Any such thing as over filtration?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Water Changes

Sorry, but this statement isn't true. Changing only 50% of the water (even daily), means it will never be clean. You would still get a continuous buildup of waste, albeit at a much slower rate than if you did it weekly. Unless there is some filtration, whether it be colonization of hard surfaces or an actual add in filter, you will have ammonia present.
In Jack Wattley's Miami discus hatchery they changed 50% of the water daily, but the tanks were also filtered.
The combination of filtration to detoxify the most toxic waste products (ammonia and nitrite) and water changes to remove the less toxic nitrate and assorted other metabolic wastes and toxins, as well as pathogens is the way to clean water, and healthy fish. Large water changes are not detrimental to fish. I have the late Dr Joanne Norton on tape talking about her water changes, where her fish have to lie on their sides to stay wet. Dr. Norton was a major contributor to the hobby, especially in the area of genetics.
Here is an example of a large water change for the non believers. Fast water Changing system from Lucky Tropical Fish farm - YouTube

Hi Bill...

Sorry. Your explanation of the water change routine lost me. The water change is the filtration. Everything dissolves in the tank water eventually. This includes fish and plant wastes and everything else you put into the tank water. When you remove the water, you remove the dissolved material whatever it is. The small amount of wastes that are left are diluted in so much pure water, they aren't toxic, like low level nitrates. It's as simple as that.

As I mentioned earlier, by flushing large amounts of pure, treated tap water through the tank, toxins never build up, they are constantly removed. It's the same with freshwater lakes and streams. The water is constantly renewed, so the wastes never build up. The water chemistry is always stable.

B

If you change a lot of tank water and change it frequently, the filter system is just filtering water that's already clean. So, why have an expensive filter system that's just turning over water that's already pure?

B

Hi, stuck on this. I have the filters with bb populations to filter for tds and remove ammonia and nitrite. If I just do water change I assume I would have to do daily water changes? I guess this is a question on the frequency part as I'm assuming it would need to be often or am I missing something?

Hi, stuck on this. I have the filters with bb populations to filter for tds and remove ammonia and nitrite. If I just do water change I assume I would have to do daily water changes? I guess this is a question on the frequency part as I'm assuming it would need to be often or am I missing something?

No just do weekly water change not more then 50%

Hi Bill...

As I mentioned earlier, by flushing large amounts of pure, treated tap water through the tank, toxins never build up, they are constantly removed. It's the same with freshwater lakes and streams. The water is constantly renewed, so the wastes never build up. The water chemistry is always stable.

B

I don't disagree with thgs. It is true, as far as it goes. What is in question is the actual levels between changes of ammonia if you have no filtration. Obviously, if you have constant flow, as in a river, there would be no issues. However, a tank with a once a week water change and no filtration would be a different scenario. Every tank is unique and it is possible it could work in certain situations of very light stocking or lots of plants, but not in general terms.

Ok so I do have a canister filter, with 2 angel fish and a parrot fish, angels are large size and parrot is small in a 50 gallon. I will upgrade tank later on, also with 2 live plants, but in this case if I do a %50 wc shouldn't that be in a good condition for happy fishs

Ok so I do have a canister filter, with 2 angel fish and a parrot fish, angels are large size and parrot is small in a 50 gallon. I will upgrade tank later on, also with 2 live plants, but in this case if I do a %50 wc shouldn't that be in a good condition for happy fishs

I saw this post in another thread. IMO I would only change how ever much you need to keep the nitrates at a decent level (though nitrates are not the only thing that accumulates in the tank). You would have to do a bit of testing and water changes to to determine the appropriate amount of water to change. I mean, 50% should be fine in your case but you might get away with a lesser amount.

I saw this post in another thread. IMO I would only change how ever much you need to keep the nitrates at a decent level (though nitrates are not the only thing that accumulates in the tank). You would have to do a bit of testing and water changes to to determine the appropriate amount of water to change. I mean, 50% should be fine in your case but you might get away with a lesser amount.

Ya wanted to see what everyone has to say, yup im gonna have to upgrade my tank and I'm doing some research for a sump that im planning on building for better quality of water.

Thanks for your input!

Ya wanted to see what everyone has to say, yup im gonna have to upgrade my tank and I'm doing some research for a sump that im planning on building for better quality of water.

Thanks for your input!

Maybe you should start your own thread on how many WC to do each week...

Water Change Frequency

Hello Dela...

Just read your post. The beneficial bacteria and the water change work together and work the same way. The bacteria uses very toxic ammonia from the fish waste and produces nitrite, not as toxic as ammonia. The nitrite using bacteria, a little different kind, produces nitrates. The water change removes the nitrates.

Buy removing large amounts of tank water every week, you remove all the above toxins. The new water dilutes the toxins that are left to the point they don't make the fish sick.

Wastes take time to build up in the water to the point that fish get sick. By removing and replacing the old water with pure water weekly, the fish always live in stable water conditions. The more water you replace and the more often you replace it, the healthier the environment.

B

Hi, many thanks for the reply and info. Did a bit larger water change today and snuck out and got the garden hose to re-fill tank. It was so nice not lifting buckets into the tank. Must hunt around for a water changer or python I think it is called.

Back
Top Bottom