Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-20-2005, 10:28 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist
I've got a PII-300, with 64M ram running debian as my home server/firewall/etc., and it works like a champ. Your machine would be a step up from what I have

Of course my system also worked just fine when it was a P75 with 40M ram, so I'm not complaining.

I had also thought about donating it to the local schools, but they pretty much turned their nose up at it. At least around here it seems they have plenty of computers on their hands and don't need peoples toss-offs.

Old 04-21-2005, 12:07 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via AIM to flipz
yea, schools don't need comps like they used to. with ibm, dell, and pretty much every other provider offering huge discounts... it's much easier for them to network a school when they all have identical computers that are already setup to do that than some random computer they got donated. much easier to troubleshoot too considering if they have any problems they can send it right back and not have to deal with any of it.

Come join the Ohio forum on AA!
Old 04-21-2005, 08:06 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via Yahoo to deli_conker
When I was consulting at the Post Office, we shipped all of our old stuff to prisons and libraries. Places that aren't looking to buy a big fat dell package.
Old 04-21-2005, 09:59 AM   #14
AA Team Emeritus
I wanted to donate it to my Alma Mater (grade school) for use by the PTA members.
The PTA (Parent's Teacher's Association) does not recieve, nor can they use school computers...this was the driving part of my reason for wanting to donate it to them. It is not intended for the "school" proper...they seem to have an overabundance...LOL.

I haven't been in contact with them yet...but I do need to ask if they can even use the school's network...

Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com