anybody have some free popup blockers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

krap101

Aquarium Advice Addict
yeah ive been getting a ton of popups and im getting kicked out of my game etc etc. so its really annoying

1. Use firefox, it has built in pop-up blocking
2. There is a piece of software called ad-blocker I think. It's icon is a cow.

i use firefox. it doesnt block stuff from niternet explorer though. i maybe have a virus though. usually popups only come when im in explorer or firefox. firefox blocks some but... yeah

Get these things and use them (all free)

www.download.com is where you can find most of this stuff.

Mozilla Firefox
Ad Aware
Spybot Search and Destroy
CCleaner
Tweak Now Registry Cleaner

Kerio Personal Firewall (Blocks ads)
Go here and click download http://www.kerio.com/us/kpf_download.html

Run those weekly and stop using Internet Explorer all together.

Also run Disk Cleanup, Scan Disk, and Defragmenter every week.

All that stuff will keep your computer clean, free of crap, and running at optimum speed.

Oh BTW use AVG (Made by Grisoft) for a good virus software.

disk cleanup is a pain. takes forever to load. i like disk defragmenter cuz u getts watch the pretty lines :)

If you're getting popups while using firefox, then you most likely have something else going on on your pc. Time to look at the processes running in the background...

I've only gotten 3 popups while using firefox. They aren't opened with javascript, but I didn't take the time to check into it either in order to figure it out...

Disc Cleanup takes a while, yes.

CCleaner does the same thing Disc Cleanup does, and more.
Disc Cleanup does clean a little peice of your computer that isnt that important, which CCleaner misses.

Oh,
And Defragmenter and Disc Cleanup are 2 differant things that do 2 differant jobs.

WOW! I received a pop-up while using firefox so I took a moment to look at the source code. It is coming from javascript after all. So many bad things happen through misuse of a fairly powerful scripting language. I'm thinking about disabling it just to be rid of the bad part of the internet...

i love firefox, it blocks most popups but not all. Also, I run ad-aware and spyware doctor every day and when i use firefox i don't get as much junk as when i use Internet Explorer, which i ONLY use when i HAVE to... you know, when you get that error message that says this is only compatible with ... yeah i hate that. Anyway, if you like Yahoo, they have a toolbar that blocks popups, so does google i think and they work ok, but honestly Firefox really is the best webbrowser.

I received a pop-up while using firefox... It is coming from javascript after all... I'm thinking about disabling it just to be rid of the bad part of the internet...
You can block new windows/popups from plugin/script from about:config (in the address bar, enter)->right click->new->integer
Code:
privacy.popups.disable_from_plugins
enter, then whichever value for integer (0, 1, or 2)
0 = allow, 1 = treat as pop up (rules in GUI config apply), 2 = block

about:config rules are cross platform in firefox/mozilla afaik.

HTH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom