anybody ever use these on your cat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would think they would be uncomfortable and keep the kitty from retracting it's claws completely. My cats would probably chew them off, or at least worry themselves to no end trying to remove them.

That's cool fishfreek. Perhaps I'm wrong. I just can invision my cats high stepping with them on their feet. How long do they last?

i dont know, IMHO i would say if i were a cat, that would annoy me like those sock with the line that is at the tip of your toes, i hate those socks so i wouldnt like those things

but if the cat doesnt mind i would be a-ok with thm

They are vinyl and supposedly last from 4-6 weeks. They fall off with the "husk" when a cat sheds it nails. The site says that a cat can fully retract their claws while they are wearing them. I think the cat would have to exert so much pressure to poke through them, that the claw would break first. I can see a cat chewing at them, but they chew at the husks anyways.

It probably would take a while for the cat to get used to them. But it's either that or declaw/cat welfare.

I don't know too many cats that would sit still long enough for you to glue vinyl caps over each of their nails. 8O How about trimming, or filing the nails down?

QTOFFER said:
How about trimming

This is what I do. My cats are old though and claws/scratching furniture really isn't an issue anymore. They are having a good day if they just get up to eat.

A former co-worker brings his blue-point Siamese to a groomer to have her nails trimmed every couple of weeks. He told me that the pros can do in minutes what would take him hours - with little, or no spilled human blood! :p

The vet gave me a set of those things to try on Nemo when we first adopted him because he would claw at everything. He would walk funny when they were on. I think beacuse he knew that they were on. He just doesn't like anything touching him, except for a person petting him of course. Thankfully the vet took them off for us because he sure didn't like them.

Filing and trimming are a lot more work/money than the vinyl covers just because the covers last a while and the filing has to be done every week or so. If you can take the time to file/trim, then you can take the time to glue.

I'm not going to spend $ to take them to a groomer to do this; I don't have a disposable income to throw at a groomer for something I can do at home.

I spoke to my neighbor and she said it would probably be akin to a woman wearing fake nails; after a while you get used to them.

All said though, I'm curious to hear from people who have actually used them instead of speculation about how they might affect the cat (not that I mind hearing people's opinions).

QTOFFER said:
A former co-worker brings his blue-point Siamese to a groomer to have her nails trimmed every couple of weeks. He told me that the pros can do in minutes what would take him hours - with little, or no spilled human blood! :p

I dunno...it takes me about 3 minutes to trim all the claws on one of my cats.

Wow, you just don't get things like that in the UK!! :lol:

We trim our two boys claws when they get a bit long, takes no time at all and as long as two of us do it (one to hold the cat and one to trim) and we talk to them when we're doing it, they don't mind.

Having seem some of the things my two can chew through, I don't think they would last 4-6 weeks especially if they are just vinyl. :D

Carol

My mine concern is my one year old getting her eyes scratched out. Even by trimming and filing, the claws ar still sharp enough to do some damage. My cat is fairly territorial and will scratch at anybody coming within inches of him as a warning. He also likes to grab people walking by the couch while he is hiding under it. He does not discriminate between somebody who has thick enough skin to withstand his playful antics and that of a one year old child who sees him as a fuzzy, walking toy who does not understand (until it is too late) that he can cause pain.

At this point I'm thinking that it really depends on the cat as to whether they are effective or not. If they do not work, he's either going to have to find a new home or lose his front claws. I do not want to do either, but his willingness to scratch at the face of my daughter makes it necessary. It would be different if he was only scratching at me or just clawing the furniture; I can defend myself and the furniture feels very little pain. She has no way of knowing what type of permanent damage he can potentially dole out and doesn't stay away from him because of it.

As much as I disagree with declawing, I would suggest that. There are more humane ways now... they do it with lazars, you can hardly even tell, and the cat (at least what the vet said to my neighbor) feels only a little pain for a couple of days... the only way I would not suggest de-clawing is if this is an indoor/outdoor cat... If he does go outside, and you decide to declaw, PLEASE break him of outside BEFORE you declaw. My neighbor has a declawed cat that stays out all the time, it just drives me nuts because I have two very cat aggressive dogs, and I am so afraid her cat will be in my yard when I let them out. I try to be very careful, but I am sure not everyone extends the same courtesy.

I feel that declawing would be the best bet here, its for the safety of your daughter... and I also know that you are teaching her good kitty etiquette :wink:

Ive said this before... and i will say it again.

I would rather some one declaw their cat, to be able to keep them as a pet... than to "throw them away" because they don't believe in declawing.
In a situation like this, declawing is much more humane that finding a home

Also, when you declaw, its like any surgery.. its uncomfortable at first, but give it a few days and you are back to normal.

After reading the above few posts, I think I am going to try the softpaws out. The reasoning for this is...

• You can't un-declaw a cat.
  • If the softpaws don't work out, I can always declaw if necessary.
  • If they do work, then it's a happy medium for all (he just won't "get it").
Unless somebody can give me a solid reason why not to get them, then I probably will.

He is an indoor cat, but we share a balcony with our neighbors and they have several cats as well. Technically he goes outdoors, but not in real sense. I think I'm going to get the red softpaws that way he can tell the neighbor cats that he just killed a man (they will fear his supreme prowess, and not start any fights with him; thus fear will be his defense).

That seems like a good idea, i've never seen them before..
He's scratched the baby a couple of times
If a cat scratched my baby just once, it'd be out the window in a flash.
but thats jmo

DeFeKt said:
If a cat scratched my baby just once, it'd be out the window in a flash.
but thats jmo

:zip:
neither the cat nor baby understands whats going on....

I think giving the soft paws a try are a great idea... you dont have much to loose. If the cat wont tolerate them, then you have no choice but to declaw, or find him a new home, and I couldnt imagine that. Kitty is a family member too...
and I know if I saw the red, I would be terrified too :lol: Killer Kitty on the loose!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom