Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-30-2005, 06:51 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok, I think I figured out the train set. It's a Lionel produced in 1924. My grandfather got it from his father for a Christmas present. I BELIEVE it's a Lionel. The name just stood out as being correct. But he got it when he was 5 years old.

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Old 03-30-2005, 07:03 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Sorry I couldn't validate your answer before now FF, but from what you've described, it is more than likely Lionel.

Lionel preceded the HO guage sets by several years and was the "must have" set for anyone who wanted "Lifelike" sets.

That being said, hobbyists are always on the look-out for sets from the area you mention. Big $$$$ have been offered. Here are a couple of links if you're interested:

http://www.lionelcollectors.org/default.asp
http://www.collectorauctions.com/

Old 03-30-2005, 07:09 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thank you JChillin! The set has been sitting in the basement for years and are in perfect condition. A child has never touched them.

55 Gallon Community
Old 03-31-2005, 10:00 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

my grandfather was also REALLY in to model trains. He had a huge house and in the basement was a LOCKED room. Probably 20x20 or so. There was just enough room to walk in and sit on the control chair. He had an entire province/state setup. The train would go up into the mountains and through tunnels, then acroos a river and finally down through the village. He had people all over the streets and vintage cars and trucks too. He even had real water running for the river. Now that i'm into fish wonder if he could have kept some small fish in the lake at the base of river/mountain. I used to spend the entire visit just watching the trains go around and around...
Old 03-31-2005, 10:04 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If it's old and heavy (and expensive), it is most likely Lionel. Some of that old Lionel stuff is ridiculously valuable.

It could also be American Flyer.

And the men who spurred us on sit in judgment of all wrong, they decide and the shotgun sings the song.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Euphyllia, Alveopora, Pachyclauvularia (Metallic Green and Daisy), Frogspawn, Torch, Gold Nepthea, Kenya Tree, Galaxea, Pulsing Xenia, various leather (umbrella, toadstool, fingers, devil fingers, lettuce)
Maroon Clown/White tip LT anemone, Powder Blue Tang, Female Swallow Angel, SixLine Wrasse, Solar Fairy Wrasse, Firefish, Fathead Anthias, Blue Mandarin, 3 Chromis, 3 Green Gobies
Old 03-31-2005, 11:01 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

It's a Lionel. I looked online at the boxes and some of the cars and I can still remember sitting there and watching the cattle car go by and the coal car. The main thing I remember though was the engine. It felt like it weighed a ton. Then again, the only time he ever let me hold it was when it was in the box and i was probably 6.

55 Gallon Community
Old 03-31-2005, 11:10 PM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchillin
Sorry I couldn't validate your answer before now FF, but from what you've described, it is more than likely Lionel.
I ascertained that just from the description. American Flyer was similiar but just didn't have the resources to keep up with Lionel. There's also a little history between Lionel and the Union of Railway Car Men, but that's for another thread.
Old 04-01-2005, 04:03 AM   #18
God of primitive fishes

Send a message via MSN to Toirtis Send a message via Yahoo to Toirtis
I may get back into railroading again, but if I do, it will be live steam....possibly as small as 0 gauge, or I might go garden.
www.calgaryaquariumsociety.com
Old 04-01-2005, 11:02 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to webmoose
I have HO scale in storage right now.. I am a difficult person to live with. I also have multiple telescope/computer/cd/dvd collection.

I would love to set up a small scale as space is why my HO is in storage.. I might follow your lead Chillin and set my HO up on a chunck of plywood i could store in the shed..

I also built a model airplain with engine and all but after all the work I didn't want to fly it and loose all my work.. haha

Moooose

8 Gallon hex - 3 F1 Black Brichardi and fry..("Lamprologus sp. Walter")

10 gallon work tank - Pair of dwarf gourami and 2 cherry barbs / 2 gallon - 4 Fundulopanchax gardneri / 10 gallon - bunch of killitanks

Vote Here for Aquarium Advice
Old 04-01-2005, 11:25 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I also built a model airplain with engine and all but after all the work I didn't want to fly it and loose all my work.. haha
My fiance is a RC airplane freek! He has 7 RC airplanes in our teeny tiny apt right now and on a monthly basis he crashes at least one. But he says thats the fun of it, he gets to repair them and really make it his work.

55 Gallon Community
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com