Any such thing as over filtration?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You can't 'over filter' a tank, because a filter will only ever contain enough decomposition organisms to break down the waste products produced on a daily basis, no matter how large it is. So, if your water parameters are all healthy, then your filtration is enough to cope. Of course, if you are going to push the boundaries of stocking recommendations, (such as with Mbuna cichlids) then your filter will have to be capable.

Over Filtration

Is there?

Hello Fish...

I know I'm going against a lot of experience here, but you can over filter your tank. All you really need is a system with a gph (gallon per hour) rating of 4 times the volume of the tank in gallons. The filter system's main purpose is gas exchange, not keeping the water clean. It mixes oxygen into the tank water and the surface movement allows carbon dioxide to escape.

Filtration systems do little to keep the tank water pure. They simply take in toxic water and return water that's a bit less toxic. The key to a healthy tank is large, frequent water changes. I change half the water in my tank every week to 10 days and the fish and plants stay healthy.

If you change a lot of tank water and change it frequently, the filter system is just filtering water that's already clean. So, why have an expensive filter system that's just turning over water that's already pure?

Just a thought.

B

Hello Fish...

I know I'm going against a lot of experience here, but you can over filter your tank. All you really need is a system with a gph (gallon per hour) rating of 4 times the volume of the tank in gallons. The filter system's main purpose is gas exchange, not keeping the water clean. It mixes oxygen into the tank water and the surface movement allows carbon dioxide to escape.

Filtration systems do little to keep the tank water pure. They simply take in toxic water and return water that's a bit less toxic. The key to a healthy tank is large, frequent water changes. I change half the water in my tank every week to 10 days and the fish and plants stay healthy.

If you change a lot of tank water and change it frequently, the filter system is just filtering water that's already clean. So, why have an expensive filter system that's just turning over water that's already pure?

Just a thought.

B

I like your answer, it really makes sense but my fish store tells me to never do half water change unless your fish has a problem wad you think

Sorry, but I can't agree. A filter is not about gaseous exchange, it is about the natural cycle that occurs in all aquatic environments to break down harmful dissolved substances. Yes, the flow mixes oxygen throughout the water column and surface agitation helps release carbon dioxide and other harmful gasses, but the bacteria living in the filter neutralise the ammonia that would otherwise build and poison the fish. Granted, you can maintain a tank by water changes alone, but even then, there will be nitrifying bacteria colonising the tank walls and any decor within the tank, feeding of the lower levels of ammonia you leave behind.

With large water changes, you are merely diluting the ammonia etc, not converting it.

It has been shown that high water flows through filters (in freshwater at least) appear to increase the efficiency of the nitrification process - probably due to extended periods of higher oxygen levels maintained by a higher flow. What large water changes offer are an alternative to filtration. The answer to the the question here, IMO is still no - you can't over filter a tank.

I would also be careful with regular LARGE water changes unless you are certain the water parameters of the new water are of suitable quality, so as not to add any extra undue stress to the aquarium inahabitants. This method is very labour intensive too. A filter system gives you stability within a closed environment as long as you adhere to necessary maintenance procedures.

Sorry, but I can't agree. A filter is not about gaseous exchange, it is about the natural cycle that occurs in all aquatic environments to break down harmful dissolved substances. Yes, the flow mixes oxygen throughout the water column and surface agitation helps release carbon dioxide and other harmful gasses, but the bacteria living in the filter neutralise the ammonia that would otherwise build and poison the fish. Granted, you can maintain a tank by water changes alone, but even then, there will be nitrifying bacteria colonising the tank walls and any decor within the tank, feeding of the lower levels of ammonia you leave behind.

With large water changes, you are merely diluting the ammonia etc, not converting it.

It has been shown that high water flows through filters (in freshwater at least) appear to increase the efficiency of the nitrification process - probably due to extended periods of higher oxygen levels maintained by a higher flow. What large water changes offer are an alternative to filtration. The answer to the the question here, IMO is still no - you can't over filter a tank.

