Another shipping question!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

big_al01

Aquarium Advice Freak
What type of bags should i use to ship aquatic plants and where can I get them?

Alright, I didn't know of everyone used something "special" or not lol thanks

That was intended to be somewhat humorous. Just wrap them in a damp paper towel (but not dripping wet... it can cause issues... just damp) and zip them up. I would always double bag them just in case.

I use 1 mil fish bags. You could use pretty much any bag as long as it's relatively sealable. I don't put any water in the bags at all, I just rinse the plants off and put them in a bag, lay it flat to remove all the air and then seal it. An alternative to sealing them would be to just tape it shut. If you are using a ziploc bag I would suggest taping it shut as well just in case, but if it doesn't have much air in it, it shouldn't come open. I also line the bottom of the box with newspaper or some other kind of paper material to absorb any drips.

This is the method I settled on after trying all different methods for several months.

Also how much would a medium priority mail flat rate box cost me to ship at the post office?

What about the priority male cube tube box and the small flat rate?

What about the 7x7x6 cube thing for priority and the small flat rate box?

Medium flat rate is $11.30. I use a lot of padded flat rate envelopes, they run $5.70. Both of those are click n ship prices, it's slightly more at the p.o.

I received lots of plants in regular padded envelopes. I think shipping was only $2 or $3 for them.

Medium flat rate is $11.30. I use a lot of padded flat rate envelopes, they run $5.70. Both of those are click n ship prices, it's slightly more at the p.o.

I received lots of plants in regular padded envelopes. I think shipping was only $2 or $3 for them.

I've used these padded envelopes with a couple pieces of cardboard as bracing on sides, 2 freezer bags facing in opposite directions within each other, and the damp paper towels are great for wrapping plants..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I ship out 20-25 packages of plants a week and 95% of the time I use the 7x7x6 priority boxes. The plants don't need any extra water, so the weight is usually pretty low. Consider insulating the boxes with styrofoam, it helps keep them from getting cooked in the heat. And I don't recommend shipping in bubble mailers/1st class unless it's something super hardy, the travel time is usually longer, the package gets slung around a bit more, and they put them in the mailbox which can be a death sentence.

Do you weigh the packages before you take them? How much do they ususally cost?

Back
Top Bottom