Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-06-2013, 08:06 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Dealing w/ Algae

Quote:
Originally Posted by adnanosmani07 View Post
Awesome I'm so gonna change water 50% and stay something new again with gravel this time for sure and how do you deal with algae on your decor it's like I would clean it and the next day it's back to the same
Hello ad...

A little bit of algae is a good thing. It's a good, natural water filter and supplements your fishes' diet. It's a sign of a healthy tank. You can control its growth with large, weekly water changes and by not feeding the fish and plants too often. The fish will easily live on a couple of small feedings a week, just feed a variety of foods. You only need to dose the plant fertilizer when you remove the water during a water change.

I use floating plants like Anacharis in my tanks. It uses the extra nutrients in the water and gives off a mild, natural chemical that slows the growth of most kinds of algae. The more Anacharis in the water, the less algae you have. Ramshorn snails stay small and remove most forms of algae. There's not a better cleanup crew. These snails won't damage healthy plants.

B

Old 11-06-2013, 09:24 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

I'm guilty of over filtering one of my tanks. 20g long with 2 AquaClear 50s. I believe that is 20x.
I do a weekly ~30% WC.
I added a second one:
• As a means of adding DIY CO2 to the tank via the filter intake
• Insurance in case the original filter dies or is temporarily out of commission

There is more than enough water flow. It is moderately to heavily planted with about a dozen active danios and tetras. The flow does not bother the plants, however, the smaller rooted, more delicate plants can be a bit of a challenge to get established especially with MTS borrowing in the substrate.

On the topic of WCs, if one were to change out X number of gallons per week, what would be preferred...X once a week or half of X twice a week? I left X blank because that is not the focus of the question.

Old 11-06-2013, 10:34 AM   #13
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh2o View Post
I'm guilty of over filtering one of my tanks. 20g long with 2 AquaClear 50s. I believe that is 20x.
I do a weekly ~30% WC.
I added a second one:
• As a means of adding DIY CO2 to the tank via the filter intake
• Insurance in case the original filter dies or is temporarily out of commission

There is more than enough water flow. It is moderately to heavily planted with about a dozen active danios and tetras. The flow does not bother the plants, however, the smaller rooted, more delicate plants can be a bit of a challenge to get established especially with MTS borrowing in the substrate.

On the topic of WCs, if one were to change out X number of gallons per week, what would be preferred...X once a week or half of X twice a week? I left X blank because that is not the focus of the question.
I would go with half of X (v?) twice a week to reduce stress on the fish. I'm assuming they are significant water changes. Also I use buckets each time and the fun wears off after a bit
Old 11-06-2013, 10:36 AM   #14

The reason i asked this is because i switched from a 20g filter on my 20 long with a 50g filter that was from my QT. It seems to have to much flow, is there a way to cut down on it?
Old 11-06-2013, 11:06 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBradbury View Post

Hello ad...

A little bit of algae is a good thing. It's a good, natural water filter and supplements your fishes' diet. It's a sign of a healthy tank. You can control its growth with large, weekly water changes and by not feeding the fish and plants too often. The fish will easily live on a couple of small feedings a week, just feed a variety of foods. You only need to dose the plant fertilizer when you remove the water during a water change.

I use floating plants like Anacharis in my tanks. It uses the extra nutrients in the water and gives off a mild, natural chemical that slows the growth of most kinds of algae. The more Anacharis in the water, the less algae you have. Ramshorn snails stay small and remove most forms of algae. There's not a better cleanup crew. These snails won't damage healthy plants.

B
Kool thanks,

Hey when you do a large amount of wc does it affect the water cycle or does it start a new cycle
Old 11-06-2013, 11:19 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Kool thanks, Hey when you do a large amount of wc does it affect the water cycle or does it start a new cycle
As long as you don't take out any media it doesn't affect it. The bacteria isn't free floating in the wate.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:35 AM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Good topic to discuss...

Thinking about it, if you changed half the tank water daily, you could do away with the filtration altogether. The water would always have enough O2 and the water would be free of all wastes. Just like in nature, there would be a constant source of pure water and wastes would always be removed.

B
Sorry, but this statement isn't true. Changing only 50% of the water (even daily), means it will never be clean. You would still get a continuous buildup of waste, albeit at a much slower rate than if you did it weekly. Unless there is some filtration, whether it be colonization of hard surfaces or an actual add in filter, you will have ammonia present.
In Jack Wattley's Miami discus hatchery they changed 50% of the water daily, but the tanks were also filtered.
The combination of filtration to detoxify the most toxic waste products (ammonia and nitrite) and water changes to remove the less toxic nitrate and assorted other metabolic wastes and toxins, as well as pathogens is the way to clean water, and healthy fish. Large water changes are not detrimental to fish. I have the late Dr Joanne Norton on tape talking about her water changes, where her fish have to lie on their sides to stay wet. Dr. Norton was a major contributor to the hobby, especially in the area of genetics.
Here is an example of a large water change for the non believers. Fast water Changing system from Lucky Tropical Fish farm - YouTube
Old 11-06-2013, 11:53 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brilliant_Barbs_21 View Post
As long as you don't take out any media it doesn't affect it. The bacteria isn't free floating in the wate.
Ok I just learned somethin very impotent, now when I do clean up my canister filter do I put any biological additives in the tank after cleaning up wc with filter clean-up. I clean my canister filter every 6 months
Old 11-06-2013, 05:06 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Water Changes

Quote:
Kool thanks,

Hey when you do a large amount of wc does it affect the water cycle or does it start a new cycle
Hello again ad...

Water changes won't affect the nitrogen cycle, because there is no bacteria in the water itself. The good bacteria lives on surfaces inside the tank, like filter media, lava rock, driftwood and other decorations.

The great thing about large, frequent water changes is they eliminate most, if not all of the problems that can happen in the tank. Water is by far the most important part of the fishkeeping hobby. If you keep the water pure, there's very little that can go wrong.

B
Old 11-06-2013, 05:14 PM   #20

Quote:

Hello again ad...

Water changes won't affect the nitrogen cycle, because there is no bacteria in the water itself. The good bacteria lives on surfaces inside the tank, like filter media, lava rock, driftwood and other decorations.

The great thing about large, frequent water changes is they eliminate most, if not all of the problems that can happen in the tank. Water is by far the most important part of the fishkeeping hobby. If you keep the water pure, there's very little that can go wrong.

B
Ok awesome thanks big guy!, I'm sure my fishes s are gonna be in a much more better shape now

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com