Ant infestation in home!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LyndaB said:
Make sure your landlord agrees to this before you do it. You could be evicted for lack of payment otherwise if they decide to get nasty about it.

Glad you found a method that worked for you.

Yeah, it was a real bad experience. WE told them we would be, because they where doing nothing about the ants. They flipped and said they where going to meet us there to look, although they never did. We ended up cleaning it our selfs, and are back in our home now.

We are going over the lease agreement to make sure we have the right in this situation to withhold days rent.

Purely my opinion, but something that could have easily been taken care of with <$10 in supplies that you let get out of control knowing that they would do nothing... I don't think you're going to get any kind of lowered rent. In fact, I think most lease agreements include something about taking reasonable measures to prevent such incidents.

mfdrookie516 said:
Purely my opinion, but something that could have easily been taken care of with <$10 in supplies that you let get out of control knowing that they would do nothing... I don't think you're going to get any kind of lowered rent. In fact, I think most lease agreements include something about taking reasonable measures to prevent such incidents.

We have read the agreement and followed as we should have. the pest day was on wednesday in the contract, and that we where to notify before that day.

We first noticed ants on monday, and emailed them the next day at lunch. Because wed was the 4rth of july, they came the day before. However, the contract has no alternative day if the stated day falls on a holliday. It was nothing that slowly built over a week or more, this was over night!

Thanks for every ones help and support. With more heavy rains, even after they came and sprayed, and our traps and such used, we are still dealing with small out brakes at times. Think the weather is just driving them out of there homes, to bad it had to be into ours. As I gathered just today, we are not the only ones with this problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm having a similar problem with little flying bugs in the wifes and i's bedroom. Only perked up within last 2 days with extreme heat. But they are coming in through a light fixture and the people above just moved out so u can only imagine what's upstairs. So I'm phoning my rental agency to cone inspect it. Thankfully I was the previous caretaker and when I want something done it gets done. I'm in Canada so I'm sure your rental laws are different. But up here 1 ant ='s many ants lol

I make my own ant traps using small plastic containers, with a 50/50 mixture of powdered or icing sugar and Borax.Access is through small holes around the sides, Works well as the sugar /Borax mix is carried back to the nest where it kills everything.

BillD said:
I make my own ant traps using small plastic containers, with a 50/50 mixture of powdered or icing sugar and Borax.Access is through small holes around the sides, Works well as the sugar /Borax mix is carried back to the nest where it kills everything.

Awesome idea! Here in Virginia we get these seasonal cockroach looking things and they are RELENTLESS! writing that one down. I've wanted to use borax on them but I have a two year old trotting around.

Back
Top Bottom