Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-06-2012, 02:15 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

The terro traps are good. Also, they don't usually bomb for ants. We had a tick issue and almost had to bomb. Got rid of it finally with borax.

Good luck!

Old 07-06-2012, 03:04 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iodizedfate
I know it's an infestation but whenever I get ants I use Terro Ant Trap. they swarm it for a couple days then just disappear. Longest it's taken to work is a week. If you have small children or free roaming pets you have to be careful but I've been nothing but amazed out how well it works.

Ant Problem? Terro = Ant Control Solutions
+1 Terro traps. I use them.

Old 07-06-2012, 03:18 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by christine2012 View Post
I'm not sure about the tanks, but if your place is gonna be bug bombed, I would at least move the snake if its housing is a reasonable size. We used to live in an apartment with our ball python collection, which constantly had bugs thanks to some nasty neighbors. I remember the exterminator telling me that on another job the people left their snake and he had no idea until the next day when the people called reporting a snake death caused by the sprays and fumes. I hate to hear that though. I would definitely tape garbage bags over every possible air leak on the tanks.
Went by today, and the problem is 10x better! They are still all over everything, but no longer a swarm. Grabbed cloths and everything to try washing ants off, cleaned up little things to try helping.

The land owners are doing nothing. Say they won't get a pest guy out tell next wednesday, and don't want to compensate rent for time we are unable to stay there. Said they would meet us there today at lunch, but no one ever showed up. We will be going back tonight to sprinkle Boric Acid powder around the rooms, hopefully we can return to our home tomorrow.

There where dead ants in the tank, about 10-20 that I saw, don't think the fish where so interested in them. Hope they don't create an ammonia spike. I'm sure any in the freshwater tanks didn't last a second, they will eat anything lol.

Glad we did go by, one of my crabs knocked my mushroom off into the sand.

Snake seems to be ok. There where ants in his water, but didn't see them on the tank. He has started shedding, so we don't want to move or stress him if we don't have to. Also don't want him getting eaten though :P
Old 07-06-2012, 04:22 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

We have great luck with these ant traps (link below). Just be sure to use enough of othem. I had to put 3 on my bathroom vanity alone to get rid of the ants in there.

The kitchen wasn't so bad. I put one on the countertops about every 8 inches or so.

Amazon.com: Raid Max Double Control Ant Bait-8 ct.: Health & Personal Care
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 04:46 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyndaB View Post
We have great luck with these ant traps (link below). Just be sure to use enough of othem. I had to put 3 on my bathroom vanity alone to get rid of the ants in there.

The kitchen wasn't so bad. I put one on the countertops about every 8 inches or so.

Amazon.com: Raid Max Double Control Ant Bait-8 ct.: Health & Personal Care
Considering we rent, its really not our responsability to spend money, and time on pest control. Even more so when its not even our fault! They happened to find the cutting board interesting, and formed a small line to that, but thats the only thing in the kitchen. We must just have really nasty people living around us.
Old 07-06-2012, 05:30 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkmrsteel

Considering we rent, its really not our responsability to spend money, and time on pest control. Even more so when its not even our fault! They happened to find the cutting board interesting, and formed a small line to that, but thats the only thing in the kitchen. We must just have really nasty people living around us.
We rent as well and we were told that if it doesn't pose immediate threat(ants) then I have to pay for my own pest control. Only thing I'm covered by my renter is roaches. But thank god I have never had a problem with those! We had ants and have great luck with the terro traps. They are not real expensive. We got some outdoor ones as well to set up around the perimeter of the house.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:15 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkmrsteel View Post
If you don't want to spent $1 per ant trap, but would rather spend your valuable time fighting with your landlord, that's certainly your prerogative. No matter where I've lived, I've handled the situation myself when I saw the first few ants and it never became an infestation. But to each his own, I guess.

Ants won't only visit you if you have "nasty people" living around you. We're not nasty and they are driven into our home by heavy rain or really hot conditions. It's not like cockroaches. They're ants!
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
Old 07-07-2012, 01:32 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

We took care of it today, killing them with 409 spray, wiping counter tops with ammonia, and laying ant and everything powder around the edges of the walls, all the way around the place, and where the ants had lines running, then sprayed around the front doer on the out side with raid ant stuff.

We still cant stay there tonight, but should be able to return tomorrow. We will however be deducting rent for the past two days at the end of the month.

Still a few ants in the fish tanks, hope they don't hurt to much... Being at the place gave me a chance to check up on things, and test the water. Everything seems to be doing well. Although none of the fish (fresh or salt water) where interested the slightest in eating any ants.
Old 07-07-2012, 09:32 PM   #19
AA Team Emeritus

I use Combat ant or roach gels and they work dreamy, about the same as what is used by professional exterminators where traditional baits, sprays, or foggers can't be used.
Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:41 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkmrsteel View Post
We will however be deducting rent for the past two days at the end of the month.
Make sure your landlord agrees to this before you do it. You could be evicted for lack of payment otherwise if they decide to get nasty about it.

Glad you found a method that worked for you.

Tags
infestation

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com