Another question/advice for you techies!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jchillin

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've been fortunate to have come into possession of a "decommissioned" desktop. It is a Compaq Deskpro. It has the following:

18.5 Squzzy (sp) drive
256 mb memory
CD drive
3.5 floppy drive
Sound card (don't have it to see type)
Pentium II
256kbps modem

This was used primarily as an office machine (hence the drive specs). It is loaded with XP and all the other goodie software.

Question: Is it worth changing the harddrive...it is a bit noisy and has limited space?

Changing drives is a piece of cake, but you could just keep the current drive as your O/S only drive, and slap in another much larger drive for not taht much, and use that drive to install your programs/applications and store your data. HTH

8)

Really, it all depends on what you want to do with it.

A P-II will not run most games out these days.

If the Hard Drive is SCSI, you'd have to change it out with a new SCSI drive, unless the computer has support for standard EIDE / IDE drives.

If it's free, I'd suggest using it for no more than a file store, or maybe balancing your checkbook.

I can't tell if you're pointing out my spelling error or not :biglol:

Oh well, techies, please continue to help Jc and I will stay out of this one :D

just like verb said, if the main drive is SCSI (scuzzy. :wink: ) then it's possible it won't support a regular ide drive at all. no way to know without searching the model number, or cracking it open.

SCSI drives are VERY pricy, so it's not really worth it replacing it. if you could put an ide in there it might be worth it, but otherwise id leave it as is and just use it for email... or browsing AA. :D

I'm surprised a PII can handle XP. Sounds like it would be running slow. I like the recommendation of using it as a file server, if you have a network going at home or you want to set one up. That system would make a fine computer for someone who doesn't currently have one.

Thanks for the input all. I wanted to donate it to my Alma Mater (grade school) for use by the PTA members. I know the computer cannot support IDE, so I guess it's better left as is.

Yes, PII can support XP...and yeah, it will be slower than the current souped up PIV.

Special thanks to Verbalkint - Even with your current injury, you were able to provide assistance. :D

Sentimental note to Menagerie - I hope your "brian" recovers. :wink:

Add a couple ethernet NICs and that would be a sweet hardware firewall/gateway/router/file server if use *nix (I prefer Debian or FreeBSD -- if this is your first time with a server and want a lower learning curve, Clarkconnect and Smoothwall (.org) ), plus a decent small webserver too. If you have or want a home LAN that computer will be of great help and security to you. :)

I've got a PII-300, with 64M ram running debian as my home server/firewall/etc., and it works like a champ. Your machine would be a step up from what I have :)

Of course my system also worked just fine when it was a P75 with 40M ram, so I'm not complaining.

I had also thought about donating it to the local schools, but they pretty much turned their nose up at it. At least around here it seems they have plenty of computers on their hands and don't need peoples toss-offs.

yea, schools don't need comps like they used to. with ibm, dell, and pretty much every other provider offering huge discounts... it's much easier for them to network a school when they all have identical computers that are already setup to do that than some random computer they got donated. much easier to troubleshoot too considering if they have any problems they can send it right back and not have to deal with any of it.

When I was consulting at the Post Office, we shipped all of our old stuff to prisons and libraries. Places that aren't looking to buy a big fat dell package.

I wanted to donate it to my Alma Mater (grade school) for use by the PTA members.

The PTA (Parent's Teacher's Association) does not recieve, nor can they use school computers...this was the driving part of my reason for wanting to donate it to them. It is not intended for the "school" proper...they seem to have an overabundance...LOL.

I haven't been in contact with them yet...but I do need to ask if they can even use the school's network... :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.