I would also be careful with regular LARGE water changes unless you are certain the water parameters of the new water are of suitable quality, so as not to add any extra undue stress to the aquarium inahabitants. This method is very labour intensive too. A filter system gives you stability within a closed environment as long as you adhere to necessary maintenance procedures.

I have sand in my tank and its so had to clean it but I don't care anymore about the sand so when I siphon I am fully siphon the sand in the top layer it's because I don't know what the black stuff is forming on top of my sand and my decoration are all tops with algaes. I'm thinking of replacing my decoys and use gravel.

Or should I wash it with bleach out something and the sands are almost to none now.

2 med/larg Angel fish
1 med blod parrot

Light timing changed to 8 hr recently from 12 hrs

Over Filtering

Good topic to discuss...

I can't find a negative to large, weekly water changes. When you change the water you remove the toxins. Toxins take time to build up to levels that will hurt your fish. If you continually flush pure water into the tank, there's no time for toxins to build up before the next large change. The fish and plants live in pure water conditions all the time.

Thinking about it, if you changed half the tank water daily, you could do away with the filtration altogether. The water would always have enough O2 and the water would be free of all wastes. Just like in nature, there would be a constant source of pure water and wastes would always be removed.

B

Good topic to discuss...

I can't find a negative to large, weekly water changes. When you change the water you remove the toxins. Toxins take time to build up to levels that will hurt your fish. If you continually flush pure water into the tank, there's no time for toxins to build up before the next large change. The fish and plants live in pure water conditions all the time.

Thinking about it, if you changed half the tank water daily, you could do away with the filtration altogether. The water would always have enough O2 and the water would be free of all wastes. Just like in nature, there would be a constant source of pure water and wastes would always be removed.

B

Awesome I'm so gonna change water 50% and stay something new again with gravel this time for sure and how do you deal with algae on your decor it's like I would clean it and the next day it's back to the same

I don't think there's ever over filtration. I have a powerhead connected to a filter, an hob, an internal filter, live rock, and a deep sand bed in my nano. Filters only add more space for the bacteria to live and breed. But of course nothing can beat regular water changes.

Dealing w/ Algae

Awesome I'm so gonna change water 50% and stay something new again with gravel this time for sure and how do you deal with algae on your decor it's like I would clean it and the next day it's back to the same

Hello ad...

A little bit of algae is a good thing. It's a good, natural water filter and supplements your fishes' diet. It's a sign of a healthy tank. You can control its growth with large, weekly water changes and by not feeding the fish and plants too often. The fish will easily live on a couple of small feedings a week, just feed a variety of foods. You only need to dose the plant fertilizer when you remove the water during a water change.

I use floating plants like Anacharis in my tanks. It uses the extra nutrients in the water and gives off a mild, natural chemical that slows the growth of most kinds of algae. The more Anacharis in the water, the less algae you have. Ramshorn snails stay small and remove most forms of algae. There's not a better cleanup crew. These snails won't damage healthy plants.

B

I'm guilty of over filtering one of my tanks. 20g long with 2 AquaClear 50s. I believe that is 20x.
I do a weekly ~30% WC.
I added a second one:
• As a means of adding DIY CO2 to the tank via the filter intake
• Insurance in case the original filter dies or is temporarily out of commission

There is more than enough water flow. It is moderately to heavily planted with about a dozen active danios and tetras. The flow does not bother the plants, however, the smaller rooted, more delicate plants can be a bit of a challenge to get established especially with MTS borrowing in the substrate.

On the topic of WCs, if one were to change out X number of gallons per week, what would be preferred...X once a week or half of X twice a week? I left X blank because that is not the focus of the question.

