Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-27-2005, 06:38 PM   #1
AA Team Emeritus
Any Model Railroader's out there?

Well, the years go by and sometimes you forget what you have. When we moved several years ago, we packed everything that wasn't absolutely necessary and just stored it in boxes.

My son had a chance to go through the boxes and pulled out his model railroad, set it up outside and we've been having fun ever since. We will be looking to set the entire thing back up (houses, mountains, tunnels, etc.) but it did bring back some memories.

Here's a sample.

Happy Railroading!

Old 03-27-2005, 07:23 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Sweet! I got my first HO set years ago, and bought trees and buildings and such but I never got around to doing anything with it. All that is left is the train, and the standard track it came with. Have fun!

Old 03-27-2005, 07:26 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus
Well, I might be tempted to take that equipment off your hands...Send me a PM if interested.
Old 03-27-2005, 08:21 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Sounds like fun. I was into trains as a youth but now its fish. haha. I cant fathom having both addictions.

Trains are definatly a way for father and son to enhance their bond.
Remember dont tap the glass, your fish will think you're an idiot -Anonymous mother

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
Old 03-27-2005, 10:52 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular
Send a message via Yahoo to anna8297
My grandfather loved model trains. He spearheaded the model railroad club at his retirement community in Jax Beach. People were so impressed that they were recruited by Ronald McDonald house to do a fund raiser every year at Xmas. They would rent a space in the local mall and charge a couple bucks admission. The whole store space would be filled with railroad track. They still have a little room at the retirement center with the trains set up in it.

Have fun with yours!
10 gal SW QT tank, sanddollars, hermit crab, snails

10 gal hex, FW w/ baby angels.

55 gal FW, 8 angels (various genetics).

90 gal SW, 2 blue chromis, 1 three stripe damsel, 60 lbs LR, Christmas Tree worm, long spine urchins, 2 brittle stars, 8 hermit crabs, 3 bumble bee snails, 2 margarita snails, 2 Ocellaris clowns, Regal Blue Tang, Chocolate Chip star, pygmy angel, bangaii cardinal, yellow tang, LTA, carpet anemone, 3 peppermint shrimp, and still growing!
Old 03-28-2005, 01:36 AM   #6
God of primitive fishes
Send a message via MSN to Toirtis Send a message via Yahoo to Toirtis
Not now, but 20 years ago I was pretty heavily into N-scale.....now I just visit my local train shop (about 3 blocks from my house): http://www.trainsandsuch.com/
G. A. Christian Bilou, Herpetologist
Founder/Director, Reptile Rescue Alberta
Past-President, Calgary Aquarium Society
Old 03-28-2005, 03:27 AM   #7

i think its on your porch anyways you got alotta stuff around that

anyways nice train set
Old 03-30-2005, 10:18 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
My grandfather bought an entire set of trains. I can't remember the brand, but the tracks are metal and run by electricity with sharp pieces. The cars are pretty big and heavy (solid metal), and the engine actually smokes and blows it's horn. From what I've heard it is a very expensive collectors item nowadays. I wish I could remember the brand. The cars are in orange boxes with off white trim and the letters are a dark color, maybe green or black. I BELIEVE that's the color, but I do know that it is in orange boxes. Every year he would set them up around the christmas tree and the rest of the year he had it running in his woodworking shop. We weren't allowed to touch them because apparently they are VERY VERY old. Does anyone know anything about this specific train set?
Vote for Aquarium Advice

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Old 03-30-2005, 10:36 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via AIM to mitche8359
The three year old is into Thomas The Tank Engine wooden train sets. Does that count? We've been going to Train shows since he was 1. As much as he loves trains, I wouldn't be surprised to see us building a model railroad in the next year or so. His grandfather used to be heavily into railroads and has already told us we could have his old stuff.

55 gal fresh - planted 2wpg ~ Eheim eco filter ~ south american theme
java moss - misc anubia - amazon sword - Red rubin sword - tennellus chain swords
4 ottos, 1 pleco, 3 high fin white tetras, 3 Black Phantom Tetras, 1 high fin black tetra, 1 black tetra, 2 diamond tetras, 3 yoyos

Join the Ohio Regional Forum and share information with local enthusiasts
Vote for Aquarium Advice Today
Old 03-30-2005, 10:39 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Some day I'll have enough space for an HO layout. I've been waiting since I was 8 years old.

We'll be fighting in the streets with our children at our feet, and the morals that they worshipped will be gone.

And the men who spurred us on sit in judgment of all wrong, they decide and the shotgun sings the song.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Euphyllia, Alveopora, Pachyclauvularia (Metallic Green and Daisy), Frogspawn, Torch, Gold Nepthea, Kenya Tree, Galaxea, Pulsing Xenia, various leather (umbrella, toadstool, fingers, devil fingers, lettuce)
Maroon Clown/White tip LT anemone, Powder Blue Tang, Female Swallow Angel, SixLine Wrasse, Solar Fairy Wrasse, Firefish, Fathead Anthias, Blue Mandarin, 3 Chromis, 3 Green Gobies
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com