allows one to broadened his/her knowledge. As some wise old man told me once: "To learn a language, is to understand the people"

It's nothing personal, but I just could not let something like this go by without saying anything about it.

Have a nice day, just the same.

Vote Here for Aquarium Advice
Old 03-07-2005, 11:28 AM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
We park in a driveway and drive on a parkway.
Amen to that one. Always been one of my favorites.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

Old 03-07-2005, 11:32 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleyBlue
The English language is the hardest to learn
I have tried to learn my wife's native language (Russian), and I have to say that it is extremely hard to learn. As an example, there are tenses that do not even exist in either English or French. So it makes it very difficult to properly learn and understand all the subtleties of the language. In fact, I think that, in any language, understanding subtleties proves to be very trying for non native speakers.

Interesting thread, nonetheless.

8)

Vote Here for Aquarium Advice
Old 03-07-2005, 11:56 AM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleyBlue
As an english major.. everything about what we have to do is crazy but imagine there was only one language.. how boring would that be.. The English language is the hardest to learn
I can surely sympathize there Bubbly. I thought that I had a decent enough grip on the language that it was my minor in college (just in case the business circumlum ummm...failed.)

Found that I didn't know a thing! The English language taught in schools is basic. College more or less said: "Hold everything please...forget all that American stuff...here's the real language...yes...you're starting over"!

An amazing eye opener what? (that is an example). Talk about confusing!!!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com