I'm guilty of over filtering one of my tanks. 20g long with 2 AquaClear 50s. I believe that is 20x.
I do a weekly ~30% WC.
I added a second one:
• As a means of adding DIY CO2 to the tank via the filter intake
• Insurance in case the original filter dies or is temporarily out of commission

There is more than enough water flow. It is moderately to heavily planted with about a dozen active danios and tetras. The flow does not bother the plants, however, the smaller rooted, more delicate plants can be a bit of a challenge to get established especially with MTS borrowing in the substrate.

On the topic of WCs, if one were to change out X number of gallons per week, what would be preferred...X once a week or half of X twice a week? I left X blank because that is not the focus of the question.

I would go with half of X (v?) twice a week to reduce stress on the fish. I'm assuming they are significant water changes. Also I use buckets each time and the fun wears off after a bit ;)

The reason i asked this is because i switched from a 20g filter on my 20 long with a 50g filter that was from my QT. It seems to have to much flow, is there a way to cut down on it?

Hello ad...

A little bit of algae is a good thing. It's a good, natural water filter and supplements your fishes' diet. It's a sign of a healthy tank. You can control its growth with large, weekly water changes and by not feeding the fish and plants too often. The fish will easily live on a couple of small feedings a week, just feed a variety of foods. You only need to dose the plant fertilizer when you remove the water during a water change.

I use floating plants like Anacharis in my tanks. It uses the extra nutrients in the water and gives off a mild, natural chemical that slows the growth of most kinds of algae. The more Anacharis in the water, the less algae you have. Ramshorn snails stay small and remove most forms of algae. There's not a better cleanup crew. These snails won't damage healthy plants.

B

Kool thanks,

Hey when you do a large amount of wc does it affect the water cycle or does it start a new cycle

Good topic to discuss...

B

Sorry, but this statement isn't true. Changing only 50% of the water (even daily), means it will never be clean. You would still get a continuous buildup of waste, albeit at a much slower rate than if you did it weekly. Unless there is some filtration, whether it be colonization of hard surfaces or an actual add in filter, you will have ammonia present.
In Jack Wattley's Miami discus hatchery they changed 50% of the water daily, but the tanks were also filtered.
The combination of filtration to detoxify the most toxic waste products (ammonia and nitrite) and water changes to remove the less toxic nitrate and assorted other metabolic wastes and toxins, as well as pathogens is the way to clean water, and healthy fish. Large water changes are not detrimental to fish. I have the late Dr Joanne Norton on tape talking about her water changes, where her fish have to lie on their sides to stay wet. Dr. Norton was a major contributor to the hobby, especially in the area of genetics.
Here is an example of a large water change for the non believers. Fast water Changing system from Lucky Tropical Fish farm - YouTube

As long as you don't take out any media it doesn't affect it. The bacteria isn't free floating in the wate.

Ok I just learned somethin very impotent, now when I do clean up my canister filter do I put any biological additives in the tank after cleaning up wc with filter clean-up. I clean my canister filter every 6 months

Water Changes

Kool thanks,

Hey when you do a large amount of wc does it affect the water cycle or does it start a new cycle

Hello again ad...

Water changes won't affect the nitrogen cycle, because there is no bacteria in the water itself. The good bacteria lives on surfaces inside the tank, like filter media, lava rock, driftwood and other decorations.

The great thing about large, frequent water changes is they eliminate most, if not all of the problems that can happen in the tank. Water is by far the most important part of the fishkeeping hobby. If you keep the water pure, there's very little that can go wrong.

B

Hello again ad...

Water changes won't affect the nitrogen cycle, because there is no bacteria in the water itself. The good bacteria lives on surfaces inside the tank, like filter media, lava rock, driftwood and other decorations.

The great thing about large, frequent water changes is they eliminate most, if not all of the problems that can happen in the tank. Water is by far the most important part of the fishkeeping hobby. If you keep the water pure, there's very little that can go wrong.

B

Ok awesome thanks big guy!, I'm sure my fishes s are gonna be in a much more better shape now

Back
Top Bottom