Any Model Railroader's out there?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jchillin

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well, the years go by and sometimes you forget what you have. When we moved several years ago, we packed everything that wasn't absolutely necessary and just stored it in boxes.

My son had a chance to go through the boxes and pulled out his model railroad, set it up outside and we've been having fun ever since. We will be looking to set the entire thing back up (houses, mountains, tunnels, etc.) but it did bring back some memories.

Here's a sample.

Happy Railroading!

Sweet! I got my first HO set years ago, and bought trees and buildings and such but I never got around to doing anything with it. All that is left is the train, and the standard track it came with. Have fun!

Sounds like fun. I was into trains as a youth but now its fish. haha. I cant fathom having both addictions.

Trains are definatly a way for father and son to enhance their bond.

My grandfather loved model trains. He spearheaded the model railroad club at his retirement community in Jax Beach. People were so impressed that they were recruited by Ronald McDonald house to do a fund raiser every year at Xmas. They would rent a space in the local mall and charge a couple bucks admission. The whole store space would be filled with railroad track. They still have a little room at the retirement center with the trains set up in it.

Have fun with yours!

CLEAN YOUR PORCH!

i think its on your porch anyways you got alotta stuff around that

anyways nice train set

My grandfather bought an entire set of trains. I can't remember the brand, but the tracks are metal and run by electricity with sharp pieces. The cars are pretty big and heavy (solid metal), and the engine actually smokes and blows it's horn. From what I've heard it is a very expensive collectors item nowadays. I wish I could remember the brand. The cars are in orange boxes with off white trim and the letters are a dark color, maybe green or black. I BELIEVE that's the color, but I do know that it is in orange boxes. Every year he would set them up around the christmas tree and the rest of the year he had it running in his woodworking shop. We weren't allowed to touch them because apparently they are VERY VERY old. Does anyone know anything about this specific train set?

The three year old is into Thomas The Tank Engine wooden train sets. Does that count? We've been going to Train shows since he was 1. As much as he loves trains, I wouldn't be surprised to see us building a model railroad in the next year or so. His grandfather used to be heavily into railroads and has already told us we could have his old stuff.

Ok, I think I figured out the train set. It's a Lionel produced in 1924. My grandfather got it from his father for a Christmas present. I BELIEVE it's a Lionel. The name just stood out as being correct. But he got it when he was 5 years old.

Sorry I couldn't validate your answer before now FF, but from what you've described, it is more than likely Lionel.

Lionel preceded the HO guage sets by several years and was the "must have" set for anyone who wanted "Lifelike" sets.

That being said, hobbyists are always on the look-out for sets from the area you mention. Big $$$$ have been offered. Here are a couple of links if you're interested:

http://www.lionelcollectors.org/default.asp
http://www.collectorauctions.com/

Thank you JChillin! The set has been sitting in the basement for years and are in perfect condition. A child has never touched them. :D

my grandfather was also REALLY in to model trains. He had a huge house and in the basement was a LOCKED room. Probably 20x20 or so. There was just enough room to walk in and sit on the control chair. He had an entire province/state setup. The train would go up into the mountains and through tunnels, then acroos a river and finally down through the village. He had people all over the streets and vintage cars and trucks too. He even had real water running for the river. Now that i'm into fish wonder if he could have kept some small fish in the lake at the base of river/mountain. I used to spend the entire visit just watching the trains go around and around...

If it's old and heavy (and expensive), it is most likely Lionel. Some of that old Lionel stuff is ridiculously valuable.

It could also be American Flyer.

It's a Lionel. I looked online at the boxes and some of the cars and I can still remember sitting there and watching the cattle car go by and the coal car. The main thing I remember though was the engine. It felt like it weighed a ton. Then again, the only time he ever let me hold it was when it was in the box and i was probably 6.

Jchillin said:
Sorry I couldn't validate your answer before now FF, but from what you've described, it is more than likely Lionel.

I ascertained that just from the description. American Flyer was similiar but just didn't have the resources to keep up with Lionel. There's also a little history between Lionel and the Union of Railway Car Men, but that's for another thread.

I have HO scale in storage right now.. I am a difficult person to live with. I also have multiple telescope/computer/cd/dvd collection.

I would love to set up a small scale as space is why my HO is in storage.. I might follow your lead Chillin and set my HO up on a chunck of plywood i could store in the shed.. :)

I also built a model airplain with engine and all but after all the work I didn't want to fly it and loose all my work.. haha

Moooose

I also built a model airplain with engine and all but after all the work I didn't want to fly it and loose all my work.. haha

My fiance is a RC airplane freek! He has 7 RC airplanes in our teeny tiny apt right now and on a monthly basis he crashes at least one. But he says thats the fun of it, he gets to repair them and really make it his work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom