Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-28-2005, 06:04 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist
I've also been through every antivirus program ever...Nortons, mcafee, avg, pandasoft, antivir, sophos etc. Am now using NOD32, and I love it. Hogs a bit more resources than antivir, but it's clean and effective. Anyone else use it?

24g Community: Dwarf Gourami's, Neons, Platties, Clown Loach and a Chinese Algae Eater.
29G Nature Aquarium: Got first 6 serpae tetra, will be adding more soon.
65G Nature Aquarium: Cycling.
Old 03-01-2005, 08:14 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via Yahoo to deli_conker
I currently don't use anything on my system. I've spent so much time learning about how they work that I feel pretty confident in taking care of them. I do have to be observant in the latest trends in how they're written and code execution, but learning all that makes it easier to deal with them.

I'm sure that sounds crazy to some, but it works for me and I've been virus free for all 6 months that I dropped the protection. Just understanding the OS makes a big difference (not a cursory understanding, but actually being able to write your own tweaks).

When I did use Anti Virus, I used Norton Corporate. Way better than the home version...

Old 03-01-2005, 09:25 AM   #13
I use norton corporate. I got it free from Penn State when I became a student there. Have been using it ever since without no problems with it or viruses ever. I use Sygate Personal Firewall too. No problems with it either.
Old 03-01-2005, 01:11 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus
I've always been a fan of norton, when Purchased my laptop a little over a year ago it came with Mcafee. I can't STAND that thing. It disables itself at least twice each time while I'm using the computer. Constantly pops up little "reminders" that it's "doing what its supposed to be" (thats nice.. now go away!) with no option to turn the messages off... and at least once or twice a month, it downloads an update that requires me to reboot, and disables the antivirus until I reboot... I feel like I'm a slave to the antivrus program. as soon as the free subscription is up I'm heading out and picking up a copy of Norton.... if not sooner!
Acronyms and Abbreviations
Old 03-01-2005, 01:20 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict
I couldn't agree more. Mcafee has turned out to be annoying and too much work to keep it straight.
Old 03-01-2005, 02:35 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via AIM to flipz
I have always been a Norton person. My fiance's laptop came with 1 year free of Mcafee so she used it. After 7 months her comp was having all sorts of problems. I ran all the anti-spyware stuff, made sure Mcafee was all updated, etc etc and could never get the problems fixed.

I installed Norton, it detected 3 infected files, cleaned them, and the comp was all fixed. I'll never use Mcafee again... even if it is free.

Although I did go about 4 years without any anti-virus at all without ever catching anything. But I get free Norton from my university now so I just use it. heh
Come join the Ohio forum on AA!
Old 03-03-2005, 09:20 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via Yahoo to deli_conker
I wouldn't use the home version of norton. Has some of the same issues that macafee has with the messages and the like. There's nothing like lining up a shot with your railgun on the current leader when everything suddenly minimizes so that the anti-virus program can tell you that there is an update available for download.

I'll pass on the AV software. A good understanding of user permissions, firewall use, javascript, and common sense are all I need.

Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com