Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-05-2012, 02:20 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ant infestation in home!

My girl friend and I stay in an aprt together. We have a 20 gal fresh water, 75 gal salt water, and 35 gal tank with our ball python "Grim"living with us.

with hot summer hear, some small black ants have been showing up, and we sent the land owner an email about it. Nothing big tell today finding the place infested with ants every where now. The place is almost uninhabitable, if they get any worse it will be. They are not in our place for food, but using us to get to others, very aggravating!

I'm concerned about the tanks, what to do with them if we have to leave, or bomb the place, idk!

I'm trying to get the right people on the phone today to get this taken care of.

Old 07-05-2012, 02:23 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't see any need to bomb a place for ants. You should be able to get a spray for the perimeters of rooms and the house which should cause them to die off shortly after without a food source or means to find one

Old 07-05-2012, 03:10 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I did pest control for about 4 years. Don't waste your time with the bombs they are crap. Coupe of questions:
Are the ants big or small?
What has the weather been like lately really dry or really wet?
Do you put all your dishes away every day?

What you need to do is get you're landlord to contact a pest control company. If it is a big apartment complex they usually have a company they use. A pest company would use traps "typically" that have a colony elimination poison that means when an ant gets in it they pick up the poison they pass it along to every other ant they touch. Which is a lot because they clean each other constantly.

This tactic also keeps from getting poison on everything you own like a bomb would.
Old 07-05-2012, 03:14 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrc8858
I don't see any need to bomb a place for ants. You should be able to get a spray for the perimeters of rooms and the house which should cause them to die off shortly after without a food source or means to find one
using a product that has a residual value is the key. Nothing you buy on the shelf has that, as the gov does not trust the general public with such chemicals for good reason. If it was just a few ants I would say yes to this.
Old 07-05-2012, 03:19 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Same problem here. Kinda funny you posted this today. My landlord is supposed to send exterminator out today. No ants around tank but really bad in kitchen. Gutted cabinets and dishes, sprayed everything, cleaned up afterwards and still finding ants. It's been really hot here in Kentucky, what effect does that have on a colony? Anyways, hoping for the best. Should I cover my tank to be safe? Afraid that will overheat my tank.
Old 07-05-2012, 03:23 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfighter
Same problem here. Kinda funny you posted this today. My landlord is supposed to send exterminator out today. No ants around tank but really bad in kitchen. Gutted cabinets and dishes, sprayed everything, cleaned up afterwards and still finding ants. It's been really hot here in Kentucky, what effect does that have on a colony? Anyways, hoping for the best. Should I cover my tank to be safe? Afraid that will overheat my tank.
Heat and dry conditions force them in looking for water. To much rain forces them in looking to get where its dry.

When they find food or water though they leave a phermone trail so all the ants know where to go. So wiping things down constantly its key to breaking their trails.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:24 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

We had to abandon our apartment today, they grew worse over the day, and over ran the place! The apartment is uninhabitable for now, best I can do is feed the fish tomorrow, try being there when they spray, and hope for the best... Thankfully everything is on a timer at least.

They are small black ants,

They where not really on the tanks when we left, more concerned for the snake.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:36 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Sorry to hear that. My wife has been totally freaking out and it's just a few now in the kitchen. They were supposed to spray today but still came home to some live ones in the kitchen. Don't know if they are supposed to die right away or live a short time after spraying but hopefully you can go home soon.best of luck.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:28 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkmrsteel
We had to abandon our apartment today, they grew worse over the day, and over ran the place! The apartment is uninhabitable for now, best I can do is feed the fish tomorrow, try being there when they spray, and hope for the best... Thankfully everything is on a timer at least.

They are small black ants,

They where not really on the tanks when we left, more concerned for the snake.
I'm not sure about the tanks, but if your place is gonna be bug bombed, I would at least move the snake if its housing is a reasonable size. We used to live in an apartment with our ball python collection, which constantly had bugs thanks to some nasty neighbors. I remember the exterminator telling me that on another job the people left their snake and he had no idea until the next day when the people called reporting a snake death caused by the sprays and fumes. I hate to hear that though. I would definitely tape garbage bags over every possible air leak on the tanks.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:58 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

I know it's an infestation but whenever I get ants I use Terro Ant Trap. they swarm it for a couple days then just disappear. Longest it's taken to work is a week. If you have small children or free roaming pets you have to be careful but I've been nothing but amazed out how well it works.

Ant Problem? Terro = Ant Control Solutions

65 gallon freshwater | 14 neon tetras | 6 emerald cories | 2 zebra nerites | 5 guppies | 2 dwarf gouramis | 1 bulldog pleco | 1 golden apple | 1 bamboo shrimp | water wisteria | java fern | anubias nana | java moss
Iodizedfate is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
infestation

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com